OK lets talk Alcohol and being fit and lean......beer or hard liquor?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Remobz, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Remobz

Remobz Platinum Member

Hey all,

We do the running, swimming, skiing, low calorie diet, protein shakes...etc...etc...

Now, we want to socialize with our buddies for the weekend. Going to a night club for a night of fun and other activities.

Anyway, we now have to order our drink....but wait......we do not want a beer gut!!! Rum has sugars....oh Noooo!!!

Ok what should one take that would be considered least threatening (I know that might be a stretch..lol!) to our system.

What about this......

Unflavored vodka, gin, rum, whiskey, with zero cal (or no) mixer/chaser is the best option. If you don't like that go with wine (white is best IMO). If you still don't like that you can go the light beer route (not a great idea IMO as most light beers taste terrible, but I like Corona light the best, I think its like 105 cal).

Unflavored Vodka and soda water with a splash of lime anyone?

Alright, so what do you guys think? What drink would you pick?

Calories vs Carbs

#1 Remobz, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  2. PricklyPete

PricklyPete Lifer

I'm 34, drink 2-3 craft beers a week (occasionally more depending on social events) and have nothing resembling a gut. If you eat well and exercise, moderate drinking is not going to affect your health or weight.

3. Remobz

Remobz Platinum Member

On another forum, one guy said plain ole distilled vodka with rockstar. Damn!

4. Auric

Auric Diamond Member

This or gin for more flavour. Otherwise red wine, especially with meals, since it at least has some health benefits.

5. alkemyst

alkemyst No Lifer

In reality as long as you are figuring the calories into your diet, then it's not really going to matter. I go through 50-60 beers a week now since I am going out more and more all the time. I stick to Mich Ultra or another light beer to keep each one around 100 cals (plus the alcohol cals which are not on the label).

I am dropping a pound a week, every week. I was dropping 2lbs every 3-4 days but I am feeling this now in my workouts. Even if I am not losing lean mass, it's slowing my progress strength-wise.

Now that said if you do the math, I am giving up almost 2 more pounds of fat loss per week in order to enjoy my beer. It's really up to you what you want to sacrifice.

In general, the favorite seems to be red wines. They can be alcohol-dense, have a decent portion size and most find them very palatable.

6. Megatomic

Megatomic Lifer

I prefer Crown Royal neat. Plenty of great whisky taste and no "extra" calories from putting cola in it.

7. VulgarDisplay

VulgarDisplay Diamond Member

Usually the alcohol itself isn't the problem. It's the greasy barfood/general drunken hunger that cause people to associate alcohol with "beer guts."

8. alkemyst

alkemyst No Lifer

this is very true but not really beer guts. People eat insane when drinking I found...I have to resist it at times.

For me it's "Give me your turkey burger, no bun or anything else except maybe some lettuce and tomato.

9. _Rick_

_Rick_ Diamond Member

I order water, juice, soda or with preference watered down juice.
    Depends on what my activities in the night out are.
    Stay away from alcohol, it will * up your brain, liver and dehydrate you.

50-60 beers a week is being an alcoholic, but I guess that explains your nickname.

10. alkemyst

alkemyst No Lifer

No it was due to pharmacy. And no I am not an alcoholic. I have many times in my life not drank anything for long periods.

Obviously you had a problem with it though. Please don't project.

11. _Rick_

_Rick_ Diamond Member

My problem with alcohol is people like you, who strive to get wasted out of their minds, and don't realize how messed up that is.

12. alkemyst

alkemyst No Lifer

I am not pounding these beers down one after another. They are consumed over 12 hour periods usually.

lol at you projecting your own lack of control on anyone that wants to have a few drinks.

Call your 12 step dude or whoever your sponsor is and discuss this insanity and start living again.

13. SociallyChallenged

Lulz at 50-60 being "a few."

14. Sixguns

Sixguns Platinum Member

Hey SC, lets leave Alkys advice alone. He is the perfect male dont you know this by now?

15. alkemyst

alkemyst No Lifer

Well compared to the drinks many have Mich Ultras are very low alcohol drinks. 50-60 is the max I'd have in a weekend. That would be days being out on a boat all day or at an event from morning to the next morning. Average about a beer an hour or so.

16. IceBergSLiM

IceBergSLiM Lifer

so we established that if you aren't drinking 6000 calories per weekend you'll probably be fine.

17. Rvenger

Rvenger Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
    Super Moderator

You must not eat if you are still losing weight.

And being considered an alcoholic is having about a case a day which equates to about 168 beers a week or a fifth of vodka every day. (My dad is an alcoholic.)

18. alkemyst

alkemyst No Lifer

hmm, I have already stated I am giving up about 2lbs of weight loss a week due to my beer on the weeked. For me it's a fair trade. It's the only bad thing I eat or drink all week.

I don't eat pizza, five guys, or other crap...I have never really been a foodie.

My blood work is fine and it's been taken every 8 weeks recently. My health is fine and my bodyfat is melting off of me.

19. SociallyChallenged

Just because you're looking at it in comparison to something else doesn't mean it isn't excessive or extreme. You could also say "I only ate McDonalds six days last week. It's not like I supersized it or anything." Just because it's the better of some bad options doesn't by default mean it is the good option. Timing and proximity of drink to one another don't matter either. Whether you drink 12 beers daily in 3 hours or 8, that is excessive by all means.

20. Corporate Thug

/thread.

I think there is a bit of an overreaction when it comes to alcohol. 100% pomegranate juice = fine. 100% pomegranate juice + shot of vodka = OMG you are going to be a fat pig. It doesn't work that way.

21. alkemyst

alkemyst No Lifer

So are my workouts, so is the level I study, etc.

It works for me.

22. Juddog

Juddog Diamond Member

So you're drinking 50-60 beers a week, over 12 hour periods - that's still a hell of a lot of beer. I couldn't imagine drinking for more than 12 hours in a single day, let alone several times a week!

23. alkemyst

alkemyst No Lifer

Many don't even go out once a week.

24. M0oG0oGaiPan

M0oG0oGaiPan Diamond Member

rum & diet.

But the best thing is to account for the alcohol beforehand or the next day or two. That's what I do if I know I'm going to be playing edward 40hands or something.

[​IMG]

25. IHateMyJob2004

My neighbor and I both run. I told him that i am in a calorie deficit with running. He told me to run 9 miles a day and eat whatever I want. I chuckled.

lesson:
    Exercise alot and food intake matters less. Not hat I condone binge drinking.