OK I am ignorant. Someone pleae tell me about WOW.

Jhill

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
I'm not a big gamer (obviously), but every time I go to a message board (not just this one) I hear about how WOW is so addicting. I hear it over and over "It ruined my life,my boyfriends,my brother skipped class to play it,my son dropped out of college to play it 16 hrs a day etc etc.......

What exactly is so addicting about this game and why can't people stop playing it?

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
http://www.joinwow.org/

The World Organization of Webmasters (WOW) is a leading organization in providing certification and educational resources to web professionals in all phases of their career. As a membership supported organization started in 1996, WOW is a community of thousands of Web professionals worldwide. Your association is committed to provide you with the best in community, quality and affordable educational resources and the best Web professional certification programs on the planet!

Apr 17, 2005
cause people are lame and thought of reaching a lvl 90 thunder mage with a celestial staff of darkness and a +5 dexterity amulet gives them boners.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Inspector Jihad
cause people are lame and thought of reaching a lvl 90 thunder mage with a celestial staff of darkness and a +5 dexterity amulet gives them boners.

Says the guy that knows what one of those characters is. LOL

S Freud

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005

Thats going in the sig.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
My son plays wow, and I sure don't see what the big deal is. The most boring game I've ever seen.

ppdes

May 16, 2004
A society where climbing the ladder is made trivially easy and open to all. You just have to put lots of time in. No hardcore PK where you lose everything on death, so you are safe and sound. It is like the real world, but nothing can go wrong and you becoming better than others is a given as long as you participate.

Freshgeardude

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2006
cause WoW pwns. no really because you try hard to get to the next lvl and as soon as u do u wana get to the next and next thing you know it its 20 lvls later, 2 days later. you got like 300 gold. and your about to hit 40. then like 2 days later you play alot more then 2 days and realize u didnt gain 20 lvls but only 10 so ur goal was 20 so u gotta play some more till ur lvl 70 have all epic armor and weps and you own everyone

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
I was laid off and started an account...perfect time to start, played like 10+ hours a day, drinking coffee, smoking cigarettes (which i have since quit), and collecting unemployment. Went back to work when TBC came out...but I still found the time to lvl to 70, and have only 2 epic items, but am working on the third.

mrkun

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2005
Originally posted by: ppdes
A society where climbing the ladder is made trivially easy and open to all. You just have to put lots of time in. No hardcore PK where you lose everything on death, so you are safe and sound. It is like the real world, but nothing can go wrong and you becoming better than others is a given as long as you participate.

This is why UO pre-Renaissance was so great.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005

Um, please clue me in to what game in hell you are talking about?

Also, this addiction thing isn't new. It has been a fad with almost every major MMO, or actually every major online game, to popularize how 'addictive' and 'destructive' it is.

It's nothing new.

vhx

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2006
I use to play but quit some 9 months ago or so due to guild drama, boredom, and just hated logging on. The game becomes like a job at the end of the game.

It is definitely highly addictive, easy quests give you nice rewards and give you a great sense of accomplishment. WoW definitely ruins lives though, it is true. Even a site dedicated to helping people getting over it by sharing there stories. Lol.
http://www.wowdetox.com/

tasmanian

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2006
Originally posted by: vhx
I use to play but quit some 9 months ago or so due to guild drama, boredom, and just hated logging on. The game becomes like a job at the end of the game.

It is definitely highly addictive, easy quests give you nice rewards and give you a great sense of accomplishment. WoW definitely ruins lives though, it is true. Even a site dedicated to helping people getting over it by sharing there stories. Lol.

Damn im glad i play eve. I can go afk and still train.

vhx

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2006
Originally posted by: tasmanian
Originally posted by: vhx

Damn im glad i play eve. I can go afk and still train.

Coincidentally I play eve occasionally as well. Simply because I can progress while I don't play, and you can generally jump right in and start doing something. :thumbsup:

jackace

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2004
It was fun for a time, but once you hit max level and get the semi easy upgrades the only thing left to do is raid. Raiding takes hours at a time to be successful at and require a set schedule to get enough people on at the same time every night. Most good raiding guilds require 4-6 nights a week starting anywhere from 6-7pm and going till 11pm-1am. Think of it as a job basically. Not to mention you can put this kind of time and effort in and never see an upgrade for weeks if random drops screw you.

Leveling and friendships is the best part of the game. After that its boring as hell. I too agree it would be nice to have some penalty for dying, but letting players 2-3x your level walk up and 1-shot you (and you have no chance in hell of fighting back) and taking your loot would not be fun at all. Atleast not with how WoW is setup now. All the quests are in pretty centralized zones so 1 high level player could terrorize huge numbers of low level characters with absolutely no recourse against this player, but hoping a high level player of there same faction helps them. Not my idea of fun.

S Freud

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
I never could get into that game. Having to run all over the place to do things, then having to run around after to died to find your body. It just seemed like a bunch of "going here, going there."

I tried the 10 day trial and I don't think I played more than two hours total.

Maleficus

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001

My son plays wow, and I sure don't see what the big deal is. The most boring game I've ever seen.

These 2 posts sum it up nicely.

fallenangel99

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2001
I spent almost 1.5 years playing that game. At first, it is FUN FUN FUN. The quests and the leveling are simply just amazing. Once you hit 60, and you get a few epics, it becomes a grind fest. You always have to raid to get gear.. but I'm sure that's changed with the 25-man raids in teh expansion.

I quit once our guild went to another server to play as alliance..No way I'm spending a lot of time again to level a guy to 60.

How is the expansion to those that have played? Fun as leveling from 0 - 60?