Ok Guys, I screwed up HELP!!! (computer problem)

neomits

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
Alright. Long story short, I screwed around using registry hack with explorer.exe and now it won't run. It won't startup when I bootup and when I try to run it through Windows Task Manager it says that its not a valid Win32 application. I've already tried repairing off the WinXP ( Oh yeah this is in WinXP) disc and I've tried to system restore and no such luck. Like I said I can run Windows Task Manager so I can run most of my programs.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!

Rent

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000

<< I messed up explorer >>

If you've tried system restore from the CD, I'm afraid your out of luck... maybe somone else knows.

Mangos

Jun 13, 2001
Run sfc /scannow

It checks all of your files to make sure that they're valid (original).
It will ask for your WinXP CD to repair non-valid files.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
damn mangos.. u beat me.. i just had to do that with a win98 install and it worked great.

neomits

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
nope that didn't work

JUST FORMAT IT!?!?!? what!?!?! right format my 60 GIG drive that has tons of stuff I want to keep on it. No thanks

any other ideas.

this is the explorer.exe file not the registry

Thanks for all your help

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001

<< nope that didn't work

JUST FORMAT IT!?!?!? what!?!?! right format my 60 GIG drive that has tons of stuff I want to keep on it. No thanks

any other ideas.

this is the explorer.exe file not the registry

Thanks for all your help
>>

Copy the explorer.exe file from another computer or CD and paste into the directory it's supposed to be in.

And next time don't play with the registry.

Derango

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2002
Situations like this are why you should keep the OS on a seperate partition from your data ;)

Nemesis77

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2001

<< nope that didn't work

>>

Not to sound like a smartass but... this is a perfect example why you should make a small C:partition and put the OS there, and put everything else on separate partitions. In case you need to reformat and re-install your OS, you don't lose any other data but your OS.

EDIT: Damn! Derango beat me to it :)!

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001

<<

<< nope that didn't work

>>

Not to sound like a smartass but... this is a perfect example why you should make a small C:partition and put the OS there, and put everything else on separate partitions. In case you need to reformat and re-install your OS, you don't lose any other data but your OS.

EDIT: Damn! Derango beat me to it :)!
>>

i do the same, 'cept i go one step further. I partition 3 my HDDs into 3. OS, installation folders, and everything else.