Ok contact users...what kind are you wearing?

Doctorweir

Golden Member
Sep 20, 2000
For me it's soft, one month replacement cycle...

Let's give Viper GTS some input...

Experiences welcome...:)

IcemanJer

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2001
Soft, Bausch & Lombe. 6-month cycle.
I have astigmatism, so my lenses are toric lenses.

Jothaxe

Golden Member
Apr 5, 2001
I have Acuvue disposables. I think they are supposed to be changed every couple weeks, but I am lazy and I usually keep them a few months before throwing them out. This makes a year supply pretty cheap though (like $40.)

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Acuvue daily wear (1-day disposable). Haven't had an eye infection since I started using them! No stupid disinfectant either. Have you ever accidentally used disinfectant instead of saline? That sucks more than anything could possibly suck, aside from maybe having a hot poker shoved in your eye.

DaLeroy

Golden Member
Dec 4, 2000
User hard contact lenses, supposed to last a couple of years. Worth about 125 US bucks a piece. Have had soft non-disposable jobbies, but it didn't clean em enough and they started growing bactaria on them all the time, which made a pain to wear. Love my hard ones now! heaps better. Only worse thing is the running in period, hard ones hurt like hell at first!!!

IcemanJer

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2001
When you buy your contacts, there are 2 things that you need to ask for, at the minimum: 1) how breatheable they are, and 2) the curve index on the lens.

Most of the newer lenses are made with a "revolutionized polymer that allows 60% more Oxygen exchange," therefore the contact lens won't cut off the oxygen supply to your cornea when you wear them. Blocking off oxygen = bad, cornea needs to breathe too.

The curve of the lens needs to be tightly fitted to the shape of your cornea. If the lenses are too flat (relative to your cornea), you'll notice they don't stay centered that well. If the lenses are too curvy, then your eyes dry out VERY fast. Secondly, if you have astigmatism like me, the curve of the lens will also affect the degree of displacement on the lens. Wrong degree = bad vision.

But then of course there are other important things to ask for as well.. like some manufactures don't make the specific power that you require (contact lenses are like old motherboards.. only large incremental increases in power), so you might have to pick the upper or the lower increment. Some lenses are slightly tinted blue, which does nothing as far as I can tell..

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
acuvue 2s, wear them a month instead of 2 weeks. no rub contact solution rules. just squirt some at the suckers and they're good to go. some astigmatism in my right eye but no toric, since my left eye is 20/17 or something with one. i had to drop the res on my 19" FD from 1600x1200 to 1400x1050. if i had a kyro 2 or radeon or something else with good image quality i might be able to go back up to 1600x1200, but fuzzy text plus astigmatism = no go.

SKC

Golden Member
Jan 8, 2001
acuvue2s...yea, I've been wearing the 2 week pair for a month and a lil more...1600x1200 on 20" strains the eyes a lil...but generally it's ok. Where do you get rubless contact solution??

GoldenBear

Banned
Mar 2, 2000
Can someone explain what's wrong with wearing glasses?

Now I don't wear glasses on a full time basis, only for driving, but I really don't care whether they're on or not.

I've also tried contacts once, and my God they were so very abtrusive, and I couldn't imagine having to put them on every morning and taking them off every night.

But if it's the appearance factor that you're worried about...I really don't understand it.

IcemanJer

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2001
The more practice you get, the less annoying the putting on/taking off is. By now I can pop them in and pop them out in 2 seconds. They're convenient for sports, esp contact sports, won't get your glasses banged around. They give you a better range of vision, because for glasses, you only have the centre part of your visual field that are covered by the lens, while the contact lens follows your eyeball movement.

Thirdly, which I think is the most important, is that the worse your eye become, the heavier glasses get (even with the newest featherweight lenses), and with conventional glasses you get this "tunnel vision" where you only get the clearest vision if you're looking directly through the middle of the glasses. With contact lenses, this problem is eliminated since, again, the lens follow your eyeball.

fake

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
RGP's .. replace when I use em (usually have a spare, but I lose one every 4months or so =/)

AznMaverick

Platinum Member
Apr 4, 2001
I wear acuvue 2's and my eye's dry out really fast so i HAVE to change them every two weeks. It wuz worse when i had Baush and Lomb Optima FW's. damn next time i go for a check up i'm gonna sk the doctor for another type.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
alcon labes opti-free no rub. probably right next to the regular opti-free in the grocery store. awesome stuff.

as for glasses, contacts are cleaner. and i can't wear regular sunglasses without them.

IcemanJer

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2001
Mav, make sure you're cleaning them lenses and soaking them overnight after each use. Perhaps you should consult a certified contact lens fitter, who would know things like how cornea curve affect which lens to pick, stuff like that..

Doctorweir

Golden Member
Sep 20, 2000
Oh, Focus lenses by the way...and opti-free one step solution most times...

I also tried hard ones and one-days...I practically made it through all extremes...;)
Finally I am where I am now...it's best for me...:)

But after wearing them for one month all day, they cry for replacement...how can some of you guys manage to wear them longer just to save money...?

AUMM

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2001
i wear hard gas permeable ones ughh, ive been wearing hard contacts since the 6th grade, suposedely the hard ones are better for your eyes, but im gonna be getting soft ones soon. My contacts cost 180 a pair but they last for a loooong time. Does anyone know if hard contacts are really better than soft for your eyes?

BlueScreenVW

Sep 10, 2000
Soft lenses, 6-month, with medium fluid content. I tried higher-fluid 1-month lenses a couple of years ago, but they made my eyes feel pretty dried out due to more excessive evaporation, so I went back to those I use now.

mackstann

Banned
Apr 17, 2001
I don't use contacts...But all I'm wearing right now is a pair of white cut-off shorts.

Ooooohh. Nevermind.;)

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
i wear acuvues. i buy them from weblens.net for $80 for a 6 month supply that can stretch to 9 months or so.

one box of 6 lenses at weblens.net is like $13