OK!.........All you OLD DC FARTS! Time to come out of hidding.

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Hi Amdxborg! :)
Not crunching on your home rig?

No old times for some :biggrin: I started to DC 2 years ago.
You'll blink, & suddenly you'll realise you've been doing it for 10yrs! ;)

Nearly 14yrs crunching here & counting!

JonB

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
www.granburychristmaslights.com
I'm still running DPAD, but not a main pastime anymore.

Started with the COWS (RC5) so many years ago. Never did get Virge a date with my daughter (and she's 28 now). How time flies.

JonB

Viztech

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm still running DPAD, but not a main pastime anymore.

Started with the COWS (RC5) so many years ago. Never did get Virge a date with my daughter (and she's 28 now). How time flies.

JonB

Oh my. Virge and the date thing. That was quite the subject back then.

You may want to watch the rear view mirror in DPAD my friend. :)

I ran RC5 on a bunch of 486s with Win95. What a herd!

Athlex

Golden Member
Jun 17, 2000
Lots of familiar names and avatars in this thread.... Sadly, much of my Folding force has diminished since I manage fewer computers and most of my friends have switched to laptops from desktops.

I should see if I can get a few more clients fired up. I'm kinda shocked my stats haven't been totally steamrolled (still #17), but I guess a decade+ of folding is a good headstart against all the GPU monsters out there. :)

Daishiki

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2001
I guess I'll start Folding again. It's been probably a year or two. Time to put my home rig and some of my new work boxes to use.

wischeez

Golden Member
Jan 31, 2004
Hi there guys! Haven't stopped by in a while.. but it's awesome to see some old names here, hope you're all doin great! Not doing much crunching these days, paying for my electricity now, so that sucks the fun out of it and have new management at work, so there's also a no go! Damn I miss checking the stats everyday!! :)

WOW, the voice from South Africa! Good to see you here again Johan! Hope everything is going well with you.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
JonB! :)
Hey how ya doing?
Didn't you join me and an x (Cat) for UT ~10yrs ago?;)

I guess I'll start Folding again. It's been probably a year or two. Time to put my home rig and some of my new work boxes to use.
Welcome back to folding :)

Daishiki

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2001
Welcome back to folding :)

Thanks. I got 20 cores going now, though 8 of those are only crunching at home while we're asleep, since the fans get loud. I'll probably have to stop two of those after the next WU, since the output isn't worth the power consumption (and noise). Fortunately, my wife is in health care and supports this, even when we were dating.

Trying to get back into the top 100 for Team AnandTech after getting bumped to 105. I thought I would have been much lower after my hiatus. It feels great to be back. I like that the new client let's you set a preference on a disease. My mother in law may have Alzheimer's, so I'm focused on that now.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Nice size DC farm you have! :), what specs are they?

I've got 6.5 mill points (rank 43), I wonder how long it'll be before you pass me? ;)
Currently running my rig at only 50% load & shutting off at night due to the high temps we're getting atm. Normally it'd be on 24/7 @100%

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Well, I been crunching for over 12 years. Number one for Team 198 in F@H, up to 500k ppd.

Wolfie

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Assim, I won't say hi. I won't even post. Just because it has been 3 years since I posted last, doesn't mean I will be back forever. lol Oh wait, I guess I just did...

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Heheh ;), I just PMed someone in Facebook regarding this thread, I 1st knew him here, & latter caught up with him in FB.

Mark
You'd been with us longer than I thought! :)

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
You will not know me by this username. I remember the duo in the state of Washington, RaySun2Bee, the sys admin in Georgia that faced criminal charges, etc .. Been away from DC for about 11 years.

Ray and others on this forum supported me through some very difficult times many years ago.

I wrote some HTML/script/archaic language to support display of DC stats more than a decade ago.

Been gone a VERY long time. What's a good DC project client software that perhaps also makes use of my GPU. Nvidia 650 Ti Boost

This is Dave, the sys admin from Georgia, still hanging in there.
Duo from Washington? Dan C , anyone heard from him?
JwMiddleton?

Just moved to a bigger place in Indianapolis so thinking of firing up a couple of desktops. Have been in crapped 1 bedroom apartments since 2008 in New Jersey, then Chicago Area up until last weekend.

networkman

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Reporting in - 5x5.

Saw the thread got updated - hello Dave, hope you're prospering again!

Shout out to Wolfie too! Been a long time - good to see you again! :)

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
What's a good DC project client software that perhaps also makes use of my GPU. Nvidia 650 Ti Boost

Looks like you got your old name back. :cool:

I think GLeeM answered this , but Folding at Home is good project and uses GPUs, and Seti of course. The other BOINC projects I am not very familiar with.

Wolfie

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Networkman, you don't know how hard it was to remember my password. Haha. The email account that was is no longer. So password reminder wouldn't work for me. Ha
Good to see some names from the past.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Is it worth folding on 2x Radeon 7790s? I've got Accelero S1+ on those so no noise or temp concerns... ever.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
I'm not hugely familiar with the 7000 series GPUs but if I read the wiki correctly the 7790 is a high mid range card, so yes it would definitely be worth running F@H on them :)

Jay

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Got nostalgic and stumbled upon this thread. Long live Team AnandTech. ;)

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
:eek: Necro thread! Lock! Ban! :p

Oh, wait, I'm not a moderator of this forum, am I? :sneaky:

(<-- That's my sneaky way of mentioning that I recently got a new title. ;))

Hi, Jay!
hello.gif