OK!.........All you OLD DC FARTS! Time to come out of hidding.

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Wow, about to come up on another Seti anniversary!
Still crunching after all these years. ;)

Coquito

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2003
/cracks ATDC office window

/throws in Febreze bomb

/slashes all the mobility scooter tires in the parking lot

/skips back down that lonesome highway whistling nonchalantly ;)

wischeez

Golden Member
Jan 31, 2004
wizcheez....wow. Now that's a face I haven't seen in a long time. How's things going for you?

I started this post just for that reason, all the old members seem to have faded into the background accept for a few. Nice to know your still around.

Everything is good soggy! Had one kid graduate HS 2 years ago, and the other will graduate next year. Then I'll have to spend time with the wife... what to do, it's been so long! :eek:
I still come to AT to read, but not doing any crunching anymore. Down to 2 machines these days.
Hope things are going good for you!

networkman

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Decided to stay on with the E@H project a while longer.. was going to stop at 5 Mil, and then the boss decided we needed newer workstations, so the RAC went up a little bit so I stayed on. Just passed the 6 Mil mark. Might as well hang on a while longer I guess. :)

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Hi NWM :)
Any results from E@H yet?
That was a projected I'd intended to do when it 1st came out! :$ Still doing other projects ;)

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
i believe the E@H project still has yet to find concrete evidence of the existence of gravitational waves, despite them being a direct consequence of General Relativity....but they continue to push on by refining the searches and increasing the sensitivity of their instruments. on the other hand the E@H project has discovered a number of pulsars since joining those efforts back in 2010. unfortunately none of my hosts were involved in the detection of any of those newly discovered pulsars :\, but i continue to participate. for more detailed info, go to the Einstein@Home main page and scroll down a bit - you'll see in the left margin a section titled "Science information and progress reports." there are some linked articles there...

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
@Soggysocks: Why don't you come over to our place - here in southen Sweden (Blekinge). Here we have so much deer and by most they are seen as pests ... destroyer of flowers, crops, carrier of hundreds of ticks, speader of disease ...
The population is encoureged to take shots against tick-borne encephalitis (TBE), many get borrelia and the deer are the most prevalent hosts for these "terrible" arachnids.
We pick at least 4 - 6 ticks/day from each of our four cats ... sometimes even more.

Last edited:

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Things are good at this end. Although hunting hasn't produced and deer.

See does and young bucks every dawn on the way to work. (50miles/80km each way)

Then there are the stupid ones that try to cross the road with traffic oncoming.

At least a new carcass every day over here in Western Michigan.

Soggysocks

Golden Member
Jun 20, 2001
Thanks for the invite Petrusbroder. We have quite the tick problem as well, and a deer over population here in Central New York State, USA. The deer population is so bad the State started a special hunting program for certain areas to bring the population down.
Fortunately, Lime disease is the only major tick born problem we have. But, we also have a bad mosquito problem, with West Nile Virus and Eastern Equine Encephalitis (EEE). A number of people have die, the latest, a little girl about 8 years old.
So, I guess we share the same problems, just the strains might be different.

Soggysocks

Golden Member
Jun 20, 2001
See does and young bucks every dawn on the way to work. (50miles/80km each way)

Then there are the stupid ones that try to cross the road with traffic oncoming.

At least a new carcass every day over here in Western Michigan.

Same here in New York. And the wife and I are less than 20 Miles from work. Too bad they're so mangled....what a waste of venison.

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Well, you are right, Soggysocks.
I am quite grateful that the mosquitoes don't carry those diseases here. TBE hits quite a few people here ...
And yeah, we see most of the smart deer in the woods. The stupid ones become roadkill. We have a special place not far away, where the police hunts them one or twice a week just to keep them away from a strech of the road - otherwise there are accidents almost 3 - 4 times a week.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Same here in New York. And the wife and I are less than 20 Miles from work. Too bad they're so mangled....what a waste of venison.

Plan the roadkill more carefully :p

Also, some (not all) may be carrying disease.

In the 80's I was in southern MD running an errand at dusk and a 8pt buck took out the front of the vehicle. Busted his legs; so I finished him off with a hunting knife; tied him on the roof and limped the car home.

Dressed him out and sent the blood to a lab.
Came back with a no-go. Parasites. :(

Hide and head were only things usable and I did not want the head - was not an honest kill.

Plan.B

Jan 23, 2008
I don't have enough DC to be considered among the venerable OF's, but I'm working on it:

505536.gif

RC

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2000
You will not know me by this username. I remember the duo in the state of Washington, RaySun2Bee, the sys admin in Georgia that faced criminal charges, etc .. Been away from DC for about 11 years.

Ray and others on this forum supported me through some very difficult times many years ago.

I wrote some HTML/script/archaic language to support display of DC stats more than a decade ago.

Been gone a VERY long time. What's a good DC project client software that perhaps also makes use of my GPU. Nvidia 650 Ti Boost

Last edited by a moderator:

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
You will not know me by this username. I remember the duo in the state of Washington, RaySun2Bee, the sys admin in Georgia that faced criminal charges, etc .. Been away from DC for about 11 years.

Um... Dave?

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
What's a good DC project client software that perhaps also makes use of my GPU. Nvidia 650 Ti Boost
Welcome back :)

Most everyone uses BOINC client (many different projects to choose from) or Folding @ Home client.

amdxborg

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2002
Hi there guys! Haven't stopped by in a while.. but it's awesome to see some old names here, hope you're all doin great! Not doing much crunching these days, paying for my electricity now, so that sucks the fun out of it and have new management at work, so there's also a no go! Damn I miss checking the stats everyday!! :)