OK!.........All you OLD DC FARTS! Time to come out of hidding.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
I keep a bunch of cores crunching seti and check here once in a while just to see what's what.
It is good to see a bunch of you guys at least lurk, that's way better than nuthin!

I keep myself busy with little British cars (MG Midgets and Austin Healey Sprites) and remodeling my bathroom and of course ... work.

Wolfsraider

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
I miss you all and Hope everything is good with Smoke. Old is when you finally recognize the old man in the mirror really is you! Awesome to see familiar faces here again.

kb3edk

Jul 11, 2004
As it has only been 9 years since I began crunching for the TeAm I am not sure that qualifies me as an "old fart"... however I have definitely been in hiding the last few years, I am still way under 1000 posts on these forums.

I do have as many computers as ever crunching away, currently 7 as I write this post. But there were long periods where I didn't have anything running at all, such as the 2007-2010 period where I was moving around the country constantly looking for work. But it was always in the back of my mind that I needed to return to the TeAm some day!

Favorite DC memories over the years:

1) Secretly installing F@H on my father's Pentium III computer and then trying to convince him that he needed to leave the computer switched on at all times because it was "good for the circuitry" :cool:
2) Seeing the huge, mind boggling point totals the first time I started running GPU WUs... what had I been missing all those years on CPU-only DC? :rolleyes:
3) Lunch with petrusbroder in Stockholm in 2006 while passing through Sweden on vacation!

While it might not have cracked my top 3 all-time, the PrimeGrid contest to kick off 2013 definitely gave me a feel of some of the "good old days", let's keep it up TeAm!

Joe

Oct 9, 1999
I drop by to look now and then but dont post..can never remember the password and dont have time to recover it..Howdy to those who may remember me..

Rattledagger

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Still not old, just older... :)

... and still not learned the correct usage of when and then... :whiste:

BlackMountainCow

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
Man, it feels so good to see some of the old timers still around a lurking. But yes, things have changed. I haven't heard of amd.borg in ages. Still remember those DPAD races. It's good to see you folks are still alive! :)

When I was a student, I had free electricity on campus. Sadly, that's not the case anymore. I still crunch from time to time, mostly trying to get some nice even total credit numbers for the stats. They look so nice on the stats sites and certificates ;) . But I haven't joined a new project in years.

What put me off DC some time ago was the lack of real life results. There was a time when I really believed that we could change the world a bit for the better with DC. But that has never happened, at least not in an obvious, DC-related way. :(

But I still love that feeling of passing someone on the TeAm stats of a project, and it still makes me want to borg a few cores to stop someone from passing me.

Must be an old habit. :D

Last edited:

somethingsketchy

Golden Member
Nov 25, 2008
Man, it feels so good to see some of the old timers still around a lurking. But yes, things have changed. I haven't heard of amd.borg in ages. Still remember those DPAD races. It's good to see you folks are still alive! :)

Now that's a name I haven't seen in a while. I remember when I first joined in 2009 and seeing him, Petrus and company with all of the discussions over in the BBQ Recipe thread.

That's why I joined this team.

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Smoke and I are friends on "The Facebook" - I saw he posted there this week.
I'll go say hi to him and tell him this thread is here, of course he may just be lurking now... ;)

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
well i suppose i qualify as an old fart in the sense that i joined the forums back in 2000 and have been crunching [SETI@Home and Einstein@Home] for the TeAm since then. but i really didn't start to frequent the DC forums until a few years ago when GPU crunching started to get popular, so community-wise i probably still seem like a relative youngster. nevertheless, i've been in good company from the very beginning regardless of whether i was posting or lurking. :thumbsup:

...and yes, i do remember the OG's like Smokeball, AMD.Borg, RaySun2Be, etc. from my lurking days...

Last edited:

Rudy Toody

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2006
Good to see you, BlackMountainCow!

I was going to change my handle to a mountain name, but I had to give it up.

I had finally decided on RockyMountainOyster, but no matter what I created for an avatar, it was always in poor taste. Oh, Well!

Soggysocks

Golden Member
Jun 20, 2001
WOW................. look at the names from the past. See what happens when you shake the bushes :sneaky:

Viztech

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Hello everyone!

Still doing DPAD here.

Special greetings to Evadman, Orange Kid, Ken g6 and Virge. Talk about Old! :)

Jay

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Hello everyone!

Still doing DPAD here.

Special greetings to Evadman, Orange Kid, Ken g6 and Virge. Talk about Old! :)

I second that shout out. Nice to see some of the original Team AnandTech members still lurking around here.

Someone put out an APB for Lord_Demios (LD), bphantom, BGod, Mech, etc.

Even a shout out to the SysOpt crew that we had a nice friendly UT games with.

Orange Kid

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I second that shout out. Nice to see some of the original Team AnandTech members still lurking around here.

BGod got married a little while back and I don't hear from him much, working as an electrician
Mech is on the forums here but not in DC much anymore I think.
LD and BP are still doing IT stuff last I heard from them :hmm:

Desslok

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2001
Would I be considered an F@H old timer?

My family and I just completed a move from New Mexico to Washington State as I was blessed with a job closer to family.

I plan on starting up my rigs as soon as we get more settled. I should be able to Fold year round now that I am out of the American Southwest.

Desslok

Viztech

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999

Hello Jay!

I'm still doing IT work here. They just let me run the computer shop and play with the toys now. Lots-O-Fun!

PCTC2

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2007
I'm not old but I figured I'd just post anyways. So many people I haven't seen in years in this thread. And yet there's so many missing...