Oigin or Steam and other related Questions related to Gaming

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
I have been out of the gaming scene for about 7yrs and am getting back in. The last game I bought was BF4.
Things have chaged since my hiatus.
It appears now that everything is d/l for the most part and that is fine by me.

Wanting to get back in, I would like to get the most efficient single repository, not wanting to have multiple d/l of the same stuff.
From what I have seen it looks like Origin or Steam is the way to go. Which one is the question. Games I plan on getting will be BF2042, BF1, BFV, RUST, FORZA 5, possibly MS FLIGHT SIM & a SIMS game.
The most important game (probably BF2042) will be installed on the main drive, a WD BLACK 500GB SN850 GEN4 PCI-E running on a Ryzen 5600x & mated with RX580 8GB GPU, 32GB DDR4 PC-3600 w/ a 150/10Mb/s internet connection (plan on gaming @ 1920x1080 or 1920x 1200, no QHD or UHD). This machine will also have a 1TB WD BLACK SN750 SE (I have read the issues w) the smaller SSDs in that family), so the other games can go there. Or if anybody has any data showing there is no difference between which drive the games go on, let me know as I also have to install the Office Suite, SolidWorks and an older Adobe Suite on there too.

One caveat is that I have a couple similar in spec machines that I would also like to game on a couple other PCs I own, in the same home, but only be playing any 1 game at a time, but my wife may be playing a different game on my account at the same time.

Please, steer me in the correct direction so I can set this up once, get the most bang for my $$ and keep redundant d/l's to a minimum.

Thanks,
Bob

Additional questions not in the "first draft"

-
"Another question - since I am wanting games that are really not easily keyboard controlled, how would a PS3 do? I either have BT or have a BT Dongle for all computers that would used.
Thanks,
Bob"

Last edited:

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
I just go with whoever is cheapest (usually they are the same price), defaulting to steam out of habit. My main stores are GOG, Steam and Epic Games store. Origin is EA only, so I wouldn't bother with it unless you plan to use EA Play (subscription service from EA). Steam works with multiple PCs, I haven't tried GOG or Epic on multiple PCs.

Go to epic games store and get all 3 of the Tomb Raider games for free (ends January 6). Also Epic has a $10 off $14.99+ game coupon until Jan 6 also (auto applies).

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
If you HAD to choose between Steam and Origin, I'd go with Steam hands down, no question.

As mentioned by @quikah the Epic games store is worth keeping an eye on for deals and freebies (many of their offers are games that are redeemable on Steam).

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
Appreciate the info very much!!

I can install as many "front ends" as necessary, just as long as I am installing something that is not covered just exactly as another service I have. Since I am running mostly NVMe SSDs followed by SATA SSDs & then Spinners, I am trying to keep redundant items to a minimum.

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
Another question - since I am wanting games that are really not easily keyboard controlled, how would a PS3 do? I either have BT or have a BT Dongle for all computers that would used.
Thanks,
Bob

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Just make sure the games you want ARE on Steam if you do go with one or the other. I'd also recommend Steam. I'm not sure how much Origin has 'exclusives' by now, for EA games, but for a time it was their goal to compete with Steam by not letting their games on other distribution platforms (it started I believe with Mass Effect 3 at the time, which never came out individually on Steam).

However, the games you mentioned: the latest Battlefields, Forza 5 , Rust and The Sims are all on Steam though, so you're fine with that. I'm just saying if you have specific games in mind do check first if it's on Steam if it's from EA.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
i typically try to buy on GoG first, because the games are always DRM-free. next in line is Steam.

GoG does allow you to integrate all the platforms into one, in the sense that all your games from each service are present and you can launch them from a single client. i do use this feature, but not to its fullest extent. most games i play are on steam or GoG, so launching from one program or the other isn't a big deal. As for all my other games on Origin, Epic, etc... well, I haven't gotten to them yet, lol.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I bought battlefield 2042 through Epic games because they had their fairly regular $10 off coupon and I got it for $30. When I start the game through Epic's client it still has to open the Origin client to start the game. I assume it's the same way if you buy it through Steam.

I have several game clients installed and have their games scattered over 2 HDDs and I moved BF 2042 to an older ssd since it was taking forever to load the game and matches.

If you want to grab a bunch of games cheap check out humble bundle. They have game bundles and a month humble choice bundle. https://www.humblebundle.com/

Fanatical and Greenman gaming are both reliable stores to purchase games through. Just be sure it's for the client you want and the games work in your region. Also check out isthereanydeal for the best prices and to do price research. https://isthereanydeal.com/

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Another question - since I am wanting games that are really not easily keyboard controlled, how would a PS3 do? I either have BT or have a BT Dongle for all computers that would used.
Thanks,
Bob
I've heard PS3 controllers can have a bit of input delay but nothing too noticeable and it's not a very common issue. If you have access to a wired 360 controller, they just plug in and you can play instantly with no issues.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
If you HAD to choose between Steam and Origin, I'd go with Steam hands down, no question.

As mentioned by @quikah the Epic games store is worth keeping an eye on for deals and freebies (many of their offers are games that are redeemable on Steam).

yeah Steam over Origin for sure, but if you are starting all over again, I'd go with getting what you can through GoG first. DRM free, own forever and all that.

Also +1 to keeping an eye on the Epic store. For another couple of days, they have all the modern Tomb Raider games for free. Get those if you haven't played them.

Reactions: Pohemi

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
Games I plan on getting will be BF2042, BF1, BFV, RUST, FORZA 5, possibly MS FLIGHT SIM & a SIMS game.

Origin is required for BF2042, BF1 and BFV. You have to have origin (or EA Play (new origin, I prefer origin))
Steam is required for Rust.
Xbox app on windows is required for FORZA 5 and MS Flight Sim (might just be an account)

You'll see it in steam listing for the games, from bf2042
1641395174405.png

Attachments

• 1641395174422.png
    1641395174422.png
    25.9 KB · Views: 0

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
Get the EPIC games store and never have to buy a game again. They give free games all the time

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Steam always. Epic is trying to buy everyone's favor by giving out free games in exchange for mining and selling your personal data.

If the OP mainly wants to play Battlefield games though, it's going to be Origin since it's required.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Steam guy here. Buying the game on steam means you will have to pre-launch a thin client for some games (Origin for EA, Uplay for Ubisoft, etc) but its really not some huge deal nowadays past the initial set-up.

I know a lot of people like to crap on "Steam only" types such as myself, but honestly all extra competition in the digital storefront space has done is show me how good of a storefront Steam is and how much every other launcher sucks.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
Steam guy here. Buying the game on steam means you will have to pre-launch a thin client for some games (Origin for EA, Uplay for Ubisoft, etc) but its really not some huge deal nowadays past the initial set-up.

I know a lot of people like to crap on "Steam only" types such as myself, but honestly all extra competition in the digital storefront space has done is show me how good of a storefront Steam is and how much every other launcher sucks.
It's Ubisoft Connect instead of Uplay now. Just had to upgrade when I fired up HOMM 7. Haven't played any EA titles in a while. I'm mainly Steam and GOG now. Went through my wishlist during Steams Winter Sale and removed a bunch of titles because of things like nurturedhate posted above - 3rd party EULA or 3rd party account required.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I like Origin and Epic. Steam is OK but I always have issues with some older games, controllers and crap like that. I try to get games from GOG first if I can. The DRM free version of cyberpunk 2077 is great as i can mod it to death and don't have any online crap to deal with.