Ohio Supreme Court takes lead in cracking down on illegal 'debtors' prisons'

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
There are other ways for the state to get people to pay debt or other punishments that aren't taken to the extreme of incarceration. And a lot of the time fees really are at least about generating more government revenue than they are about acting as a deterrent.
Like what?

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012
Like what?

For one thing, some attempt at negotiating payment plans and deferment. Additional interest and late fees are not really called for, especially if the person is making some effort to do what they can. If payment is really impossible, earning the money through community service is vastly preferable to jail time - the overhead is a lot lower, it's more productive, and it can be worked around job schedules.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
For one thing, some attempt at negotiating payment plans and deferment. Additional interest and late fees are not really called for, especially if the person is making some effort to do what they can. If payment is really impossible, earning the money through community service is vastly preferable to jail time - the overhead is a lot lower, it's more productive, and it can be worked around job schedules.
That's a good idea but if I'm not going to pay a fine and risk jail, why would I bother to show up for community service? At some point, there needs to be a stick.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
vvv

It's nice that you queued up for it, but it really wasn't necessary. It already included you.

So, let me understand your stance here. You're saying that because I know for a fact that no politician is going to read thousands of pages of superfluous legal terminology for a single bill, that somehow the public school system and my university have failed to properly educate me? That is your stance? Would you care to revise your opinion or should I just leave this thread with the knowledge that you are most likely trolling for attention/effect?

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
So, let me understand your stance here. You're saying that because I know for a fact that no politician is going to read thousands of pages of superfluous legal terminology for a single bill, that somehow the public school system and my university have failed to properly educate me? That is your stance? Would you care to revise your opinion or should I just leave this thread with the knowledge that you are most likely trolling for attention/effect?
Conservatards gonna tard! /brony