ohio = perfected english dialect

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
srsly, nowhere else in the world does it exactly right, because in ohio there is no accent. its basically only like this in ohio (ok and maybe parts of bordering states). we follow all the official rules of pronunciation per websters dictionary. nobody can make fun of our accent, because theres nothing to make fun of. and arab princes and tv and radio voice personalities come here to learn english dialect because its done correctly!

if someone says "yall" i stop listenining. likewise if they "pahk their cahh" or tell me "aboot" something.

follow the rules please. it's not that hard.

rocadelpunk

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2001
you clearly have never lived or been in ohio.

23yrs exp. Certain parts definitely have dialects.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Born and raised in Ohio, came to maryland at the age of 12, i had an accent like you wouldnt believe, not as horrid as boston or newyork however. Since then i have been mended and speak properly.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
srsly, nowhere else in the world does it exactly right, because in ohio there is no accent. its basically only like this in ohio (ok and maybe parts of bordering states). we follow all the official rules of pronunciation per websters dictionary. nobody can make fun of our accent, because theres nothing to make fun of. and arab princes and tv and radio voice personalities come here to learn english dialect because its done correctly!

if someone says "yall" i stop listenining. likewise if they "pahk their cahh" or tell me "aboot" something.

Meh, "y'all" serves a purpose. English needs a second-person plural pronoun...

Drako

Lifer
Jun 9, 2007
LOL, both my wife and I are from Ohio, I'm from northern Ohio (Akron/Canton), and she's from southern Ohio (Dayton). There are a number for words that we pronounce differently from each other :D

For example, for compass, I say cum-pus, and she says comp-us. The list goes on and on.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
you clearly have never lived or been in ohio.

23yrs exp. Certain parts definitely have dialects.

i got almost that much exp. and i been everywhere, man

but i dont count by the ohio river because thats pretty much a lost cause there, they have defected to the condeferacy

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
I have heard that before too, but it's probably because I live in Ohio.
Other states probably say the same thing.

I can tell a Canton/Cleveland accent easily.

Maybe central Ohio is more "pure".

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
honestly though i wonder why people talk with crazy accents like new england. how can you say something that sounds nothing like its spelled?

DaWhim

Lifer
Feb 3, 2003
i have been traveling with a guy from dayton ohio, he shows me ohio accent.

instead of saying cement, he said it like semen. hilarity ensured.

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006

Gotta be a troll thread.

Ohio doesn't exist. Some place that crappy could only be fictional.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
People I know from Ohio sound funny. Maybe that's just the Colorado in me though.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
ohio_astronaut.jpg

Vikki

Mar 19, 2011
I would prefer we perfect road repairs over dialect. I can stand people saying things different, but dodging orange barrels every day as I drive to work....ugh.

zCypher

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2002
I don't have a problem with y'all, and I'm from Canuckistan.

and LOL @ For example, for compass, I say cum-pus, and she says comp-us. The list goes on and on. !

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
FAIL every place on earth has an accent. You only think you don't have an accept because you are from that location. Hay I don't think I have a Canadian accept but I've been told I use "eh", I'm certainly not conscious of it but I guess it's true. Now it IS the case that many countries come to have a "default" accept, the one that you hear the most on news and TV broadcasts. Maybe this is what you mean by no accent. It's still an accent though, it's just the accept that has come to represent your nation of part of the country. I'd say for the US though this would be the North West, eg Seattle.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
honestly though i wonder why people talk with crazy accents like new england.

Hey, not all of New England is like that. A good chunk of Connecticut doesn't have an accent. But there is a wide variety of crazy accents in a very small geographical area, with New York/Long Island/Boston/Worcester.