Ohio Barber Confronts White Man Walking Around Black Neighborhoods Carrying Guns

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Your opinion?

• It's his right.

• It's his right but he shouldn't do it.

• There's nothing wrong with it at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
I just do not want anyone to know that I have a gun with me in person.

This is why.

Let say a bad guy is with a concealed gun, he sees you with a gun open carry. He would walk behind you and use his gun to shoot you and take your gun and then continue with his bad deed.

If you are a concealed carrier, he would not know who has gun and who does not, he would not specific target you.

That's how I see it, not about afraid or not. Something about lay low and hide my ability until the time is right.

You make a valid point, generally I don't want people to know that I am armed or not either.

With that said, bad guys generally don't want to get dead anymore than you or I. Typically bad guys avoid fucking with armed people (unless it's some sort of personal or gang thing) because there are plenty of unarmed people to fuck with and their chances of getting dead are drastically reduced.

I know quite a few people who open carry and while not my cup of tea except in extreme circumstances like the aftermath of Katrina I was visibly armed the entire time, usually with both a pistol and a long gun, and it worked exceptionally well.

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
And maybe it is.

Who would know better just randomly walking near him before seeing it on his back ?

Wasn't this article about a man who had witnessed the open carrier for WEEKS? What guy randomly walking near the open carrier are you talking about?

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
Let say a bad guy is with a concealed gun, he sees you with a gun open carry. He would walk behind you and use his gun to shoot you and take your gun and then continue with his bad deed.

I used to think this exact way. A couple of points make me really wonder if this is so realistic:

1) Does your scenario commonly happen to cops? Where the bad guy wants to do something bad, but a cop is nearby, so bad guy sneaks up and shoots cop so bad guy can then perform his bad deed. If not, then why would you expect this to happen to non-cops with openly visible guns?

2) There currently are, and have been for a long time, people who practice open carry. Has your scenario EVER actually happened? Something like this: a bad guy wants to maybe steal a TV from a store, but a good guy with an openly carried gun is there, so bad guy decides that it's worth it to kill a man and face potential 1st degree murder charges because by golly Mr. Bad Guy really wants that TV. It just seems wildly far fetched.

3) Studies have shown that bad guys are VERY afraid of encountering armed victims. In some cases more afraid than they would be encountering a cop. So afraid that they tend to avoid victimizing armed people. We will never be able to know how many crimes have been deterred by open carry, however, because it would require all bad guys who were deterred from a crime to report it somewhere. It still seems completely reasonable that open carry has deterred crime.

If you are a concealed carrier, he would not know who has gun and who does not, he would not specific target you.

I'll worry about that when it can be shown that a significant number of open carriers have been shot who would not otherwise have been if they hadn't had a gun.

That's how I see it, not about afraid or not. Something about lay low and hide my ability until the time is right.

That's honestly my preference as well. For other reasons. But I can totally see how a rational person might prefer open carry (like cops do). And I can value both methods of carry. Alas, I'm not allowed either where I live, so my expectation in any kind of active shooter situation is to hide behind something whimpering in fear until the shooter gets me. Sucks.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
A single incident does not establish a rule, but I know you are going claim this is proof that all white guys with guns will be talked too and all black guys with guns will be proned out at gunpoint because it's the results you want. I've personally seen lots of white guys with guns proned out by cops.

And I'm not asking you to ignore racism. I'm asking you to judge people based on their actions, without automatically supporting someone based on the color of their skin. That barber and the guy shooting the video reacted more to the fact that the open carrier was white as to the fact that he was carrying a gun.

I know a single incident does not a rule make but this incident corroborates the nationwide stats on how blacks vs whites are treated by law enforcement.

BlitzPuppet

Platinum Member
Feb 4, 2012
If it were the other way around man would already be arrested.

In case anyone thinks I'm just race baiting. Check youtube. People tested this theory and changed the race of the carrier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StrqQLQr8BA

Playing a little bit of devil's advocate here.

White guy appeared to have it strapped to his back.
Black guy had a single point sling with it at his side.

I could see how one would be considered an active/passive threat vs one just open carrying.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
The guy isn't doing anything illegal. Being a dick is not illegal. Those who want to see him arrested etc are ignorant idiots.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Yeh, white folks packing iron for no apparent reason seems to make black people uneasy. Probably has something to do with History.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
reagan-nra-guns.png

Like I said in another thread, when minorities, muslims, organized labor, and liberals start open carrying assault rifles, all of the sudden we'll get gun control.

Venix

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2002
You didn't watch the youtube vid. They staged a legal open carry except changed the race of carrier.

MLK stated what should be, not what was and regretfully still is. Kinda tough to just ignore and just hope this shit just goes away.

The host admits that the two videos were shot years apart in different states. Some idiot later juxtaposed the two unrelated videos to push a political narrative. Nobody "staged a legal open carry except changed the race of carrier."

The "black guy"--who's actually Filipino--was detained by Washoe County, Nevada deputies because a woman who mistook him for a white man lied about him "waving around an A-R type of weapon." The white guy in Albany, Oregon was not the victim of such a false report.

YouTube is full of videos of white open carriers being harassed and falsely arrested. It's certainly possible that black open carriers would be treated poorly even more often, but proving that requires actual evidence.

Last edited:

Knowing

Golden Member
Mar 18, 2014
Like I said in another thread, when minorities, muslims, organized labor, and liberals start open carrying assault rifles, all of the sudden we'll get gun control.
[emphasis added]

Do you have any idea how much that would cost?

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
Pipeline and Darwin, this is one of the reasons I do not do open carry.

http://koin.com/2014/10/07/man-practicing-open-carry-law-robbed-of-gun/

I am not bashing it, it is just not for me, even it is legal here, at least long guns (for now).

Thanks for that. I'm also aware of at least one other incident of an open carry dude robbed of their gun. I don't know statistics on how many crimes have been thwarted because a criminal about to commit a crime sees a dude open carrying. I have a feeling it's much higher than 2 times ever. Sure, open carry CAN make you a target. My point is that open carry probably makes the bad guy NOT target you far more often than it makes the bad guy target you. The bad guy almost never wants a fair fight and will usually choose the weakest target. So if you want to increase your chances of NOT being a victim, open carry seems a viable option. My main issue with open carry is that so many people get so irrationally scared when they see a gun on the hip of someone not wearing a cop uniform.

The main reason that I don't open carry is because where I live, I will be arrested and jailed for it. The reason that I don't concealed carry is because where I live, I will be arrested and jailed for it. I will have to rely on the trusty and ever reliable "throw my cell phone at the bad guy hoping to knock the gun out of his hand" defense. Or maybe the "whimper in the corner and beg for my life defense", which also has produced fantastic results as well.

Last edited:

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Most cops I know are all for open carry from what I've heard from them.

They know who to watch right off the bat.

This guy just seems to be being a dick about it though.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Guy is a douche. He knows what he is doing. Hopefully they watch him close and get him on something else.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
Link ?

I have trouble believing that would go on longer than 5 minutes tops anywhere in the US.

LOL...Obviously you haven't been to San Francisco, California. Sure this isn't a polling place but these dudes (Hebrew Israelites, a crazed movement that started on the East Coast and spread to the West Coast) were hanging out around downtown SF for weeks last year. In other words, you'd be surprised at what some people are willing to ignore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLb3o65q0vk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hPcuw9fYAw

NYC contingent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apTouMWnMGo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hDfW3tARLg

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Thanks for that. I'm also aware of at least one other incident of an open carry dude robbed of their gun. I don't know statistics on how many crimes have been thwarted because a criminal about to commit a crime sees a dude open carrying. I have a feeling it's much higher than 2 times ever. Sure, open carry CAN make you a target. My point is that open carry probably makes the bad guy NOT target you far more often than it makes the bad guy target you. The bad guy almost never wants a fair fight and will usually choose the weakest target. So if you want to increase your chances of NOT being a victim, open carry seems a viable option. My main issue with open carry is that so many people get so irrationally scared when they see a gun on the hip of someone not wearing a cop uniform.

The main reason that I don't open carry is because where I live, I will be arrested and jailed for it. The reason that I don't concealed carry is because where I live, I will be arrested and jailed for it. I will have to rely on the trusty and ever reliable "throw my cell phone at the bad guy hoping to knock the gun out of his hand" defense. Or maybe the "whimper in the corner and beg for my life defense", which also has produced fantastic results as well.

Feeling threatened by someone walking down the street carrying a weapon that could easily kill them is not irrational, it's the opposite. Sure you know that you're a good guy, but they don't know you. Also, everyone's a good guy until suddenly they aren't.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Pipeline and Darwin, this is one of the reasons I do not do open carry.

http://koin.com/2014/10/07/man-practicing-open-carry-law-robbed-of-gun/

I am not bashing it, it is just not for me, even it is legal here, at least long guns (for now).

Oh don't get me wrong, in most cases I prefer to conceal carry for that exact reason but I think it's rather rare a for bad guy to be so brazen as to rob a guy who is open carrying. You don't hear a lot of cops getting robbed of their guns.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Feeling threatened by someone walking down the street carrying a weapon that could easily kill them is not irrational, it's the opposite. Sure you know that you're a good guy, but they don't know you. Also, everyone's a good guy until suddenly they aren't.

Should one fear anyone that is physically bigger than them or groups of people? Unless you are some insane MMA guy a group of 3 decent sized guys could easily beat you to death in rather short order.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

There are no statistics. I think someone said it earlier in the thread but the bad guy would have to call the police and say "Hey I was about to rob this place but I saw a guy with a gun so I decided not to".

I have a buddy who open carries a lot and most people assume that he is a plain clothed (did I get that right?) officer. He's been walking around the quarter before and had people run up to him to try and report their car stolen and stuff. He also had someone tell him that 2 guys where hassling a girl in an alley, who knows what would have actually happened but they had the girl cornered pretty good and were being aggressive. He yelled, they took two steps towards him and then split the other way. Again, who knows but I'm assuming they saw the gun.

Did he prevent a rape or attack? No one can honestly say which is why it's impossible to have any sort of meaningful statistics on open carry deterring or preventing crime.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Should one fear anyone that is physically bigger than them or groups of people? Unless you are some insane MMA guy a group of 3 decent sized guys could easily beat you to death in rather short order.

People who are large are inherently so, while carrying a gun is a choice that indicates some expectation of having to kill another person. (Even if that is unlikely) Firthermore, those people would find it far more difficult and time consuming to kill you than a person with a gun. Equating the two is senseless.

Alarm when confronted with someone carrying a gun is an entirely normal response. Gun rights people have tried repeatedly in recent years to turn the onus of their behavior on others as if those threatened by someone carrying a deadly weapon are to blame. They aren't.

You want to open carry a gun? Fine, that's your right. At least own the entirely logical responses that you will get from other people though.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I just do not want anyone to know that I have a gun with me in person.

This is why.

Not about laying low and hoping the wrong time never comes?