Ohh Bad joke by the Obama (lol i loved it though)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
I think that might fall under "too soon". Though it's the Red Sox's fault for getting rid of a player that is so popular. I'm sure Yankees fans would flip if Jeter was traded and Atlanta fans would kill someone if the Braves got rid of Chipper.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Not sure if I would call it a joke-it was a comment Obama made at a Boston fundraiser the day Youkilis was traded. I too suspect he knew that would draw some boos. One thing I admire about Obama is he is a real sports fan (unlike me) and is perfectly willing to voices his predictions and likes. It's rare a national politician will do that-I remember a really painful Q&A with Hillary during the 2008 primaries where she ducked-over and over and over-stating her favorite in an upcoming game (as I recall a NY team was involved but the other team may have been from an important primary state). Her squirming and evasion on such an insignificant matter (in the fear of offending some voters) was just painful to watch.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
It's not painful really, it's Hillary. She couldn't figure out what to say to best politically benefit her, so she had a squirm moment. Don't worry, Obama did the same calculation too, just ahead of time.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
http://www.chicagotribune.com/videogallery/70697002/Entertainment/Viral-Video-President-Obama-booed-in-Boston-after-Youkilis-joke

hahahah great joke. I love it that he made it and he had to know he would get booed!

lol

Obama is a sox fan though? oh fuck him then. not voteing for him.
LOL

It's a fundraiser so I'm assuming the booing was in good fun. It would take a complete ass to boo the President over a sports team trade, much less a President you showed up to gift with money. Obama sounds like he thinks it's serious, but he's not a good ad libber. If those boos were serious, all I can say is there are some seriously messed up priorities on display. But then again, it's an Obama fundraiser so we already knew those people aren't right. ;)

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
LOL

It's a fundraiser so I'm assuming the booing was in good fun. It would take a complete ass to boo the President over a sports team trade, much less a President you showed up to gift with money. Obama sounds like he thinks it's serious, but he's not a good ad libber. If those boos were serious, all I can say is there are some seriously messed up priorities on display. But then again, it's an Obama fundraiser so we already knew those people aren't right. ;)

true. i just thought the joke was funny and the response from the crowd great.

It's not painful really, it's Hillary. She couldn't figure out what to say to best politically benefit her, so she had a squirm moment. Don't worry, Obama did the same calculation too, just ahead of time.

lol i remember that. to be honest i wouldn't expect her to know the answer. Very few women are into sports.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
His harmless and good-natured joke was followed by the predictable Faux Republican Outrage!

“Maybe the president should have congratulated the team for winning the World Series in 2004 and 2007. Instead, he chose to mock them for trading away one of its favorite players at a time when the team is struggling.”

-- Romney press secretary Andrea Saul

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
All in good fun. Youk needed to go. Injury prone and singles hitter now. You couldn't send down Middlebrooks who's raking the ball. Youk probably played too hard which led to his body to break down.

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001
I think it's more telling that the Romney campaign jumped on this arguing that Obama was mocking his supporters. If they really believe what they say it shows they have no clue how sports fans think. Everyone talks smack about everyone else's team especially in this situation where their guy got traded to your team. It would ring so incredibly hollow if Obama went to Boston and gushed over the Red Sox. He really energized the crowd with this as well and that's what you're going for as a speaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.