Oh wow... I just had an idea

nonameo

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2006
I was reading 2 threads closely together. One was about ethanol, the other about can recycling. Someone said something about can deposits and the grossness of maggots in trashcans.

So I was thinking, what if we made biofuel from maggots?

They have lots of fat in them

animal fat = oil

oil = diesel or something else?

Of course, I'm sure the peta idiots would have something to say about it.

lyssword

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2005
I think there was an idea of doing that with special bacteria, probably more efficient than maggots

nonameo

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2006
Originally posted by: lyssword
I think there was an idea of doing that with special bacteria, probably more efficient than maggots

Perhaps, but maggots are much more revolting.

Mar 11, 2004
Originally posted by: nonameo
Originally posted by: lyssword

Perhaps, but maggots are much more revolting.

The thing is, I would assume they're going beyond maggots and going at lower levels where it'll be more efficient because you're not having to feed more complex organisms.

That's pretty much what they're doing when making biofuels, the issue comes from the efficiency of converting what they're starting with to the final product. The only reason biomass holds promise is because it is currently just waste and so we wouldn't be utilizing what would otherwise have been food.

How do you think maggots process what they eat?

ed21x

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2001
also the maggots have to be genetically engineered not to pupate into flies, otherwise we'll only be given a very narrow window with which to lyse them up and extract.