OH Woman forced off an airplane in handcuffs, strip-searched and interrogated.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
9 words

"I wish to remain silent" and "I want a lawyer".

After that, you could tell the cop something like "I told you already, I do not have any donuts, now leave me alone"

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Go go tsa!

This had nothing to do with the TSA IIRC. It happened on a flight in progress. The airline believed the behavior of certain passengers to be suspicious and reported it to the authorities. When the plane landed, the FBI took the people into custody.

I can't really fault the airline for reporting what they saw, inconclusive as it was. However, the FBI seems to have been a bit overzealous here.

The woman, who is apparently half-Arab, half-Jewish, and culturally American, believes she was profiled. She probably was. However, I can't really disagree with taking appearance into consideration as a factor, unfortunate as it may be in some individual cases.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
This had nothing to do with the TSA IIRC. It happened on a flight in progress. The airline believed the behavior of certain passengers to be suspicious and reported it to the authorities. When the plane landed, the FBI took the people into custody.

I can't really fault the airline for reporting what they saw, inconclusive as it was. However, the FBI seems to have been a bit overzealous here.

The woman, who is apparently half-Arab, half-Jewish, and culturally American, believes she was profiled. She probably was. However, I can't really disagree with taking appearance into consideration as a factor, unfortunate as it may be in some individual cases.

She was sitting next to two men who were acting suspicious. That's not racially profiling, that's just bad luck. By her picture she could pass for black or latino.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
She was sitting next to two men who were acting suspicious. That's not racially profiling, that's just bad luck. By her picture she could pass for black or latino.

Well the fact that she was merely sitting next to them is why I think the FBI was being over-zealous in her case.

To my eyes she looks middle eastern, but YMMV.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000

oversealous.. you think? sequestering a plane on the tarmac and surrounding it with jack booted thugs with machines guns is a tad over the top for some passengers already screened by TSA.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Was the intention of the TSA officers to protect the rest of the passengers, or to hate brown people?

I'm white, and I've been pulled aside at an airport for extra screening. I just don't turn it into a twitter-fest.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Seems she was questioned solely because she was in the same isle as the suspicious men. Probably didn't help that she looked similar in skin tone to the men.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
The woman was in handcuffs to make sure she did not eat the donuts she was hiding.

Then she was strip searched to make sure she did not have any donuts hidden anywhere else.

You think those pat-downs at the airport are for weapons? Nope, the TSA is looking for donuts.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
oversealous.. you think? sequestering a plane on the tarmac and surrounding it with jack booted thugs with machines guns is a tad over the top for some passengers already screened by TSA.

And I guarantee you every single one of them would prefer to deal with the consequences of being too cautious, than to deal with the consequences of not being cautious enough.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
And I guarantee you every single one of them would prefer to deal with the consequences of being too cautious, than to deal with the consequences of not being cautious enough.

Being cautious is one thing... escalating a situation that could have been easily resolved is another. I guarantee most Americans don't want to live in a place where if their behavior deviates ever so slightly from the norm that they are removed from a flight at gunpoint and strip searched.

Maybe we should make everyone fly naked after being x-rayed and send their bags on a second plane?

khon

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2010
She should sue.

There's no way this meets the definition of a reasonable search.

Two men go to the bathroom. And ?

First of all I don't see how that's suspicious, and secondly I don't see what that has to do with her.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
I doubt we have the full story here. Something particular happened that provoked special attention even if it was a false alarm. We don't know what that behavior is.

Interesting that the passenger was a freelance writer. Good opportunity to get attention.

tydas

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2000
I doubt we have the full story here. Something particular happened that provoked special attention even if it was a false alarm. We don't know what that behavior is.

Interesting that the passenger was a freelance writer. Good opportunity to get attention.

Please its so obvious what really happened...some Fox watching, Jack Bauer wannabe saw an arab guy in the bathroom for too long and he told the flight crew, never mind that the guy was throwing up...

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
9 words

After that, you could tell the cop something like "I told you already, I do not have any donuts, now leave me alone"

You forgot "Am I under arrest?" "Am I being detained?" and "Am I free to go?"

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005

I see no reason to conclude we haven't been given the full story. The two men sitting next to her, who were of Indian decent, apparently went to the restroom repeatedly to the point where the airline staff felt it was suspicious and called the authorities. The FBI then arrested the two men, and arrested her along with them because she was sitting next to them and she might have been associated with them. The FBI has issued a statement basically apologizing for this and explaining that there was heightened diligence due to 9/11, and that she likely would not have been arrested under identical circumstances but on different day. If there was more to the story, the FBI would have said as much.

Oh, and I also recall reading that the FBI (I think) admitted that similar incidents occurred on a number of other flights that day, people who were arrested and had to be let go. The fact that this particular person is a blogger is just why we're hearing about this one and not the others.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
I see no reason to conclude we haven't been given the full story. The two men sitting next to her, who were of Indian decent, apparently went to the restroom repeatedly to the point where the airline staff felt it was suspicious and called the authorities. The FBI then arrested the two men, and arrested her along with them because she was sitting next to them and she might have been associated with them. The FBI has issued a statement basically apologizing for this and explaining that there was heightened diligence due to 9/11, and that she likely would not have been arrested under identical circumstances but on different day. If there was more to the story, the FBI would have said as much.

Oh, and I also recall reading that the FBI (I think) admitted that similar incidents occurred on a number of other flights that day, people who were arrested and had to be let go. The fact that this particular person is a blogger is just why we're hearing about this one and not the others.

Riiiight! The FBI would report anything that did not support their actions. You are such a silly boy.

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
If the TSA had done their job, there's no way the two men using the bathroom would have been able to do anything dangerous.

Why do we need two agencies to handle this shit when one should have done its job in a trustworthy manner in the first place? If the FBI needs to give them a leg up, they probably shouldn't be doint the job to begin with.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
If the TSA had done their job, there's no way the two men using the bathroom would have been able to do anything dangerous.

Why do we need two agencies to handle this shit when one should have done its job in a trustworthy manner in the first place? If the FBI needs to give them a leg up, they probably shouldn't be doint the job to begin with.

I'm confused as to why the TSA is faulted here. What did they do wrong in this case?

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
9 words

Not really with the Patriot Act.

Makes great coffee table talk though.