Oh, this is interesting: Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 axed, to be upgraded to Exynos 4412

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/17/samsung-reportedly-axes-galaxy-tab-2-10-1-production/

The story comes courtesy of an unnamed "Korean Samsung insider" who claims the device is getting upgraded to a quad-core CPU. Whether the chip in question is the much lauded 32nm Exynos 4412, which packs not only four Cortex A9 cores, but four Mali 604 GPU cores as well, is unknown.

Needless to say, reception of the Tab 2 10.1 a week ago was luke warm, at best. This is much more to my liking. Hope it pans out. :)

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007
I kinda thought the entire Galaxy Tab 2 line was a bit silly anyway, the specs seem very last year modelish.

Not sure I believe the story, but kudos to them if it's true.

Puddle Jumper

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
Samsung would be crazy not to do this, as long as they don't ship it with some glaring flaw (aka Transformer Prime) they would easily have the fastest Android tablet on the market.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
If only Samsung was as fast with OS updates as they are with hardware changes. I lost count. How many different revisions and versions of Galaxy Tab are we up to now?

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
If only Samsung was as fast with OS updates as they are with hardware changes. I lost count. How many different revisions and versions of Galaxy Tab are we up to now?

Samsung Galaxy Tab, OG, 7in
Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7in
Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7, 7.7in
Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 (Tegra 2)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 LTE (Snapdragon S3, AT&T)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, Tegra 2, LTE available

I think that covers those that are currently shipping or available. :p

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007
This is why I'm skeptical that they are pulling back the Galaxy Tab 2 and upgrading the processor. This is Samsung, they'd normally release the Galaxy Tab 2 as a low end model (which it seems to be now) and then release the Galaxy Tab 2 Turbo two months later with a better processor. And A Galaxy Tab 2 HD Turbo another two months after with a higher DPI screen, and so forth.

Samsung has model quotas to meet and I think they are behind.

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
If I were to buy an Android tablet today, it would be an ASUS brand.
I'm not a fan of Samsung tablets.

zerogear

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2000
I'm waiting for the 7" Asus/Google Tablet. I think it'll be pretty solid. When that is out, I'll sell all my other tablets.

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7in

lol

Dear Samsung MBAs, learn the value of branding and stop diluting the Galaxy brand value. kthxbye.

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7in

How many discontinued models are there that you did not list?

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
This seems highly unlikely. A quad-core CPU is a possibility, but the last I heard Mali T604 wouldn't be ready until the end of the year.

Last edited:

Headcase_Fargone

Nov 20, 2009
I was shocked at the disclosed specs and MSRP on this thing when it was announced. They were effectively attempting to charge last year's prices for last year's hardware over 12 months later.

Sounds like they're coming to their senses.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
How many discontinued models are there that you did not list?

yeah seriously , the original galaxy tab is like 2+ years old.

hell the branding works. we know its a tablet and its a samsung.

how is it samsungs fault that carriers that want LTE ended up needing to use a qualcomm cpu and the tegra 2 didnt support it?

of course if samsung was just apple they'd just gimp all their tablets/handsets and not support LTE and just have 3G until the 3rd generation , but i'm thinking samsungs customers appreciate having the actual latest and greatest unlike apples customers who would buy a spiral bound paper notebook if it was named the apple ipad jr. for $100

badb0y

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2010
yeah seriously , the original galaxy tab is like 2+ years old.

hell the branding works. we know its a tablet and its a samsung.

how is it samsungs fault that carriers that want LTE ended up needing to use a qualcomm cpu and the tegra 2 didnt support it?

of course if samsung was just apple they'd just gimp all their tablets/handsets and not support LTE and just have 3G until the 3rd generation , but i'm thinking samsungs customers appreciate having the actual latest and greatest unlike apples customers who would buy a spiral bound paper notebook if it was named the apple ipad jr. for $100
notsureifsrs.jpg

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
Samsung holding it's tablet to change it to be more competitve?

How oddly familiar...

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Samsung holding it's tablet to change it to be more competitve?

How oddly familiar...

Better than pushing out a product that won't sell overly well and having to deeply discount the product just to get rid of it all so it doesn't sit around on store shelves and compete with your next model.

Honestly it seems like they're the only Android manufacturer with a clue half of the time.

Leymenaide

Feb 16, 2010
Endgadget:

Update: Samsung reached out to us to confirm that the above report is not true. The US version of this tablet will still have a dual-core CPU and it's still shipping on May 13th, with pre-orders starting on May 4th.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Endgadget:

Update: Samsung reached out to us to confirm that the above report is not true. The US version of this tablet will still have a dual-core CPU and it's still shipping on May 13th, with pre-orders starting on May 4th.

That's a shame. I was hoping they would pull another Tab 10.1 on us (scrapped it and came out with one thinner and lighter than the iPad 2).

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
I'm confused. Is this the model they're selling for $399? How many fucking tablets does Samsung have coming out this year?

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Endgadget:

Oh dang. :(

Its interesting, I think, Samsung hasn't announced a 'next gen' tablet yet. Asus has their Tegra 3 sporting TF300 and TF700 coming soon, Acer has Tegra 3 tabs up right now. Toshiba and Moto both have OMAP4 based tablets. Samsung's been oddly silent.

Puddle Jumper

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
Oh dang. :(

Its interesting, I think, Samsung hasn't announced a 'next gen' tablet yet. Asus has their Tegra 3 sporting TF300 and TF700 coming soon, Acer has Tegra 3 tabs up right now. Toshiba and Moto both have OMAP4 based tablets. Samsung's been oddly silent.

If they are planning a 2560x1600 tablet to take on the iPad 3 they are stuck waiting for the Exynos 5250 to power it.