Oh the irony!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Craig234
Originally posted by: jackschmittusa
Bush assured the telcos that doing what he asked absolutely legal. It was this assurance that probably convinced them to cooperate.

Now, he says that they need immunity because they did it.

The reason cited by Bush is that security would be compromised if there are trials. This is complete and utter BS. The method used is already well known, no threat there. What the government did with the info is not the subject of the suits, no threat there.

I have absolutely no reason to believe that Bush did not lie to the telcos about the legality of what they did, and every reason to believe he is lying now so that no court is ever allowed to rule on the legal issues. Bush has made it clear in the past that he has no use for the courts since they do not always bend to his will, and his security angle is just another attempt to marginalize them.

I am getting pretty sick of his rants that anything anybody does that he does not like is aiding the terrorists.

Bush doesn't 'convince' the telcos it's legal; he's not a lawyer, and they not only have their own lawyers who tell them it's not, they are legally obligated not to take his word.

The angle that he convinced them is just a sales pitch to try to get the public sympathetic to them - 'they were just trying to serve their country as the president asked'.

It's BS; it's the telcos selling out their customers in exchange for government favor in a deal everyone knows is illegal and they hope not to get caught, and Bush wants them to get immunity so that it's not much harder to get them to go along next time the government wants them to break the law, which is exactly why the public needs to get congress not to give them immunity - so that the government can't easily get companies agreeing to break the law.

Bush wants the telocos to have immunity so that he has imunity. On the first day of trial there are going to be 3 CEO swearing up and down that Bush told them to do it. After that it is game over for Bush and impeachment time.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
I would like to agree with you Smack Down, but this telco immunity will not hit a court room for many years. And only then can issues of civil liabilities be addressed. GWB will have long left and so will the given CEO's.

Leaving the stockholders holding the bag. Its not like the CEO's put it to a vote in a stock holder meeting. But at this point,
I do think those stock holders should protect themselves by convening an emergency stock holder meeting to fire those very CEOs before they can do more damage to stock values. And fire them cold turkey, no bonus, no golden parachute, just clean out your desk and out the door in 10 minutes.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Lemon law
I would like to agree with you Smack Down, but this telco immunity will not hit a court room for many years. And only then can issues of civil liabilities be addressed. GWB will have long left and so will the given CEO's.

Leaving the stockholders holding the bag. Its not like the CEO's put it to a vote in a stock holder meeting. But at this point,
I do think those stock holders should protect themselves by convening an emergency stock holder meeting to fire those very CEOs before they can do more damage to stock values. And fire them cold turkey, no bonus, no golden parachute, just clean out your desk and out the door in 10 minutes.

The telecom cases are already hitting courts. Also, stockholders should exactly be left holding the bag. When you invest in a company one of the risks you are taking is that your company might have committed some crimes they will get in trouble for... why wouldn't you be left holding the bag on that?

superstition

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2008
Bush wants the telocos to have immunity so that he has imunity. On the first day of trial there are going to be 3 CEO swearing up and down that Bush told them to do it. After that it is game over for Bush and impeachment time.
Nothing Bush will ever do will get him impeached. There isn't enough political spine.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Sadly superstition may be right in saying---Nothing Bush will ever do will get him impeached. There isn't enough political spine.

But I remain convinced that it won't be all roses for GWB after he retires. And its my hope that he will see some jail time in his future when we really learn what crapola he has been up to.

And who knows, if GWB tries really hard, even the republican leadership will be pushing for his impeachment as Nixon learned to his dismay. Impeachment and conviction could happen in one single day if the national will is there.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
First and foremost, Teleco immunity covers Bush's ass. Any other stated reason is just passing gas. Hypocrisy is Republicans needing secret Congressional meetings after denying them to the democrats.