Oh SNAP B! PM Gordon Brown just got the b*tch slap by the Queen YO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Where does the article imply that the Queen had anything to do with his parties defeat?

KAMAZON

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2001
www.alirazeghi.com
Where does the article imply that the Queen had anything to do with his parties defeat?

Oh,

I might have linked the wrong article. Basically it was mentioning how the Queen of England appoints a PM if an agreement cannot be made within the parties, and how he has to resign to her personally. I like how the Brits and members of the Commonwealth (I'm looking at you Canada/Australia) whom deny the queen has any major power, although she could sack their PMs, parliments, write new laws, erase old laws, call new elections, etc.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Oh,

I might have linked the wrong article. Basically it was mentioning how the Queen of England appoints a PM if an agreement cannot be made within the parties, and how he has to resign to her personally. I like how the Brits and members of the Commonwealth (I'm looking at you Canada/Australia) whom deny the queen has any major power, although she could sack their PMs, parliments, write new laws, erase old laws, call new elections, etc.

*facepalm*

Why do ignorant idiots like you even waste their time reading about things they don't understand? Wouldn't you rather spend your time drinking Bud Light and scratching your balls or something?

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
I agree with Common Courtesy and Martin, Brown and the Queen are following all the British precedents established hundreds of years ago, to deal with the subsequent events when the former majority party does not survive as the majority in a election.

From all the news coverage I have read, Brown is acting in a classy manner, the queen is acting in a classy, and so is Cameron. Its the same carefully choreographed British song and dance, everyone shows the grace under pressure and proper stiff upper lip politeness they always do.

But still, this one may not be a totally done deal. Because the Liberal democrats, the third party that wields the balance of power, and now as a potential bride of the conservatives, has still not accepted that conservative party marriage proposal.

And the events leading up to today's meting with the queen went as follows.

1. The last British election resulted in a hung parliament. With the third place liberal democrats holding the balance of power.

2. Brown, as sitting PM, had the British protocol right to be the first suitor to propose marriage. And on the afternoon after election, Brown duly asked the Liberal democrats for their hand in marriage.

3. Very quickly, Clegg, as leader of the Liberal democrats said that they always liked the nice clean cut conservative better. So Labor marriage proposal formally declined, Brown was out. But still sent the message to Clegg, that Labor was still willing to marry the liberal democrats if they did not come to an agreement with the conservatives.

4. And now that the Liberal Democrats and the Conservatives started formal negotiations, British protocol dictates that Brown must vacate #10 Downing St, so Cameron can get the place ready for his new bride.

5. But future question, if at any time the Liberal democrats think their dowry is not high enough, or if Cameron is not kissing their ass hard enough, Clegg could either call of the marriage or divorce Cameron's ass. And Brown, bags hardly unpacked, could move back into #10 Downing St.

6. Its simply the British system many in the USA ill understand, it may not be better or worse than other systems, but it is different. And this transition is no different from the way the Brits have handled such changes for many hundreds of years, and I as an American, I can't expect nor do I deserve to have any say in their political processes. Its about all I can muster to just half way understand them.

KAMAZON

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2001
www.alirazeghi.com
*facepalm*

Why do ignorant idiots like you even waste their time reading about things they don't understand? Wouldn't you rather spend your time drinking Bud Light and scratching your balls or something?

Wow Martin, how's the weather up there on your high horse? Good I hope. What the hell are you talking about 'they don't understand'?

My intention was to joke (I hope it was obvious to you big shot) about Gordon Brown potentially (now certainly) being ousted and also to hit at the misconception that the Queen of England is only a 'ceremonial' role in the British Commonwealth.

The fact remains:
The queen of England through the governor general has the authority to:
-disband parliment
-call new elections
-sack a prime minister (like she did in Australia)
-repeal laws
-pass new laws

All of this through a figure appointed directly by the queen that never gets voted on.

I'm not sure why you're so hostile but hey, I hope you have a good day. This buds for you. *beer*

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Wow Martin, how's the weather up there on your high horse? Good I hope. What the hell are you talking about 'they don't understand'?

My intention was to joke (I hope it was obvious to you big shot) about Gordon Brown potentially (now certainly) being ousted and also to hit at the misconception that the Queen of England is only a 'ceremonial' role in the British Commonwealth.

The fact remains:
-disband parliment
-call new elections
-repeal laws
-pass new laws

All of this through a figure appointed directly by the queen that never gets voted on.

I'm not sure why you're so hostile but hey, I hope you have a good day. This buds for you. *beer*

Again you show limited understanding of what the Queen does/can do.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Maybe we should try to avoid any KAMAZON v Martin pisssing contests on this thread, but
that KAMAZON thesis that the Queen of England is abusing her powers implications totally not found in any evidence.

Brown formally went to the Queen first and tendered his formal resignation, and only thereafter did Cameron get the right to ask the Queen for permission to form a government as the next British PM.

Convince this forum KAMAZON, how the British Queen is abusing her powers in any way, or your entire post thesis is baseless. And in fact, we must all maybe realize if the Queen had not acted as a basic rubber stamp, she would have been abusing her powers. Powers the Queen may technically have under the British system, but powers the Queen did not assert or exercise.

Last edited:

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000

The fact remains:
-disband parliment
-call new elections
-repeal laws
-pass new laws

I'm not a supporter of the monarchist FPTP system here in Canada, but at least I understand it pretty well. Neither the queen nor the Governor General have anything remotely approaching those powers.

Had you been paying attention, you'd have seen a great example here in 2008 of both the weakness of our system here and why you're wrong. The conservatives won a minority and formed a government as the largest party. 2 months later, after some very nasty political moves presented as a Matter of Confidence, the opposition decided to form a coalition, vote against the government and then form a new government. This is perfectly within the rules of British parlimentary systems, however the Conservative PM here got scared, and asked the GG to prorogue parliament (end the parlimentary session), and thus avoid a vote whereby he would have gotten 'fired'.

This was a very naked, political, unprecedented and really undemocratic move, however the GG, lacking any fucking power, could not say no, even if it was the right thing to do. As was demonstrated then, and a year later, she has no powers whatsoever over elected officials.

She has the power to do as she's told by the PM, and that's about it.

As for the British Election, is it much like any other. Every PM tenders his resignation to the queen, and the next is invited by her to form a government. In reality, she can't against elected officials.

As you can see, the system is flawed enough without idiots talking like 14 year olds making more shit up.

Status
Not open for further replies.