Oh SH|T!!!!! BUSTED BY Timewarner Cable!!!!

bmacd

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
I got a call this morning from Timewarner Cable (my Roadrunner company) and he asked for my mom. She wasn't home, so i took a message. He says "this is Steve calling from RR Claims and somebody is using a filesharing program called Kazaa. On that program, you are sharing Microsoft SQL server, Adobe Photoshop, and Microsoft Exchange Server, all of which are copyrighted programs. There is a 3rd party company that researches this and they've contacted us, and they are seeking to press legal charges and add you to their lawsuit."

me "Oh Sh|t!"
Steve "are you aware of this?"
me "ya...What can i do"
Steve "Kill the listed programs from your shared folder and you'll be dropped from the lawsuit. They're gonna check back in 24 hours, and if it's not gone, consider yourself busted"
me "Consider them gone. Thanks for the phone call."
Steve No problem. Have a good day :)

Ouch!

-=bmacd=-

LordJezo

Banned
May 16, 2001
Cool.

You are the first person I have heard to actually get busted using file sharing programs..

I guess it has begun...

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Usenet regulars batten down the hatches. We have another crop of newbies incoming.

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
LOL Big bad cable company come to enforce copyright infringements huh? Maybe this will stop you guys from sharing copyrighted files? Anyways you should consider yourself lucky they let you off. Also, I suspect you are under 18, as they asked for your mom, I would consider telling her about it, if you don't, and she finds out anyways, it will be worse for you...

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
i remember getting busted for that stuff about 7 years ago on AOL :) wasnt it TOSwatcher, or something like that?

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001
eh.. i guess all these years of being a dork and not pirating software are finally paying off.

bmacd

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: DaiShan
LOL Big bad cable company come to enforce copyright infringements huh? Maybe this will stop you guys from sharing copyrighted files? Anyways you should consider yourself lucky they let you off. Also, I suspect you are under 18, as they asked for your mom, I would consider telling her about it, if you don't, and she finds out anyways, it will be worse for you...

It's not the cable company that's doing it, it's a third party company that's contracted out by MS/Adobe/Other big names that seek out their programs and report it to the ISP.
i'm turning 20 in September BTW. And why wouldn't i tell my mom about this?

-=bmacd=-

Jan 9, 2002
Smart one, bmacd...
rolleye.gif

SpongeBob

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2001
You sure it wasn't just one of your buddies messing with you? That would be one hell of a prank!

alm99

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2000
"I don't know how, but they found me.....Run for it Marty"

I am so bored at work

bmacd

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: SpongeBob
You sure it wasn't just one of your buddies messing with you? That would be one hell of a prank!

Not unless the Caller ID is lying...besides, i've talked to Steve before as he also runs RR Tech Support after hours.

Originally posted by: alm99
"I don't know how, but they found me.....Run for it Marty"

I LOVE that movie..when we went to Chicago, we watched that on TV and bummed around the apartment for the rest of the day. Good flick!

-=bmacd=-

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
Originally posted by: SpongeBob
Yeah that would be one hell of a prank, but he probably checked caller ID, or at the very least could call them back, besides they knew which files he was sharing. Sorry BMACD, the way you posted about pirated software didn't make you sound like an adult. Anyways the third party does the research, your Cable Company is enforcing it.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: bmacd
I got a call this morning from Timewarner Cable (my Roadrunner company) and he asked for my mom. She wasn't home, so i took a message. He says "this is Steve calling from RR Claims and somebody is using a filesharing program called Kazaa. On that program, you are sharing Microsoft SQL server, Adobe Photoshop, and Microsoft Exchange Server, all of which are copyrighted programs. There is a 3rd party company that researches this and they've contacted us, and they are seeking to press legal charges and add you to their lawsuit." me "Oh Sh|t!" Steve "are you aware of this?" me "ya...What can i do" Steve "Kill the listed programs from your shared folder and you'll be dropped from the lawsuit. They're gonna check back in 24 hours, and if it's not gone, consider yourself busted" me "Consider them gone. Thanks for the phone call." Steve No problem. Have a good day :) Ouch! -=bmacd=-

Are you for real? This sounds like a groundbreaking effort.

bmacd

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
I leave my box on all day and all night (as long as win2k hasn't locked up) so i'm virtually a cable server nonetheless. When i AM online, if i see somebody leeching stuff from me that is NOT sharing files, i'll kick them off. I HATE people who don't share.

-=bmacd=-

propellerhead

Golden Member
Apr 25, 2001
Can you imagine if it was a prank call from one of your friends?

Can you imagine if the caller made you or your mom delete a bunch of system files?

That would be freaky.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: bmacd
I leave my box on all day and all night (as long as win2k hasn't locked up) so i'm virtually a cable server nonetheless. When i AM online, if i see somebody leeching stuff from me that is NOT sharing files, i'll kick them off. I HATE people who don't share.

-=bmacd=-

Probably why you got busted.

slikmunks

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2001
hahaha, i used to do that at ucla, got busted... sony was checking up on me through kazaa... same happened to my friend at ucr...

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Busted, bmacd!

Actually, there IS one company that I know of, NetPD whom I have been contacted by before. I am the IT Security Manager at my company, and prior to the days when we decided to firewall every filesharing program we could think of, we did get an e-mail from this NetPD warning us that one of their client's files was being shared on our network, and that if it was not removed within 24 hours, they would file a lawsuit against us.

There are probably other contractors that do this as well.

I don't know how much weight they have, b/c they appear to only have been searching by filename, in which case it would be fun to create a huge list of empty files all containing the names they are searching for, and then smugly show up in the courtroom with proof that NetPD is actually using the civil court system as blackmail....

But as it was, the files were real, and we removed them and gave our employees a stern warning.

I wouldn't be surprised if the BSA is doing this, now.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
argh, everytime i hear the BSA commercial on the radio it just pisses me off to no end. They act like they are a government agency with the power to do anything they can to sniff out illegal software. They give the impression that they will come and bust down your door to investigate copy right infringements. They have a saying in their ad, "you could find yourself the subject of a BSA investigation" ooooooo try to get past the front door buddy.

The Boy Scouts of America should sue for using their name.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Good for Time Warner. I'd love to see you and people like you pay large hefty fines so the price of software will be cut drastically for the rest of us.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Citrix
argh, everytime i hear the BSA commercial on the radio it just pisses me off to no end. They act like they are a government agency with the power to do anything they can to sniff out illegal software. They give the impression that they will come and bust down your door to investigate copy right infringements. They have a saying in their ad, "you could find yourself the subject of a BSA investigation" ooooooo try to get past the front door buddy.

Or when they are like "If you are out of compliance at your company, call us immediately so that we can work out a plan to bring you into compliance."
Yeah right! "Hi, BSA? We have 5M unlicensed copies of Windows 3.11. Can we work on your schedule to get it fixed?"

If you're out of compliance, why would you call them and admit it when you can just FIX THE PROBLEM yourself???