Oh Noes! Toy Story 3!

Jan 31, 2002
"Seeing as there's been $1B in profits from your five movies ... we're cutting you and cashing in on your franchises."

- M4H

Graphicd00d

Aug 10, 2001
If they have disney animators make this it's going to be utter crap!

Serves them right for hoarding all the money for themselves instead of being fair with Pixar.

SCREW YOU MIKE EISNER! YOU HAVE DESTROYED DISNEY!

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Hopefully Disney has the sense not to trash their property by creating a sub-par sequel.

Pixar made those movies, not Disney - They couldn't have been what they were without Pixar.

Viper GTS

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
rolleye.gif

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
well from what i've read, under the deal pixar wanted, disney could have actually lost money in the future. marketing/distrib costs and other stuff wasn't kewl... so in the long run, being a partner while losing money isn't a good idea. eisner wasn't stupid considering the deal that was offered. its stupid in a fantasy deal where everything is fair;) jobs didn't have to offer a fair offer, pixar has about the same name recognition and probably more good will then disney, they'd probably be fine going alone.

so..screwed either way huh?

not sure how'd they would pull off toy story 3...

but hey..who knows, disney could just start their own animation business;) then if they turn out somehting half decent, they get all the profit. its a risk, but the alternative is bad.

The Dancing Peacock

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 1999
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
"Seeing as there's been $1B in profits from your five movies ... we're cutting you and cashing in on your franchises."

- M4H

pixar is the one who chose to leave, disney didn't cutt them.

Pixar pretty much just needs distribution right now. They seem to have name recgonition. Disney's deal with them gave disney too much money imo. They just stuck their name on there, distributed it and paid for advertising, Pixar does all the work

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
this might work out
disney doesnt have the same know how as pixar when it comes to 3d animations, but I think with the inredibles or was it finding nemo about half of the animators came from disney.

their workflow is very different though, so.. yeah.. I say 35% chance of success :)

GtPrOjEcTX

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
sounds like Disney made the correct choice. Powerhouse Pixar just had too much leverage and would have took too much.

geoff2k

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2000
Originally posted by: Czar
I think with the inredibles or was it finding nemo about half of the animators came from disney.

Can you back this statement up? I've been following Pixar for quite awhile, and while I'm aware of them bringing in talent from other studios as full time employees (e.g. Brad Bird), I have never heard of them using outside animators on their features...

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: geoff2k
Originally posted by: Czar
I think with the inredibles or was it finding nemo about half of the animators came from disney.

Can you back this statement up? I've been following Pixar for quite awhile, and while I'm aware of them bringing in talent from other studios as full time employees (e.g. Brad Bird), I have never heard of them using outside animators on their features...

heard it when I took a 2 day seminar on computer animation with Kyle Balda in december, he was the lead animator for toy story 2 and worked on various other pixar films
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0049633/
worked on the frighteners and jumanji (or however that was spelled)

ps. Could have been toy story 2 since that one was only going to come out on video to begin with and then they figured they had to mantain that one movie each year rep they set themselves so it became a feature film

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Does Disney even have a supply of their own colored pencils anymore, much less access to a giant render farm? This could get interesting.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
well from what i've read, under the deal pixar wanted, disney could have actually lost money in the future.
Link? From what I've seen, they would not have lost money, but just not made as much money.

Pixar has leverage because so far what they've produced is actually good. Much of the Disney stuff lately has been utter crap.