oh my word....what is this world coming too

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
Originally posted by: rikadik
Originally posted by: Vic
That out of the way, this should be used as a classroom example of how nanny state laws don't prevent actual violent crimes. You gave up your rights for nothing.

Way to generalise an individual tragic event. Although obviously you should take homicide rates from Wikipedia with a pinch of salt, it still appears that you are almost three times as likely to be murdered in the US than in the UK (link). Is this because of stricter gun control? I don't know. But I don't think people carrying around handguns would help much. ;)

and how many more guns are there? well just by household percent USA has 32%-40% of households with a gun, and England/Wales has 3.4% - 10x as many households, and that's not even the number of guns it is in all likelyhood far more than 10x the number...

and how much larger is the USA? 9,629,091 sqkm vs 244,820 sqkm - not so easy to police

and how many more people are there in America? ~300m vs ~60m

I'm also sure that generalizing a homicide rate across the entire nation is not very indicative of the chances of you being shot in the face at a night club in America.

However, given the complete disparity in numbers, I think we're doing pretty damn good with 5.9% homicide rate versus 2.03%.

Sorry to post that but I don't think you can really compare the rates without considering all the factors..

Anyways sorry this guy got shot, its always sad to see senseless acts like this.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
That out of the way, this should be used as a classroom example of how nanny state laws don't prevent actual violent crimes. You gave up your rights for nothing.

Way to generalize an individual tragic event. Although obviously you should take homicide rates from Wikipedia with a pinch of salt, it still appears that you are almost three times as likely to be murdered in the US than in the UK (link). Is this because of stricter gun control? I don't know. But I don't think people carrying around handguns would help much. ;)

Yes, but we have a thing called the 2nd amendment.

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Originally posted by: IamBusby
Originally posted by: HardcoreRobot
this is exactly why guns should be illegal

oh, wait....

in other news, cigarettes cause another death! maybe we should consider outlawing smoking too

You don't take into account how many more deaths there would probably be if Guns were made legal in the UK.

Just because you get some slipping through the net doesn't meen you should give up on it altogether and just make Guns legal, that's idiotic.

You don't take into account how many fewer deaths there would probably be if guns were made legal in the UK. See how I turned that around? You see, we can both make crap up all day long, and without any sources, it's completely worthless.

The only thing this story shows is another criminal with a gun who doesn't care about gun control, which is a real shock.

eleison

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006
If the boxer and his bodyguard friends were legally carrying loaded guns, would the boxer of gotten shot? I don't think so. Criminals are cowards.

Ever since britian banned guns, crime has been going up there... the people of britian reap what they sow.

rikadik

Dec 30, 2004
Originally posted by: novasatori

Way to generalise an individual tragic event. Although obviously you should take homicide rates from Wikipedia with a pinch of salt, it still appears that you are almost three times as likely to be murdered in the US than in the UK (link). Is this because of stricter gun control? I don't know. But I don't think people carrying around handguns would help much. ;)

and how many more guns are there? well just by household percent USA has 32%-40% of households with a gun, and England/Wales has 3.4% - 10x as many households, and that's not even the number of guns it is in all likelyhood far more than 10x the number...

and how much larger is the USA? 9,629,091 sqkm vs 244,820 sqkm - not so easy to police

and how many more people are there in America? ~300m vs ~60m

I'm also sure that generalizing a homicide rate across the entire nation is not very indicative of the chances of you being shot in the face at a night club in America.

However, given the complete disparity in numbers, I think we're doing pretty damn good with 5.9% homicide rate versus 2.03%.

Sorry to post that but I don't think you can really compare the rates without considering all the factors..

Anyways sorry this guy got shot, its always sad to see senseless acts like this.

I agree most of your points. America is probably tougher to police due to its size and population. 5.9% might not be that bad...

But the using the fact many, many more American homes have guns than homes in England and Wales to explain the higher murder rate isn't really helpful if you're trying to play down a link between guns and homicide. I understand it's a factor that has to be considered but it's not exactly sound logic to say that stricter gun control laws aren't the reason for a lower murder rate in the UK because there are more guns in the US. I'd expect that if stricter gun controls were introduced, the amount of homes with guns would decrease. If there were fewer guns in homes, would you find the 5.9% rate harder to defend? ;)

But overall I agree it's impossible to compare really, and I haven't really made my own mind up about what the best the policy on guns is. Moreover, it's very likely countries which are different for reasons including the ones you mentioned aren't going to find the same solution to their problems. I'm pretty sure legalising handguns in the UK would be very dangerous, but banning guns in America wouldn't go down all that well either!

rikadik

Dec 30, 2004
Originally posted by: eleison
If the boxer and his bodyguard friends were legally carrying loaded guns, would the boxer of gotten shot? I don't think so. Criminals are cowards.

Ever since britian banned guns, crime has been going up there... the people of britian reap what they sow.

British bouncers carrying guns...

Now there's a scary thought.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
hrmm...I thought UK had gun control...you know, not letting peeps have guns...and yet three criminals have guns...HOW CAN THIS BE???

U.K. gov't fails. And so do the three asshats.

Originally posted by: MmmSkyscraper

:roll:

I'm going to laugh when you get shot at, get rushed to the emergency room, and then complain about it on ATOT.
Roll your eyes now, roll your eyes in pain and terror tomorrow.

Consider this your warning. Personal attacks against Anandtech members is not allowed and will not be tolerated.
Anandtech Moderator hzl

slsmnaz

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2005

What amazes me is how our UK posters seem to be ok with giving up their rights.

Yreka

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
Originally posted by: TehMac

Originally posted by: MmmSkyscraper

:roll:

I'm going to laugh when you get shot at, get rushed to the emergency room, and then complain about it on ATOT.

Thats not cool.. I am pretty pro-gun, but I would never wish for someone to get shot just so they see things my way.

miniMUNCH

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
There are illegal guns all over the UK.

I have only spent a couple weeks total in the UK but my friend lived there for about 3 years. In his time there he knew two guys that smuggled and sold guns illegally in the UK... my friend said that these guys sold a lot of guns and made a lot of money.

My friend did send a tip into the police on his way out of the country.

Jun 14, 2003
Originally posted by: slsmnaz

What amazes me is how our UK posters seem to be ok with giving up their rights.

the CCTV stuff to an extent is great IMO, i personally have little to hide, and if it helps catch mugs like these 3 then im all for it.

but yeah our rights are getting eroded away each day and saddly its like we cant do nothing about it. the rich dont care because they either dont live here, can afford to get out of what ever it is theyve been caught doing, they can give cash for honours as well

the middle classes are too busy working their asses off to keep afloat

and the poor are either working their asses off too, or they are terrorising the streets or mooching off of handouts.

theres a family here, they chose to have 12 kids, the council bought them a £500,000 house and they get over £50k in benefits a year. money wise its better for them to scrounge than it is to get off their asses and give something back to the country by working, so they dont work. its disgusting if you ask me.... its not like those 12 children were dropped on them....it was their choice.

also

gordon brown is but moments away from signign even more of our rights away to the cvnts in brussels...and is he asking the public to vote on it? referendum? no, he doesnt care what the british public wants, hes going to do it anyway.

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: TehMac

Dream on sunshine.