Oh my God

Agentbolt

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2004
I know there's another thread on this, but it appears to have gotten buried and I can't immediately find it.

Rutgers team speaks out

Imus is getting sponsorship pulled over it. Okay, that's fine, the sponsors shouldn't be expected to pay money to support something they don't support. But then the Rutgers team starts speaking out and it gets ridiculous.

The 10 members of the Rutgers team spoke publicly for the first time Tuesday about the on-air comments, made the day after the team lost the NCAA championship game to Tennessee.

Some of them wiped away tears as their coach, C. Vivian Stringer, criticized Imus for "racist and sexist remarks that are deplorable, despicable, abominable and unconscionable." The women, eight of whom are black, called his comments insensitive and hurtful.

"It kind of scars us. We grew up in a world where racism exists, and there's nothing we can do to change that," said Matee Ajavon, a junior guard. "I think that this has scarred me for life."

Scarred you for life? Are they serious? Yeah it was a dumb thing to say, but holy crap, this entire thing has gotten so wildly out of hand. I don't care how racist or awful I sound, I can't stand black people who play the race card solely to make waves, and they're coming out of the woodwork for this one.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I agree. it is way blown out of propertion. its getting silly.

the rutgers team (seems to me anyway) to be milking it.

madworm

May 31, 2005
remember that time SHAQ made fun of YAO...? kinda racist in a sense...but YAO was like, whatevers...

buck

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I know white girls that have nappy hair, and they are hoes. Why are people insisting that its only a black thing?... This really is out of control.

L

Lola

Originally posted by: waggy

I completely agree... All of the new stories I have been hearing about it lead me to the same conclusion.

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Originally posted by: LolaWiz
Originally posted by: waggy

I completely agree... All of the new stories I have been hearing about it lead me to the same conclusion.

I agree as well, but now all three of us have to go apologize to Al Sharpton.

blackllotus

Golden Member
May 30, 2005
Scarred for life? That girl needs to grow up. There are much worse things in life than being called a nappy headed ho.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: buck
I know white girls that have nappy hair, and they are hoes. Why are people insisting that its only a black thing?... This really is out of control.

that is REALLY the same thing I'm wondering ... I still fail to see how the hell this statement he made is racist at all.

BrokenVisage

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
Seriously, it's not like he used the N word. Oh wait he did, he said "nappy". :roll:

It's like this.. Imus may in fact be a racist pig, and I'm sure phrases to suggest that come out in the commentary oh his shows, but he's being PAID to be how he is and part of that is making insulting comments about situations to make people laugh and keep listening.

Vegitto

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Originally posted by: tfinch2
Originally posted by: leftyman
the team is just pissed because they lost the game.

Let's give them a trophy anyway...

Yeah, otherwise they'll be scarred for life.. :(
Also, it's not about 'winning', it's about 'competing'.. But watch out, you might trip and scrape your elbow!

(Note the 'No Child Left Behind' references..)

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
Originally posted by: purbeast0
Originally posted by: buck

that is REALLY the same thing I'm wondering ... I still fail to see how the hell this statement he made is racist at all.

Yep. What does it say about Al Sharpton and the people who support him when they associate the words that Imus said with young black females? :confused:

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Originally posted by: sierrita
Originally posted by: NL5
They should be given the championship!
The other team may not agree with you.
or is my sarcasm meter stuck again?

That's racist. Go apologize to Al Sharpton.

MX2

Lifer
Apr 11, 2004
I am so sick of hearing about who offended who with some comment about this or that.

Doesnt anyone get it that if some jackass makes a comment that is insensitive or rude or hurtful he/she is only making himself/herself look like a ignorant fool?

...get over it, ignorant fools are the majority.

jlbenedict

Banned
Jul 10, 2005
Originally posted by: blackllotus
Scarred for life? That girl needs to grow up. There are much worse things in life than being called a nappy headed ho.

Another thing to note is these dummies probably didn't even know Imus said anything about them until word of mouth got it around to them. Then, they decide to act and speak out. Yeah right.. I'm sure they are sooo ****** emotionally scarred..
That press conference was just too ****** scripted. Nothing there was from the heart.. nothing but pressure and being forced to go on the air, and continue to ridicule a public figure. Imus has paid the price, and I'm sure he regrets what he said. Everyone says things they regret, but sometimes the tongue slips. Hell.. all married men know this all too well..

But, to continue on with it is ridiculous

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
Originally posted by: BrokenVisage
Seriously, it's not like he used the N word. Oh wait he did, he said "nappy". :roll:

Imus will forever be known as "That Nappy Guy".

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I've never liked Don Imus but I have to admit I'm feeling a little sorry for him ... those were some moronic comments he made but they really are being blown out of proportion.