oh..my..god (tree cutting fail) NSFW..not ever

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
He didn't cut the branch right. Even my shitty craftsman chainsaw came with a manual showing how to cut a branch..

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
After the tree broke loose & I saw that rope or whatever it was he used, I thought, "what a moron. Pendulum anyone?" Is he the one who put that up there? Or did someone else put it up there to keep the branch from banging against the building in the wind or something. If it was preexisting, that sucks, I guess you learned a lesson to look out for stuff like that. If he put it up there... foolish.

Nov 26, 2005
Yeah you wouldn't believe the weight one something like that. He should of put and under-cut on that and used the hinge-wood to keep the butt still and then used the rope to lift it/the limb off and back from the wire or roof or whatever it was on.. I would of just pieced it off around whatever it was hung up on. Saved the load/pressure points for last and kept a constant look to anticipate where pressure will end up on the next move leaving it in a good place with the most available, or best options for leverage.

From just re-imagining how that limb came back, i'd say the rope that tied off the limb was in the middle of the load or mid-lined. I could be wrong though, I didn't notice the head/crotch where the rope was at that tied off the limb.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
My Dad has a place up in Quebec that is surrounded by these huge old pines that were planted 60-70 years ago. Every now and then he has to have one taken down, and there's this fellow down the road named Gilbert who is about the same age as the trees. In an afteroon he'll climb it, limb it, top it, drop it, and cut it up into chunks. It's pretty amazing to watch him. He's been doing it all his life.

I don't think Gilbert would have done it the way the guy in the video did it.

Sounds like he would be the perfect friend for Carl.