oh my god, i want to saw my foot off

BlackTigers

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2006
Over the last week or so, my foot has been cramping up once-twice a day. Usually it goes away after a few seconds, but these have been lasting upwards of a minute.

the really, really sharp painful ones on the inside of my foot. there's a muscle/tendon/ligament/whatever right below my ankle that always protrudes about half an inch when they cramp, and my foot is sore to the touch for about fifteen minutes in that spot after that happens.

is there anyway to avoid these goddamn things? or anyway to make them stop once i do cramp up? wow, most painful thing in my life, even worse than my torn ACL's. i cant get into the doctor until next week...

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
I get those, and they are a friggen pain. Almost drowned once when both my feet cramped up in a pool. You have to make sure you are getting a balanced amount of sodium, calcium, potassium in your diet.

Once you feel the cramp starting up, you gotta just force your toes to spread apart and point upwards as much as possible and massage the hell out of bottom of your foot.

BlackTigers

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2006
No new shoes in about two months...

I drink about a gallon of water a day, if not more. Multivitamins and fish oil every day as well, and I'm pretty sure I get enough calcium and potassium. =/ Although I have been doing a lot more heavy lifting the last few weeks, maybe that could add to it?

Thanks for the spreading-toe tip, I'll try that when I get my cramp tomorrow, lol.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
99% of cramps I've had in my life are because of dehydration. Push that water like crazy and hope it goes away.

woodsman

Oct 9, 1999
Use an open bar of soap, something in the salts really helps. The first time that I heard was this on the Bob Louge show on KDKA in Pittsburgh. I use to get cramps at nite like crazy till I put an open bar of soap under the covers and it works!! Any bar of soap.

thirtythree

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2001
I occasionally get really bad cramps in my feet. It's bizarre how bad it can hurt. I've found that stretching my foot either as far forward or as far backward as it will go sometimes relieves the pain.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: woodsman
Use an open bar of soap, something in the salts really helps. The first time that I heard was this on the Bob Louge show on KDKA in Pittsburgh. I use to get cramps at nite like crazy till I put an open bar of soap under the covers and it works!! Any bar of soap.

That has to be one of the weirdest remedies I've ever heard of.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
i get massive cramps in my legs every once in awhile. nothing like waking up in severe pain that feels like someone is stabbing you in the leg! also a major hassle to get out of bed when you're leg is in that much pain.

abaez

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Originally posted by: Squisher
Originally posted by: woodsman

That has to be one of the weirdest remedies I've ever heard of.

I was about to post the same. What in the hell? Soap under the covers?

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003
Originally posted by: BlackTigers91
No new shoes in about two months...

I drink about a gallon of water a day, if not more. Multivitamins and fish oil every day as well, and I'm pretty sure I get enough calcium and potassium. =/ Although I have been doing a lot more heavy lifting the last few weeks, maybe that could add to it?

Thanks for the spreading-toe tip, I'll try that when I get my cramp tomorrow, lol.
This could be part of your issue. More potassium as you are drinking more than you are thirsty for and flushing it. A blood test would tell.

Try a K suppliment and drink when you are thirsty. See a doctor too as low potassium can kill you.

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
Originally posted by: pontifex
i get massive cramps in my legs every once in awhile. nothing like waking up in severe pain that feels like someone is stabbing you in the leg! also a major hassle to get out of bed when you're leg is in that much pain.

I HATE those cramps that happen in the middle of the night. It used to happen to me in college after I went out drinking, and had not happened in years till a couple weeks ago.

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Kermy
Try eating a banananananana.

and pointing your toes when you get the cramp, and also pinch your upper lip just below your nose, thumb on the inside of your lip, finger on the outside.... to reduce the pain of the foot cramp.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I used to wake up in crazy pain, with my calf muscles hard as a rock, all cramped up.
I stretch out those muscles now before I go to bed, and I haven't had a cramp since.

Mr Pickles

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Originally posted by: Tiamat
I get those, and they are a friggen pain. Almost drowned once when both my feet cramped up in a pool. You have to make sure you are getting a balanced amount of sodium, calcium, potassium in your diet.

Once you feel the cramp starting up, you gotta just force your toes to spread apart and point upwards as much as possible and massage the hell out of bottom of your foot.

You can't swim with your arms?

O.P. - try doing some excercises with your foot. Sit in a chair, lift your foot off the floor and draw the alphabet with your toes. Do the same for the other foot, even if you are only cramping with one foot. This will loosen some things up there and get the blood flowing. Keep the toes wigglin' while you do it.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: MrLee

Are you serious?

Mr Pickles

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Originally posted by: ThePresence

Are you serious?

Am I serious or is the OP serious? I'm serious. I heard that people can swim with their arms.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: ThePresence

Are you serious?

Am I serious or is the OP serious? I'm serious. I heard that people can swim with their arms.

It's not uncommon that someone drowns because of cramps. You cannot just swim with your arms. You may be able to keep yourself afloat for a little bit, but without your legs, it won't be long.

Pickle. :p