Oh how I HATE you IBM... let me count the ways (yes, yet another hard drive failure)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FeathersMcGraw

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2001
Originally posted by: max105
My friend had to RMA both his 60GB hard drives too. Their older drives were good, just some of those new ones are unreliable.

Exactly. I have a couple of their 40 GB 60GXP drives that I've been using for over a year and a half which haven't even developed bad sectors yet. But I don't leave my computer on 24/7, which I hear is part of the problem with the new drives.

dcdomain

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
Hmmm count me in, I think my 2 week old IBM laptop 20gb drive died on me today... R*@#$)*$@# and on vacation too so I can't really do anything.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
C'dalerider has a good point. If you have an IBM drive and are getting nervous, use the DFT test program. It will often detect a failing drive BEFORE you see any symptoms. That way you can ghost over to a new drive, and get your replacement IBM coming to you before you suffer a fatal error. It worked that way for me once, saved a bunch of headaches.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I have been using Maxtor forever and no problems at all.
of the 4 current running hdds in my house, 3 are Maxtor and 1 Quantum.

They all run just fine and always have! :)

dcdomain

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
Well I swear by Maxtor, all my desktop drives are Maxtor, but they don't make laptop hd's and anyway I though IBM made the best laptop hd's. Guess I was wrong.

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
Originally posted by: datalink7
Originally posted by: MrBond
RMA that dead ibm drive and sell it to buy a replacement.

Never done a RMA before (yes, I have been lucky. built plenty of computers for me and family but all has been good thus far). Do you need to have a recept (sp?)? I don't think I have one, though I might be able to find my bank statement which has my purchase on it.

Thanks.

I've been thinking about the Westen Digital 8mb cache hard drive. Is this worth the extra price? If not, I might go with a Maxtor.

Got 2 80GB 8MB cache WDs in my system, and love them. I'd definately recommend them.