Question Oh great. Win7 Configuring updates STUCK. No fix seems possible

Matt_Stevens

Dec 17, 2009
Okay, what a nightmare. I still have a terrific system on Windows 7 Pro. I had a blue screen of death trying to uninstall an old program. De-powered and then started up in Safe mode with Networking. Was forced to use system restore and revert back a week. OK, it rebooted.

It was "Configuring Windows updates" with "Do not turn off your computer" and got stuck at 100%. I waited two hours.

Powered off, similar cycle, but stuck at 35% for hours. Same process, power off, back up, STUCK at 35%

No getting around this. Been at it for TWO DAYS! I have never had this happen before.

Am I screwed? Is this an issue where Microsoft no longer supports Windows 7 so it cannot access their server and is stuck?

This system is really important so I need a fix.

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
First try a repair using system file checker:

Open Command Prompt as an administrator, very often referred to as an "elevated" Command Prompt. ...
Type the following command and then press Enter. ...

sfc /scannow

Restart your computer if sfc /scannow repaired files. ...
Repeat whatever process caused your original problem to see if sfc /scannow resolved it.

You may need your system disk.

If that fails to fix the issues then use your system disk to do a Win 7 repair. That should keep most of your original system settings & files intact.

1. Restart your computer.
  2. Press F8 before the Windows 7 logo appears.
  3. At the Advanced Boot Options menu, select the Repair your computer option.
  4. Press Enter.
  5. System Recovery Options should now be available.

Good Luck

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Trusting windows to fix windows is like trusting a pedo to babysit your child.

I know it's too late now but since you stated it's important, from now on make timely OS partition backups. You might as well turn off system restore at that point because it and all other attempts now are a poor gamble compared to having a viable partition image.

However back to your original problem. I'd wonder if you have a (new) hardware problem causing instability.

No, it has nothing to do with end of Win7 support. Any message like that is coming from an update it already downloaded, if it can't reach a server then it just aborts trying to get an update (till it gets the next chance) which is a necessary step before doing anything more about it.

Matt_Stevens

Dec 17, 2009
I ended up leaving it be overnight and when I checked, it was still stuck. I then went to work and came home. It had finished.

WEIRD!

I am going to go ahead and back up what I need and do a Win10 upgrade.