Oh dear. Seems I need to go to the hospital in a few hours

Jul 27, 2020
I think I'm suffering from severe anemia. Weirdly, it happened right after dinner. Had some pieces of grapefruit and orange. About 250g boiled jasmine rice and some hummus. I felt needles in my left hand. I think that's one of the classic symptoms of oxygen deprivation. I'm trying to take deep breaths but they seem shallow. Like there's a hole in my lungs and air is escaping through it. I'm pinching myself but the pain is extremely subdued, like the nerve impulse signals are really weak.

I should come clean. I probably poisoned myself with some bad Avocado+Mango+Milk shake I bought at the market two or three days ago. It tasted weird but not that much but when it was almost empty, it tasted like plastic. It probably went bad because it was on an open air refrigerated shelf and wasn't kept cool enough. Afterwards, I was feeling lack of hunger. Like my body wasn't craving for food, even after smelling it. I was eating only out of routine.

Anyhow, let's see what happens.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I think I'm suffering from severe anemia. Weirdly, it happened right after dinner. Had some pieces of grapefruit and orange. About 250g boiled jasmine rice and some hummus. I felt needles in my left hand. I think that's one of the classic symptoms of oxygen deprivation. I'm trying to take deep breaths but they seem shallow. Like there's a hole in my lungs and air is escaping through it. I'm pinching myself but the pain is extremely subdued, like the nerve impulse signals are really weak.

I should come clean. I probably poisoned myself with some bad Avocado+Mango+Milk shake I bought at the market two or three days ago. It tasted weird but not that much but when it was almost empty, it tasted like plastic. It probably went bad because it was on an open air refrigerated shelf and wasn't kept cool enough. Afterwards, I was feeling lack of hunger. Like my body wasn't craving for food, even after smelling it. I was eating only out of routine.

Anyhow, let's see what happens.

Good luck. I hope you are not poisoned.

Reactions: igor_kavinski
Jul 27, 2020
Discharged after 12 hours. Doctors couldn't figure out the reason for the full body numbness. Got a drip of lactated something, 3mg B-12 and another saline drip. Get my blood/urine results tomorrow. Then gotta go for MRI/EEG if it gets approved by my a-hole insurance company. They were making me wait for $8 B-12 so I decided to pay that from my own pocket. A-holes!

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
When I have concerns about a prescription, I usually take half the dose and see how I respond.

It's just a benzo, will calm you down and maybe help with nerve issues short term, till they figure out what is going on.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
That's why they come in individual pills opposed to a big hunk of benzo that you shave some off of with a knife. ;)

• Love
Reactions: Steltek
Jul 27, 2020
I know that citrus fruits may mess with meds but that's the thing: I don't take any pharma drugs. The ER doc did say that one reason for my symptoms could be very low blood sugar but I doubt that because low blood sugar can make the brain blackout which I didn't experience.

Jul 27, 2020
Got my blood/urine test results back. Seems my haemoglobin is somewhat on the low side and my average red blood cell size is also slightly less than the minimum in the reference range. Other than that, things look OK. Need to see the doc and discuss these results with him, hopefully in the next week or so.

Reactions: balloonshark

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I would eat more iron rich foods and read this:

Weirdly, it happened right after dinner. Had some pieces of grapefruit and orange. About 250g boiled jasmine rice and some hummus.
I'd also avoid eating any more from the same supply of these, in case some sort of poisoning, because anemia symptoms don't usually suddenly appear in people this pronounced, rather symptoms progress over time.

Last edited:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
250 g of jasmine rice, am I correct? Feeling needles?

Far more simple explanation: neuropathy. Specifically, neuropathy from that blood sugar spike.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^ Maybe if it was 250g dry weight but if cooked weight, is only 300-some calories. I get the feeling that eating 250g, to even know that is the weight, means this is not an unusual meal and no correlation between eating this previously and symptoms.

Jul 27, 2020
Specifically, neuropathy from that blood sugar spike.
Test results for blood sugar are normal. I think my blood sugar went too low (possibly due to grapefruit?) and coupled with the low hemoglobin as well as smaller size of my red blood cells, I had a mild episode of hypoxia.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
^ Maybe if it was 250g dry weight but if cooked weight, is only 300-some calories. I get the feeling that eating 250g, to even know that is the weight, means this is not an unusual meal and no correlation between eating this previously and symptoms.
Rice in conjunction with a grapefruit and an orange. That's easily hitting 85-100g and trying to simulate an OGTT.

As for the low hemoglobin...maybe he needs liver from a pig or cow.

Jul 27, 2020
Rice in conjunction with a grapefruit and an orange. That's easily hitting 85-100g and trying to simulate an OGTT.
I've tested grapefruit's potential for lowering blood sugar. I was told by a doctor to get my post-prandial glucose tested. So I ate a good meal and ended it with 300ml grapefruit juice. Two hours later, went to the lab to give my blood sample. Visited the doc when the results came back and enjoyed the confused expression on the doc's face as she remarked, "Only 80? Don't know why that's so low". :D

However, this time all I had was like 5 or 6 small pieces of grapefruit and a similar amount of orange. That shouldn't have been potent enough to trigger a hypoglycemic event.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004

As for the low hemoglobin...maybe he needs liver from a pig or cow.
That should only affect someone with serious diabetes or insulin issues.

250g of rice and some various fruits should have no noticeable impact on any healthy adult.

Reactions: nakedfrog