Oh, DEAR GOD, make this drano work! : P

DesignDawg

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
OH MAN.

This past weekend, Heather was out of town, and I didn't set foot in the kitchen. I was working, sleeping, and running around all weekend, so I ate whatever I picked up while I was out. Well, this morning, we noticed there was a bit of a stench coming from the kitchen. I told her I would wash the dishes and take out the trash while she was at work, etc... Well, I was gonna cook some breakfast, so I opened the dishwasher to get out a pan, and the entire bottom was FULL OF STANDING, ROTTEN-ASS WATER. When I caught a whiff, I literally gagged and almost puked. This water smells like ROTTEN ASS mixed with stale liquid ass in a pit made of ass. Seriously. --And I turned on the sink to wash my hands after trying to remove whatever's blocking the drain in the dishwasher.... Well, as it turns out, the WHOL DRAIN is clogged, and since the dishwasher drains into the same drain as the sink, the sink filled up with this ass-water too. Both sides. So, now I have a dishwasher full, and two sinks full. I bought a 80-oz bottle of liquid plum'r, and so far (about an hour) the water level has not BUDGED. OH GOD.

Ricky
DesignDawg

ArkAoss

Banned
Aug 31, 2000
uh oh... that's not good, got a garbage disposal on that drain as well? our dishwasher, and kichen sink share a disposal, sometimes running the disposal helps..

Viperoni

Lifer
Jan 4, 2000
Man sewar water is the WORST!
We had some back up into our auto shop at school, and man, we even smelled bad in out NEXT class :(

Hope you get it out fast!!!

Azraele

Elite Member
Nov 5, 2000
Have you tried plunging it with like a toilet plunger?

<Edit> You may actually have to stick your hand or something like a long spoon down there and try to clear out some of the debris. Not a fun task.

DesignDawg

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Unfortunately, there is no disposal on this sink. Fortunately, though, this isn't sewer water. I guess I wasn't too clear about that. It's just rotten water from sitting with organic material floting in it/degrading for a few days in a (possibly) anaerobic environment. Almost as vile as sewer water, though. :(

Ricky
DesignDawg

DesignDawg

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

<< Have you tried plunging it with like a toilet plunger? >>

Don't have one. (DOn't know why) I did, however, put my arm in, cup my hand over the hole, and pump it like a plunger would. After a few pumps, it burped, and SUCKED all the water down the drain. The water level in the dishwasher, however, didn't budge. So, throwing caution to the wind, hoping there's some sort of valve that only opens at certain times in the thing to drain it, I just started it up. We'll see how it comes out.

Ricky
DesignDawg

ArkAoss

Banned
Aug 31, 2000
yes, i think there's a controlled drain valve thingy, at least it might get some soap into the water to kill the scent. so the sink seems to have flow back, that's good.

DesignDawg

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yes, the sink has MAJOR flow back. --And since it's all the same drain, the only way the dishwasher's not gonna drain is if there is also blockage between the d'washer and the drain. [crosses fingers]

Ricky
DesignDawg

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
good luck to ya
last time something similar happend to me was when i had projects due at work and was basically just eating whatever i could find and throwing the dishes in the sink. didn't wash em for 2 weeks and boy was it sick.

LadyNiniane

Feb 16, 2001

<< <Edit> You may actually have to stick your hand down thre and try to clear out some of the debris. Not a fun task. >>

No, No, No!!!!

Do not stick your hands down there if you've used Drano or any other liquid drain opener in that water!

The stuff does not dilute - it's not supposed to. It will take the skin right off your hands.

Been there, done that - took me almost a year to re-develop the calluses on my fingers that I needed to play my viola - this while I was preparing for a junior recital.

OW! :disgust::frown::|:Q

Lady Niniane

RayH

Jun 30, 2000
You're lucky you don't have a garbage disposal since it just makes clearing a bad clog more difficult. The drain for the dishwasher usually connects into the sink drain above the bottom level of the dishwasher and a pump on the dishwasher is used during the end of cycles to pump the water out. Just running the dishwasher should get the water out now that the drain is unclogged.

For a kitchen sink, you should run some of the enzymatic cleaners for slow drains every couple months to get rid of the oil buildup. This should help prevent clogs in the future.

For a really bad clog you can buy a drain snake at a local hardware store for less than $10. It's a metal coil that's slightly unwound on the end so when you spin it in one direction it will drill into the clog and when you pull it back out it should break the clog up. Attach the other end to a cordless drill and it should get through just about anything short of roots in your pipes.

cipher00

Golden Member
Jan 29, 2001
Hope it works out ok. :Q

Next: get a plunger. A good one, with a retractable lip. Also, RayH is right: inexpensive snakes can be very helpful. Draining down through the cutout (I'm assuming you have one) and snaking from there usually does the trick.

Good luck.....

KMurphy

Golden Member
May 16, 2000
Foaming pipe snake once a month kicks ass. Use it and you won't have any more clogged drains. You can only use it on open or slow draining drains; not plugged ones. It works great.

Aceman

Banned
Oct 9, 1999
Get a snake and start clearing the drain that way. Also, there should be a flexible hose running from the dishwasher to the sink drain. Should be able to loosen that up and snake that line to clear the drain. Draino sucks.

Of course, you need to learn all of this now if you and Heather are planning on having kids. Mine have flushed toys down my toilet to the point that I can't get them out and we've replace two toilet bowls and I'm going on a third this week. My oldest, (The Dishwasher....at least that's what he's supposed to be) clogs our sink weekly because he refuses to run the disposal nightly for more that 5 seconds. Now I could tell you about the Great Toilet Paper Down the Bath Tub Incident or the Hot Wheels car down the Washing Machine Drain Incident if you'd like. I'm about to quit the Army and become a professional plumber.

Azraele

Elite Member
Nov 5, 2000
<<Now I could tell you about the Great Toilet Paper Down the Bath Tub Incident >>

LOL. Do tell. :)

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Good luck, I hope teh dishwasher drains and doesnt send ass water spilling out all over! I agree with the others, a snake can be useful at times. After a while you're hands get used to haarsh bases and you dont even notice teh stinging ;)

ArkAoss

Banned
Aug 31, 2000
oh that's nuthin, my Parents know our shower is slow, yet they used that tub for rinsing clean water when we grouted our kitchen tile, so basically there's alot of grout dust down there, and if it dryed at all, we'd really have a bad clog.

Aceman

Banned
Oct 9, 1999
The Great Toilet Paper Down the Bathtub Incident

Well as you can see, my children are notorious for causing all sorts of plumbing problems in my house. About 6 months ago, the two youngest (ages 3 &amp; 4) are in the tub. They are now at the age in which I know that there is not a great safety issue, nor do I want to be soaked by the two lil illegit kids (The are Satan's children, I can no longer bear claiming them as mine) Well, they have a past criminal record of wadding up wet toilet paper and throwing it against the wall, causing a mess. They were released from parental supervision for good behavior earlier that month.

So on this fateful day, the two of them decide to get a FULL roll of Charmin and play with it in the tub. And for at least 30 minutes, play with the toilet paper they did. They next thing I see is the youngest shiverring and wet asking for a towel. This is common, but what was uncommon was that he looked like a half plucked chicken with wet toilet paper covering his body. I and my once beautiful, young bride (She was up until we were blessed with three boys.) sprang from our chairs to do as much damage control as we could.....TOO LATE! There in the tub sat our middle child, soooo proud of the fact that he can now drain the water from the tub. Unfortunately it was only partial drained. Toilet paper was clogging up the drain opening. So, I trying to be a hero, scoop out the toilet paper in the drain opening and the tub starts to drain again. Whoops! Now I have the drain completely clogged deep in the draininage system.

I take a break an let as much water drain as possible. Then I hit it with draino. That isn't working. I plunge. That isn't working. So I go to Menards and buy the Super Industrial Strength Sulphuric Acid drain cleaner. I pour that stuff down the drain. All sorts of nast stuff bubbles up!! I'm thinking success!!! Nope an hour later and it's still clogged. So I try pouring some water down to dilute the sulphuric acid. Nothing and an hour later I add more sulphuric Call my father. Now my father understands and has taught me wiring and home remodelling, but hates pluming. His answer was &quot;GET THE HOSE&quot;. To this day I still visualize my Father acting like one of the Dudley Boys from the WWF when they look at each other and say &quot;GET THE LADDER!. So I get the hose, shove it down the bath tup drain and yell to the wife to turn it on full balst cuz we're going to blast through the pipes with pressure. about 10 seconds later my jeans are soaked and I'm yelling to the wife to shut it off. I get out of the tub and my now burnt through &quot;Acid washed&quot; jeans. And leave that damn tub for awhile. We leave for the day. I return 6 hours later to see that the tub still had not drain and white &quot;flakes&quot; floating in the standing water.

THE FRIKKEN PORCELIN HAD BEEN EATEN OFF BY THE ACID IN THE STANDING WATER.
&quot;Honey, kill the kids!&quot; Another phone call goes into my father. Not foremost to help with the bathtub problem, but to talk me down from killing the kids. He decides to drive from Southwestern Minnesota to the Twin Cities to help get rid of the clog and to prevent the killing of the children. Three large pipe wrenches, two sets of clothes,and two days later later we get the 1950 trap off, clean it out with his favorite hose trick (Whick eats through the carpet in the basement bathroom) and attempt to put back together this bastardized plumbing system. Cool! The wife can shower again without worrying about upsetting spiders in the &quot;basement boys lockerroom shower&quot;. We go up to see our now drained tub. THE DAMN THING HAS 1/4th THE PORCELIN EATEN OFF AND THE DRAIN CAN NO LONGER SEAL CORRECTLY!!!! I look at my once lovely bride and say, &quot;Honey, I've decided two things:&quot;

a) You now can have your whirlpool tub you always wanted

b) I'm starting a conditional college fund for my children. Every month I will deposit $100 for each of them. This money can only be touched for college AND to pay me for everything they break in this house that causes me great physical and emotional pain.

That was six months ago. My two youngest should have $1200 combined in their college fund account. They don't. Instead there is an &quot;I OWE DADDY $600&quot; in each of their accounts.

Optimus

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2000
Aceman - ROTFLMAO!! :D :) - That was hilarious! Ahem, I mean - my condolences about your tub... :eek:

Ricky!!! - WHAT HAPPENED????

(worried that Ricky is lying unconscious in a kitchen filled with dishwasher ass-water...):frown: