Oh, crap, the 'M' word...

reitz

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
My girlfriend came out of the blue tonight, and basically "suggested" that it should happen within the next year and a half.

Oh, fuck. I thought I had at least another year before this would be an issue. I'm not ready to deal with this; I'm only 22.

Damn. The only viable option I saw tonight was to go out and get as drunk as humanly possible, and hope that it would all go away, at least for tonight (didn't work). Crap.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Hey, don't rush things. Just tell her that you're not ready and that you want to wait a while. How long have you two been going out?

reitz

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Russ, that was my first instinct.

NSF4, two and a half years, but I have at least another two and a half before I'm done with school. She lives in Virginia near DC, and likely won't be leaving there for several years.

Yeeny

Lifer
Feb 2, 2000
Well, if your first thought is to get drunk when the M word is mentioned, then I think you are probably not ready yet. You are only 22, enjoy yourself. If she loves you and you love her, then you can work through this.

By the M word, I am assuming you mean Mutual Funds? ;)

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< if your first thought is to get drunk when the M word is mentioned, then I think you are probably not ready yet. >>

GF is a master of understatement.;)

Chooie,

Glad I could help.:D

Russ, NCNE

Windogg

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
M @ 22? Watch out dude. I'm 22 and &quot;M&quot; hasn't entered my or my GF's head.

Windogg

DirkBelig

Banned
Oct 15, 1999
DON'T DO IT!!!!

People got married younger in the past because, let's face it, they DIED a lot earlier. Nowadays, we're living forever, so the rush isn't so acute.

I'm 33 now and I can tell ya, my life didn't start assembling into a recognizable picture until I was 25. I've been seeing my girlfriend for 7-1/2 years and we're just now making oblique and non-threatening noises about a more permanent arrangement. (We don't live together, which may explain why we've lasted so long!)

Maybe you kids could make it work, but the odds are against you, esp. since you're concerned about your education. Finish school and tell her to chill. She'll be around if she's worth it and no matter how bummer your life may get at times, it usually works out for the best. It's just hard to tell when you're standing in it.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
What's so bad about marriage at 22? Hell, I plan on being engaged within a year... And I've been 18 for all of three months.

You guys confuse me sometimes.

Viper GTS

Sephiroth_IX

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 1999
Thanks snow, lmfao... hehehehehe...

I'd probably come clean with her and tell her you need more time :(

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Viper GTS - Best of luck to you. I just hope we don't have a chance to say &quot;I told you so.&quot;

I don't care how experienced you think you are at 18. You're not.

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< What's so bad about marriage at 22? >>

Viper,

They don't call it an institution without cause. :)

Russ, NCNE

reitz

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Viper, heed BoberFett's words. My brother got married at 20, and we're taking bets on when they get divorced. So far, it looks like I'm in the lead, and I may win with my bet of 26...

Trust me, I have no plans of marrying this girl in the next year. I love her, but I'm not ready for that kind of commitment. If my first instict is to drink myself into oblivion, then it obviously is not the right choice for me now.

My main issue is: WTF do I do now?

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Talk to her about it. Tell her how you feel. (well, not about the heavy drinking part :D) But if she really wants to spend her life with you, surely she can wait a couple years.

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
Don't get married until you are completely financially stable to support a family. And that means out of school.

My $.02

reitz

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
About the headache excuse: that one doesn't fly with me, so I'm sure it won't work on her. I should be able to mold it into something else, though. If anyone has any ideas, I'd like to hear 'em. :)

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
My big question would have to be:

Is telling her &quot;Not yet&quot; going to kill your relationship?

If so, you'll have to decide which is more important to you. Her, or your desire not to be married at 22.

If you think you can continue the relationship without getting married so soon, then do it. That way you don't lose the relationship, but leave the possibility open later for marriage.

Viper GTS

BlkDragon6

Jan 7, 2000
Tell her that your actually an alien robot from Mars and that if you get married, you'll explode. I suggest you only say this after you get completely hammered.