Oh Come on Russia its getting too obvious

Feb 4, 2009
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...ia-wants-monitors-in-us/ar-AAjc4xJ?li=BBnbcA1

In an apparent move to embarrass the United States over Donald Trump's claims of a "rigged" presidential election, Russia sought to send monitors to U.S. polling stations for the Nov. 8 vote, Russian media revealed Thursday.

The bid was sharply rebuffed by the State Department, and one state election official threatened criminal action if Russian monitors showed up, according to state-controlled Izvestia daily and broadcaster RT.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
You gotta admit it's pretty comically ironic though that some foreign power is trying to influence our elections. At this point they're just mocking us.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Look at the dates of the letters from the various states, apparently these requests were made a couple of months ago, before Trumps current rigging talk. To me that makes it much more interesting.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
You gotta admit it's pretty comically ironic though that some foreign power is trying to influence our elections. At this point they're just mocking us.

I think they probably try to influence a lot of things, chiefly through the passage of misinformation. Modern day Russia has likely mastered social media and the internet to the point of being a more effective propaganda machine than Nazi Germany ever was.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Look at the dates of the letters from the various states, apparently these requests were made a couple of months ago, before Trumps current rigging talk. To me that makes it much more interesting.

Russia pretty much offers to send "monitors" for every U.S. presidential election and is rebuffed each time, this isn't news or unique to Trump running or any of the supposed shenanigans with "rigged" elections.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Are we afraid those monitors would be agents used to tamper with election results?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Are we afraid those monitors would be agents used to tamper with election results?

Maybe you can tell me what value would be brought to the US by having a hostile power that has already deliberately tried to influence our election monitor that same election? This is doubly true considering that Putin's regime has been actually rigging the elections in Russia for some time now. I mean at this point how would Russia even know what a free and fair election looked like?

Reactions: DAPUNISHER
Jan 25, 2011
Are you telling me we don't need Trump fans monitoring elections in "certain areas", you know what I'm talking about.
Why not? It's not like the Trump campaign are doing any training or education on the difference from observation and intimidation so they can easily get thousands without effort. What can go wrong with a bunch of zealots showing up to monitor?

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
The gop is in the pocket of the communist Russian oligarchy. This is the world we live in and its wonderful.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Considering the US election is extremely important to the global political climate. Having some oversight, not saying Russian oversight, but possibly UN oversight, should probably be welcomed. Being a global player means that we owe not just our country, but the world, a fair election.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Considering the US election is extremely important to the global political climate. Having some oversight, not saying Russian oversight, but possibly UN oversight, should probably be welcomed. Being a global player means that we owe not just our country, but the world, a fair election.

and you dont think we have fair elections?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Ask Putin if he is sending the people that eliminated his detractors.

Feb 4, 2009

Are you insane? Your proposal sounds fair but in the real world the observers aren't needed and we'll get observers from NK. Just like how Iran once headed the UN Human Rights Commission.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
and you dont think we have fair elections?

I don't have the resources that the UN has in confirming the fairness of the elections. For me to say one way or the other, would require an enormous amount of faith.

I think maybe just instituting maybe election audits maybe every 4 cycles? Wouldn't hurt anything.

By asking that question, would you think it would be better if maybe everybody EXCEPT the US has UN election oversight? Because we should believe we have fair elections?

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005

Uh, no. We don't "owe" the world squat. We run our elections the way we see fit, if they don't like it, tough.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Are you insane? Your proposal sounds fair but in the real world the observers aren't needed and we'll get observers from NK. Just like how Iran once headed the UN Human Rights Commission.

Are you insane good sir?! I think an observer group would be comprised of MULTIPLE nations. So even if an NK observer was in there, the findings would be adjusted for any anti-US bias.

Feb 4, 2009
Are you insane good sir?! I think an observer group would be comprised of MULTIPLE nations. So even if an NK observer was in there, the findings would be adjusted for any anti-US bias.

Haha keep thinking that.
Here's what would happen even in your rosy scenario.
NK, Russian, Iranian, Syrian, Chinese and a few other oppressive places would find thousands of infractions and that would be all they talk about for 4 years then rise and repeat.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Uh, no. We don't "owe" the world squat. We run our elections the way we see fit, if they don't like it, tough.

What level of UN approvals do you believe are required for the USA to conduct its policy? Considering our policy has global implications I think this this is a fair approach.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I'd just LOVE to have Russian monitors at our elections IF and ONLY IF we are allowed to scrupulously do the same to theirs.