OFFICIAL THREAD: Ghost of Tsushima

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I think I have an issue just exploring every ? area on the map. It's a lot of fun to use the wind to figure out where to go.

This is actually a pretty refreshing concept although it takes me a while to actually figure out where to go. I like that you have a distance meter in the top left to tell you how far you have left to travel.

I took out a small Mongol post and already died several times. Found a new set of swords too but I can't tell if they are better than my current set.

I think I'm supposed to do the main story but I've just been riding the horse around exploring like crazy. I hope it doesn't fatigue me soon. At the same time I don't know if I'm supposed to be in an area or not, which is probably why I died so many times despite there not being any level to the enemies. It's definitely a beautiful world to ride through and enjoy.
My only gripe with navigating is I wish there was a compass on the hud. Maybe it's something you unlock but I don't know. I'm guessing it's not and they were just going for the minimalist hud approach and just want you to use the wind to show you where to go.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I'm really enjoying the game so far. Only did one story mission and one tale of tsushima mission. I'm not sure if these are side missions. But the one I did had a a small story behind it.

Of course there is also the one dojo to liberate too but I don't know if I should be doing that yet. I was hoping that doing the story missions would explain some of the things you should or shouldn't be going after but I guess it doesn't.

Either way, it's all about exploring on your own. You can also set the guiding wind to target specific relics or other items such as finding crickets. If you collect 4 you learn a new song on your flute lol. With flowers you can trade them in for specific outfits at merchants.

I like how you have different stances to switch between. The game does show you which stance is appropriate for taking down an enemy. A bit overwhelmed since I don't know where I should head to next, but I'm sure I'll find something soon.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Yeah I'm liking it a lot too. I've put in between 5-6 hours today lol. And I've hardly done any of the story. I keep getting side tracked and want to complete those missions. I think I've done like 3 or 4 story missions the whole time I've been playing lol.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Any updated thoughts?

Actually... let's make this easy. As someone who actually really liked the style and feel of SEKIRO, but couldn't be bothered by the steeper difficulty, would I enjoy this game? I might just grab it based on that alone...

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
If you liked Sekiro you will like this. It's not as hard but it does get difficult if you don't get used to the combat. I don't think it's as hard as Sekiro at all. I did have to try one side mission like 4 times because I kept getting killed, but it's a matter of knowing which enemies to attack first when trying to save hostages (in my situation).

You have to know which stance is better for each enemy and the no lock on camera takes getting used to. You are suppose to fight with the free camera because once you get the hang of the combat, you are suppose to use the left analog to flow from one enemy to the next and so forth.

The combat is the best part of this game, specifically as you level up and improve, so do your enemies. They don't just gain more health but their styles change.

Reactions: EXCellR8

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I understand that there are different type "stances" that can be switched on the fly--to improve how to fight against different opponents. That sounded/looked really cool from the little bits of demo content I've watched--but I'm wondering if that'd be more annoying and nuanced than it needs to be. I suppose it's not too much different than switching weapons in any other open world game.

Might be scooping up a copy tonight on my way home.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I understand that there are different type "stances" that can be switched on the fly--to improve how to fight against different opponents. That sounded/looked really cool from the little bits of demo content I've watched--but I'm wondering if that'd be more annoying and nuanced than it needs to be. I suppose it's not too much different than switching weapons in any other open world game.

Might be scooping up a copy tonight on my way home.
I would say it's recommended to switch stances unless you want take a really long time to defeat a certain type of enemy. For example shield guys use the high up stance (water I think it's called). You end up hitting them differently and you have different move sets. For example, I never tested using the standard stance against the shield guys alone. It can be done but you just need to find a better opening.

It's as simple as pressing L2 + triangle, cross, circle or square for the appropriate stance you want. I wouldn't say it's annoying it's more like it's recommended because you will be facing different enemies at the same time. You get used to it pretty quickly.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
So I'm old and slow with the button mashing and twitch game now. this game seriously intrigues me though. I've literally played only MLB The Show and NBA 2k on the PS4 and some AARPGs on the PC in the past 5 years. Will I be able to survive this game?

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Sounds like it, although I did hear something about the different difficulties not really affecting the reaction window all that much--if anything. The last game that frustrated me (not counting Sekiro) with annoying timing was JEDI Fallen Order. No matter how many times I played that game there were instances where I would always get hit. Kind of hoping this game is less flaky in that way.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Yeah you don't HAVE to change stances at all. You can use the default one (stone) to kill any enemies, at least that I've encountered. You encounter plenty of guys with shields before you even get the water stance, that is the one recommended for shield guys.

I do find it a bit confusing trying to do all of the stuff mid-battle though. Even when not battling and I'm switching stuff I mix up L2 and R2 and the Dpad and face buttons constantly.

Holding L2 brings up 2 crosses, where the dpad changes between 4 options, and the face buttons change between 4 options. Holding R2 does the same thing but with different options. It's just a lot of stuff to manage. It's done pretty well and is fluent, but just a bit overwhelming to try and get used to.

I haven't played it since Saturday though. It's cool and I like it but I'm not having that urge to play it like I did TLOU2. That has always been my case with most open world games though and why I prefer linear story driven games. I will probably get back to it on Friday.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
So is this supposed to be like Red Dead Redemption 2, except the setting is feudal Japan vs. the Old West?? Reminds me of when Westworld became Shogun World.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
So is this supposed to be like Red Dead Redemption 2, except the setting is feudal Japan vs. the Old West?? Reminds me of when Westworld became Shogun World.
No nowhere near red dead 2 at least not in my opinion. Not as detail oriented as red dead. The more I play this game the more I feel it's unique enough to stand on its own. The combat alone is very satisfying, along with the several upgrade trees for the character.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
No nowhere near red dead 2 at least not in my opinion. Not as detail oriented as red dead. The more I play this game the more I feel it's unique enough to stand on its own. The combat alone is very satisfying, along with the several upgrade trees for the character.
Nothing is more satisfying than standoffs and chaining successful kills. I feel like such a badass every time I do that.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Okay I was wrong. I just unlocked a new technique that does in fact feel more satisfying nad badass than the standoffs.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Okay I was wrong. I just unlocked a new technique that does in fact feel more satisfying nad badass than the standoffs.
Is that the L1+R1 thing that gets highlighted near the resolve gauge? I think it lets you go from enemy to enemy chaining kills. I don't have that yet.

I've been going really slow with the game. Just doing as many side missions as I can. It's cool that they all have their little story to them.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Is that the L1+R1 thing that gets highlighted near the resolve gauge? I think it lets you go from enemy to enemy chaining kills. I don't have that yet.

I've been going really slow with the game. Just doing as many side missions as I can. It's cool that they all have their little story to them.
Nah this is quite a bit past that. It's like half way through act 2. The way they introduce it is awesome too as it's like right at the end of the mission you are on.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I'll just leave this here cause my setup looks badass.

uKqOFhA.jpg

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Really enjoying this game. I can feel the influences of Sucker Punch in this as parts of the progression and skill tree remind me of Infamous. Some of my favorite games so a good thing.

The mood and setting really make the game and it comes through if you have a good 4k HDR tv and surround audio system. Playing this on my LG E8 and Atmos configured home theater and at times it get really intense, especially during thunderstorms. I know the game isn't Atmos enabled, but the receiver does a really good job of handling the surround channels.

The one thing I still struggle with is combat in closed quarters. The game likes to lock you onto who you last engaged with, but sometimes that prevents you from hitting someone next to you. This also can make large amount of enemies difficult to parry, dodge and counter effectively like in the Assassin Creed and WB games (Batman, LOTR) . Though I do like the combat much more here.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
The one thing I still struggle with is combat in closed quarters. The game likes to lock you onto who you last engaged with, but sometimes that prevents you from hitting someone next to you. This also can make large amount of enemies difficult to parry, dodge and counter effectively like in the Assassin Creed and WB games (Batman, LOTR) . Though I do like the combat much more here.
The camera in this game is terrible when you are in close quarters. That is one of the big gripes I have with the game. It's nothing game breaking or anything but half the time I can't see what I am doing or who I am aiming at. Or there is just a wall blocking the camera and it doesn't clip it so you can see what is going on.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Finally got to finish Ghost of Tsushima. Gaming time has been slim pickings with a newborn. I was getting most of the collectivles and side quests done before I finished it because I probably won't go back to it.

The final battle against the Kahn was epic as shit. And the ending of the game. Talk about gut wrenching wow. I’m not an open world fan but this game is a GOAT of this gen.

Did Sucker Punch put out a patch that improved framerate or something? I hadn’t played this game in like 2+ weeks and I could have sworn the framerate was better now.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Was a great game. My most memorable part was when Jin first came back to his family home. The colors and beauty of it was just jaw dropping. Also the solo with the samurai during the lightning storm was pretty badass.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I keep doing a bunch of side missions instead of the main missions. I think I'm only on act 2 so far, in the beginning portion. Because of this I do stop playing it often on and off. I do this with a lot of open world games. It sure is a beautiful game and really shows what they could do with the ps4 towards the end of it's cycle.

Anytime a storm shows up it looks and sounds awesome. I enjoyed the samurai fight in the midst of the thunderstorm too, it was one my favorite battles.