Official Supertuesday Discussion Thread **UPDATED x2**

JJChicken

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2007
An unbiased summary of today:

Reuters Summary

Make your vote ASAP before results are out - lets see how accurate this poll ends up being.

Reuters poll gives Clinton & Obama too close to call but with McCain lead in most states:
Reuters Pole

Obama has got an early lead in indonesia with 75% of the votes I think:

http://afp.google.com/article/...WgI7PbLPKagwp7SQztY7Cw

the tensions killing me.

Edit: Wiki link for Super Tuesday (some interesting titbits):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Tuesday_(2008)

Update #1: Obama wins Georgia!
http://www.accessnorthga.com/detail.php?n=206584

Huckabee wins in West Virginia:
http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411366/1572468

News on exit polls:
http://www.keyetv.com/content/...4aaf-b87c-4933ff077102

What to expect tonight (timewise):
http://www.thecarpetbaggerrepo...om/archives/14482.html

Update #2: It's going down to the wire (suprisingly :p)

http://afp.google.com/article/...9nMKiT250jaMlPQgS5UJug

Obama seems to have won ND, DE, min and kansas :)

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
McCain clinches Repubs. Dems are close but I'm giving edge to obama, not sure how much of that is wishful thinking.

JJChicken

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2007
Originally posted by: Skoorb
McCain clinches Repubs. Dems are close but I'm giving edge to obama, not sure how much of that is wishful thinking.

I want obama, but think billary might get it. Obama is running on emotions - he needs his support to show up on the polls.

McCain will definately clinch repubs. Will be interesting to see if the democrat nominee can put up a good fight - my dad thinks not.

I'm off to sleep - its 1am over here in Aus...

Farley2k

Jan 5, 2003
I voted for Obama but most of the pundits have said that because of money on hand, the number of delegates up for grabs, etc. ST won't decide the Democratic race. In fact Barack has already bought lots of ad time in states with primaries on Feb. 11th. Still I hope he trounces Hillary today.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
I won't vote in this poll and I ask why have it. Nor will I stay up until 3 am tomorrow morning to see the final results trickle in. The American people will work their will in the only voice that
matters. And then its still nine months until the general election.

Unless the results are very one sided on either side, this is just one big card in defining how strong or weak various remaining candidates are.

In a chess analogy, ST just defines the end of the opening game, and thereafter it will be the middle game where the real strategies start to come into play.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
i voted in the thunder storm this morning
had an electronic voting machine for the first time, it seemed to work fine

i have supported Romney for many months and for the first time in my life i gave some $ to a campaign, to Romney

as an Independent, i voted for Obama this morning

this was due to these factors:

-Republican primary in Missouri is winner take all, while the Democrat primary is proportional
-looking at the polls, McCain and Huckabee are running very strong in Missouri and unless Romney is first in this state, he gets zero delegates
-by voting in the Democrat primary, my one vote could help Obama get one extra delegate, whether he is first or second in the total vote
-if by some miracle Romney get the nomination, i can vote for him in November

i consider myself a very conservative Independent based on many factors including my voting record:

1984- Reagan
1988- Bush
1992- Perot
1996- Dole
2000- Browne (Libertarian)
2004- Bush
2008- ?

on the issues, i am very conservative, but i finally figured out that if the majority of voters in this country want bread and circuses and both major parties want bread and circuses, then the issues are almost irrelevent. thanks P&N for making me so jaded and taking away all my hope for our political process, i hope Obama bread and circuses are superior to Bush bread and circuses!!!!

Skitzer

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2000

I think you're right on as far as the Democratic race but I wouldn't jump the gun as far as the Republican race. I see that one continue on past Super Tuesday with McCain probably winning it much later.

M0R0NI

Jan 10, 2008
I think it will be hard for Romney to continue if he loses badly today. I do think he would do a better job than McCain.

Icepick

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
I really want Hillary to win the NY primary and hopefully to move on to the White House. Unfortunately, I'm not currently registered as a Democrat so I'm not allowed to vote in the Dem's primary here. My voting record has been kind of a mixed bag until recently. GW's awful performance has led me to run far, far away from the Republicans this time around.

My Voting Record:
92 - Bush
96 - Perot
2000 - Bush
2004 - Kerry
2008 - Hillary or Barak (Hopefully Hillary)

Edit: I think that McCain will be the Republican nominee but, that doesn't matter to me because the U.S. does not need four more years of a Republican controlled White House. It took a Clinton to clean up the mess that was left behind by 12 years of Reagan/Bush. It may take a Clinton to clean up the mess left by Bush again.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
I think you need add Huckabee to that list.

Today will set the stage for a brokered convention. Huckabee will have a stronger showing than expected. Romney will have outspent both candidates by millions (paying close to $77 per vote). If he loses, or comes in second, it would be a horrible monetary decision for him to continue.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
ZeroIQ, Huckabee is out of contention. He has no chance, save the other two choking to death at lunch, for being president, and thank God for that.

TheNewbie

Jul 17, 2007
Clinton Vs. McCain ==> McCain the next president.

remember where you've heard it first. ;)

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
ZeroIQ, Huckabee is out of contention. He has no chance, save the other two choking to death at lunch, for being president, and thank God for that.

Don't tell me he has no chance. He has been outspend by millions and has essentially the same market share as Romney, that tells you something.

McCain was polling at 6% in Iowa, now look where he is. Super Tuesday will not be a decider today. No one will have enough delegates and he won't be dropping out.

Skitzer

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: ZeroIQ

Don't tell me he has no chance. He has been outspend by millions and has essentially the same market share as Romney, that tells you something.

McCain was polling at 6% in Iowa, now look where he is. Super Tuesday will not be a decider today. No one will have enough delegates and he won't be dropping out.

And that's exactly why McCain will win the nomination. Huckabee is taking votes from Romney and visa versa.

Feb 6, 2007
I voted that Hillary will win it, but I really hope Obama gets it. Their policies are fairly similar, but Hillary is way too much the politician... I don't trust a single thing she says. That and her whole crusade against videogames has shown me that she cares less about common sense than about appearing tough on completely bullshit issues (censorship is retarded in all its forms, and to take on violence/sex in the financially weakest area of mass media is cowardly).

As for the Rs, McCain's got the lock.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Skitzer

And that's exactly why McCain will win the nomination. Huckabee is taking votes from Romney and visa versa.

Actually, you're incorrect. Huckabee isn't taking votes from anyone, they are taking votes from him. Same philosophy.

If you're going to make that claim, Huckabee is actually "taking" votes from McCain, most of Huck's supporters will not support Romney, I am one of them and there are many more.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I've got a short voting history :p

2000: Bush
2004: Kerry

this year I'll probably vote for whoever the democratic nominee is, but I voted for McCain in the closed NJ primary today. I feel like McCain should have been elected president in 2000, but he got really boned by Bush/Rove in the primaries. I just want him to have his fair shot at the prize because I do think he'd make a pretty solid president and it would be nice to send a message to the GOP that there are moderates in the party, even though they're doing their best to kick us out. I'd rather belong to the party of McCain than the party of Rush/Hannity.

but back to the OP... I think McCain has a lock on the GOP side. I think he's very likely to take the entire north east sans mass and probably Cali to call it a wrap. on the Democratic side... idk. we'll find out tomorrow, but it might just be a 50:50 split.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

1984 - Was 17 but pulled for Regan
1988 - Bush
1992 - Clinton
1996 - Clinton
2000 - Gore
2004 - Kerry
2008 - Obama or Clinton (hoping for Obama)

* Registered (R) but haven't voted that way since '88. I guess I need to switch to (D) or (I) someday.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
I didn't vote because I don't think that nominations will be wrapped with today's primaries (and caucuses).

I think Obama and Romney are still gaining.

I wouldn't be surprised if HRC and McCain win.

But the Dem rules are particularly bizarre and complicated. How to define winning? Most votes, most states won, or most delegates? It's quite possible for HRC and Obama to split those victories. One geting more delegates, the other getting votes. Could be a mixed picture.

With the Repubs having a number of "winner takes all" type primaries, could be more decisive on that side.

Fern

Skitzer

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Skitzer

Actually, you're incorrect. Huckabee isn't taking votes from anyone, they are taking votes from him. Same philosophy.

If you're going to make that claim, Huckabee is actually "taking" votes from McCain, most of Huck's supporters will not support Romney, I am one of them and there are many more.

Actually, you are incorrect. McCain is left of center and is drawing mostly from the left and center of the party. He also appeals to moderate Dems fed up with their candidates and independants.
Both Huckabee and Romney have distanced themselves from McCain and his supporters and are reaching out to the right of the party. I don't think Huckabee is getting any votes from the moderate or left side. This is where Romneys voters are coming from also ........... so they are fighting for the same voters.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
I still have to snicker at this thread as one poster after another gets their one second of fame
saying how they voted past and present.

Get a clue, the American voter who will be voting on ST has little or no resemblance to the people posting on P&N. If anything, the P&N set is better informed on the issues and more opinionated. It will be the future events of 2008 that will swing the election.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Why are several of the news networks starting to report that Obama received the majority of expatriate votes in Indonesia...why not report the expatriate votes from say Germany or France or Italy?

Last ditch effort by the Clinton machine to link Obama to the Muslim world...most Americans think of Muslim fundamentalists and Al Quaida when Indonesia comes to mind.

Why report this?