***OFFICIAL*** Ryzen 5000 / Zen 3 Launch Thread REVIEWS BEGIN PAGE 39

Page 24 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
you guys think if zen4 have io die at 12nm too?
I doubt it. One of the primary reasons for keeping the GF IO die is that AMD has a WSA with GF and building these IO dies there helps alleviate that. It is also the reason they still produce older Ryzen processors there. That WSA ends in 2021 IIRC (edit: the agreement goes through 2024, but current commitments are only through 2021), so they won't be contractually obligated to continue producing silicon there.

On the other hand, the design and tooling is already paid for, so they may continue building it anyway. It is good enough for most things, but they will need a new memory controller for DDR5 which is almost certainly coming in ZEN4 with the AM5 socket.

Last edited:

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
Judging by how it won't be until the end of the year before 400 series mobos support Zen 3 anyways, it kinda makes sense to have the non-X CPUs launch alongside the mobo BIOS updates.
Exactly. Early adopters willing to pay the early-bird tax are much more likely to be just building a new system, already have a 500 series mobo, or more willing to upgrade their mobo. The more mainstream folks looking for the next great value chip are more likely to stick with their 400 series mobo.

misuspita

Jul 15, 2006
Yeah, I was pondering to upgrade from my 1600 to 3600(xt) but after hearing they might support 5xxx on 4xx boards, I will wait 3 months, the prices will go down or 5600 and 5700x will launch and the bios in my B450 board will be available.

And with an 8 core Zen 3 I will last at least 3 years more with minimal changes to my system

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
I have not followed the discussion, so I am not sure if anyone already mentioned it.

AMD did not increase the price by 50 dollars, but by more. 3700x, 3800x and 3900x come with a nice cooler worth cca 30 USD.
So when AMD stops supplying these with the new CPUs, the price is effectivelly 80 USD higher. Almost 100. That is a substantial price increase.

Are nonX models coming?
That was my first reaction too, then I looked around and from 1000 tech tuber 999 told the users not to use those coolers. I'm with Tech Jesus on this one, that was a waste of materials at least in 90% of the time.

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
I suspect people are going to need ever more beefier coolers for the coming chips, anyway. Whichever cooler(s) AMD suggests for the reviews is going to be telling. In effect, the XT release would've served the purpose of not only preparing consumers for price increases, but also frees AMD from the burden of having to reinvest in better stock cooling than previous generations. Of course, AMD makes more money by taking away the coolers as well. All these should add up to a significant additional profit for AMD for every chip sold. Zen 3 is going to make AMD a ton of money, and that's vital for their march forward.
We just _really_ need Intel to get themselves together on the desktop too. Nobody wants a cocky AMD with $1000 FX CPUs again.

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
Yeah, I was pondering to upgrade from my 1600 to 3600(xt) but after hearing they might support 5xxx on 4xx boards, I will wait 3 months, the prices will go down or 5600 and 5700x will launch and the bios in my B450 board will be available.

And with an 8 core Zen 3 I will last at least 3 years more with minimal changes to my system
That's exactly what I'd do, especially if I really didn't care about PCIe 4.0 at the moment, which applies to almost everyone on the market with Ryzen 5s.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Intels best, an over $1000 (1056) 18 core almost equal to a 12 core, and easily beat by a $800 16 core.

Yes, Intel better get going before we have $1000 FX AMD (as @lobz said)

I might like AMD today, but if we don't get competition, its going to get ugly

However, the 5900x is 10% more than the 3900x, but 16% faster. So at least that CPU is fairly priced. (taking the $500 launch price that I paid 3 times)

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
@Hitman928

If true then that's not too terrible, only a price increase of ~$20. Especially when a competing hypothetical 6c Rocket Lake will probably be somewhere in the ballpark of $350 or so. Might be more a competitor to the 5600X but still.

We just _really_ need Intel to get themselves together on the desktop too. Nobody wants a cocky AMD with $1000 FX CPUs again.

Yeah I can't agree more. I don't want them to "win" and push AMD down, but they really need to do better.

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
Not to mention that most leakers warned us that AMD may launch only the top 1-2 Zen 3 chips at first and the trickle down later. Compared to that, launching with one of each is not bad, given that a lot of other SKUs will come next year. Am I happy with the $50 increase across the board? Absolutely not and it actually terrifies me about the future, but right now it is still good value for what are actually all-rounder beasts of CPUs.

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001
That was my first reaction too, then I looked around and from 1000 tech tuber 999 told the users not to use those coolers. I'm with Tech Jesus on this one, that was a waste of materials at least in 90% of the time.

I disagree in that one. Other than being noisy, the Wraith Prism is a great cooler.
It keeps the heat in check on a stock 3900X, looks great, and the RGB can be controlled on boards without RGB capability.
For one, I know I will miss the Wraith Prism.

The wraith spire is a genuine 95W cooler, capable and quiet.
The Stealth is decent, but the problem is that it gets overwhelmed with some of the CPUs that is goes bundled with (3600 in specific)

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
I disagree in that one. Other than being noisy, the Wraith Prism is a great cooler.
It keeps the heat in check on a stock 3900X, looks great, and the RGB can be controlled on boards without RGB capability.

The Stealth is decent, but the problem is that it gets overwhelmed with some of the CPUs that is goes bundled with (3600 in specific)
Your case is why I didn't say 'all the time'. I said 90%.

Reactions: Tlh97

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011
I had some more fun and made another chart with *possible* performance of chips that are yet to be released. This is of course just for fun and is simply what I think the order of the performance leaders will be ( in ST at least).

SingleCoreIndex_ projected.png

Arzachel

Apr 7, 2011

"Other than being noisy" doing a lot of work there :p

Decent $30-50 coolers perform much better than both the Wraith Max and Prism, never mind the Spire. The Stealth is infinitely better than Intel's stock coolers because it can actually keep the bundled CPUs within spec, but it was very loud on my 2600 already, so using it on a 5600x seems like a bad idea.

Reactions: Tlh97

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
Judging by how it won't be until the end of the year before 400 series mobos support Zen 3 anyways, it kinda makes sense to have the non-X CPUs launch alongside the mobo BIOS updates.

The BIOS update delay for the 400 series is a bussiness decision.

Reactions: lightmanek

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
@Hitman928

If true then that's not too terrible, only a price increase of ~$20. Especially when a competing hypothetical 6c Rocket Lake will probably be somewhere in the ballpark of $350 or so. Might be more a competitor to the 5600X but still.

eh? no, the 5600 will be up against wharever replaces the 10400F and thats a sub $200 sku, if Intel decides to follow AMD and also increase the price of their 6Cs im going to have a very nice and calm chat with the people that is currently defending the price increase.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ranulf