Official Playstation 5 thread

Page 19 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Well... that was uneventful. Stayed up to get one at Target, was on the ball right as it went live, and I could never check out. I guess I'll try Walmart tomorrow.

EDIT:

Well, that ended up working out. They put more back up later. I ran into a “no more stock” problem, but I switched to the store in the next town (same one I got Luigi from) and had the same problem. However, I kept submitting it, and it just randomly went through. I guess that means I could have kept it on the first store, but oh well... it ended up working out.

Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Well... that was uneventful. Stayed up to get one at Target, was on the ball right as it went live, and I could never check out. I guess I'll try Walmart tomorrow.

EDIT:

Well, that ended up working out. They put more back up later. I ran into a “no more stock” problem, but I switched to the store in the next town (same one I got Luigi from) and had the same problem. However, I kept submitting it, and it just randomly went through. I guess that means I could have kept it on the first store, but oh well... it ended up working out.

Tried too and it failed at 5 different stores.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Tried at 12am target as well. No luck. No stores within 50 miles of me had any come up. Went to bed around 12:30 and now I'm going to be annoyed at work even if I'm working from home lol.

I also tried gamestop but they had a $799 bundle. Didn't care for the nba 2k game. Wouldn't let me add to cart. Kept getting a little JavaScript popup saying check back in a few minutes.

I'll give walmart a go today. Times are 12pm, 3pm, 6pm, and 9pm and these are all EST time zones.

Seeing on reddit many people having issues with the system, figures. Also don't buy extra warranty from Walmart. The reason it's so cheap is because it's handled by Allstate and they always end up denying your claim. This is what someone that works at walmart said when someone in the reddit ps5 community asked if anyone bought extra warranty coverage.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
They really must only have had a few available in my area. I had 3 people checking and we all only saw 2 stores with anything and as soon as we added to cart and checkout it said not available. I think that if you add to cart it should hold the place and allow you to at least press the pay button before it sells lol

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Best buy made me wait for a verification code before it could add it to my card. The code showed up in my email 20 minutes later. By then everything was sold out.

Costco also sold out but was able to add a bundle to my cart. Get to checkout and it won't let me enter credit card number. I can enter all other parts of the CC just not the number. Won't even let me click in the field.

Walmart's site went down at 12pm est lol. Upstream connect error.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
had it in my cart at walmart literally right at noon, got through the cart to where you select delivery address. smashed continue and it sat there loading for 5 minutes with a spinning circle. then it told me sold out.

Online only launches are the worst thing ever. I'd totally rather stand there for 5 hours instead of trying to beat scalpers on a website that goes down right away.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Now it says will be back at 3pm lol. It's mainly bots buying these.
They said it will be available at 12, 3, 6, and 9.

The ones at noon were for 11/25 delivery. Wonder if that is how they will be later on too or if they will be even further out.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
They said it will be available at 12, 3, 6, and 9.

The ones at noon were for 11/25 delivery. Wonder if that is how they will be later on too or if they will be even further out.
Does not matter, I won't get one. I couldn't even load the site. It literally sat on a white 503 service unavailable message until now where they just updated it to say check back at 3pm.

It will be the same type of thing, the site will crash. Checked reddit and no one was able to get it from Walmart.

One person claimed they got an order in at walmart 12 pm and has a ship date of Feb 5, 2021.

Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Does not matter, I won't get one. I couldn't even load the site. It literally sat on a white 503 service unavailable message until now where they just updated it to say check back at 3pm.

It will be the same type of thing, the site will crash. Checked reddit and no one was able to get it from Walmart.

One person claimed they got an order in at walmart 12 pm and has a ship date of Feb 5, 2021.

lol...at that point there's no reason to even place an order by fighting bots IMO

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
lol...at that point there's no reason to even place an order by fighting bots IMO
Yea that's too far out. Only thing I would be doing is finishing up last of us 2 and ghosts of tsushima on the new console. Not like there are really any games I can't play right now. Demon's souls looks good but I never fully got into those games before so it would likely be something I'd start and never finish.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I picked mine up this morning, and you can see the difference between the console design just in their boxes. On that note, it makes me wonder... I've opened up the Series X, and it pretty much sits in the middle of the box with all accessories in a box behind it. Although, there's quite a bit of space around the console. It makes me wonder if all that space and foam is necessary to protect it (it does have some heft to it), or if Microsoft could be a "bit more green" with their packaging. (A bit of an amusing remark when you consider that the packaging has lots of green on it. :p)

Unfortunately, given that I had to drive a good bit to get the console, it'll take me even longer to get off work to try it out!

Tried at 12am target as well. No luck. No stores within 50 miles of me had any come up. Went to bed around 12:30 and now I'm going to be annoyed at work even if I'm working from home lol.

I checked this website... PopChecker or something like that... to see how many were in my local area. Out of four stores, I believe we had 7, 12, 20, and 21 units available. (The last one being the store that I ended up getting it from.) I can tell you that it was quite frustrating sitting there trying to pay (via web and mobile) as I watched the product page tell me that my local store had 4... 3... 4... and gone. Although, people kept noting that given that all units just seemed to disappear at once that it seemed like Target shut it down. It took them over an hour to bring it back, and you had to be quite lucky even then!

Yea that's too far out. Only thing I would be doing is finishing up last of us 2 and ghosts of tsushima on the new console. Not like there are really any games I can't play right now. Demon's souls looks good but I never fully got into those games before so it would likely be something I'd start and never finish.

I ordered Godfall as part of Target's B2G1 deal, but the reviews aren't looking too hot. Perhaps I should see why everyone keeps bringing up this Bugsnax game.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I think I managed to win the turtle race at Costco for the PS5 bundle, got a confirmation email and everything.

Randomly refreshed Slickdeals, saw a mention of it and actually arrived at the right time. I am sure being part of a "pricey" bundle and behind the Costco members only wall helped a lot.

Now I have to figure out how to tell the wife that, thanks to @Aikouka and this lucky hit of mine that we have both next gen consoles. Sigh... the PS5 is really just for me and the ~10 Sony exclusives that make owning a PS worthwhile. I skipped the PS4 and had a PS3 for only Blu Ray playback (still works great, solid remote too). The xbox is going to be the family box with Game Pass. Switch is there for Nintendo games and for when the TV is in use. It's a rough tough life :D

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
That PS5 Costco bundle is expensive. I'm not sure why anyone would get it unless you're just REALLY trying to get a PS5.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
That PS5 Costco bundle is expensive. I'm not sure why anyone would get it unless you're just REALLY trying to get a PS5.
It's better than the $799 bundle gamestop was selling last night. Nba 2k and the miles spiderman game. I think the costco bundle had a year of playstation plus with a game and the two controllers. I would actually want a second controller.

Damn costco's site was so slow and when it finally put me through, it would not allow me to input my credit card information. Had to sue my roommate's costco member Id to even see the system on their site.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
It's better than the $799 bundle gamestop was selling last night. Nba 2k and the miles spiderman game. I think the costco bundle had a year of playstation plus with a game and the two controllers. I would actually want a second controller.

Damn costco's site was so slow and when it finally put me through, it would not allow me to input my credit card information. Had to sue my roommate's costco member Id to even see the system on their site.
No PS Plus, it had 1 month of PS Now

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
It's kind of odd how Target will let you order some things for pick-up and not others. I've seen this in the past, but I've never really known why some items were excluded. I wanted to order another controller and the Spider-Man game, but I cannot order the latter for pick-up. Although, I did notice that Sony is only providing a PS5 upgrade for Spider-Man (the original version, not Miles Morales) if you purchase the Miles Morales Ultimate Edition for PS5.

Although, speaking of Target, it looks like my copy of Godfall is backordered for shipping. I wonder if I should just cancel the game, go into the store, buy three games (including Godfall) and return the other two. To my knowledge, there's no way to switch from shipping to in-store pick-up.

I took a look at the Costco bundle, and outside of the PS Now subscription card, it doesn't look that bad. I'd probably see if I could flip the PS Now subscription card to help make up the extra cost, but the game and the extra controller are worthwhile.

Now I have to figure out how to tell the wife that, thanks to @Aikouka and this lucky hit of mine that we have both next gen consoles. Sigh... the PS5 is really just for me and the ~10 Sony exclusives that make owning a PS worthwhile. I skipped the PS4 and had a PS3 for only Blu Ray playback (still works great, solid remote too). The xbox is going to be the family box with Game Pass. Switch is there for Nintendo games and for when the TV is in use. It's a rough tough life :D

It sounds like the deal that Sony has going on where all PlayStation Plus members on PlayStation 5 have access to a collection of "greatest hits" PlayStation 4 games will work out quite well given you didn't have a PS4. If you haven't seen it yet, you can read about it here, which includes a list of the available games.

Reactions: blckgrffn

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com

Unlike the Xbox bundle, it was simply a game (that I would want) and a controller (that I imagine I would get regardless at some point) at retail prices ($70+$70) and a free month (trial, essentially) of Now. No bundle markup, no bundle discount.

I mean, I never played the other Spiderman game, so it's really like two full AAA titles (and I love Spiderman in general) so that works for me. Once I was reading about the loading time differential a couple years ago, I knew that holding out was how I was going to roll.

I hope that they release a "The Last of Us" PS5 edition with both games and full tech updates. That'll be like 4 of the games I want on PS already :D

If it made enough people think twice that I got a shot at it, that works fine for me.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Unlike the Xbox bundle, it was simply a game (that I would want) and a controller (that I imagine I would get regardless at some point) at retail prices ($70+$70) and a free month (trial, essentially) of Now. No bundle markup, no bundle discount.

I mean, I never played the other Spiderman game, so it's really like two full AAA titles (and I love Spiderman in general) so that works for me. Once I was reading about the loading time differential a couple years ago, I knew that holding out was how I was going to roll.

I hope that they release a "The Last of Us" PS5 edition with both games and full tech updates. That'll be like 4 of the games I want on PS already :D

If it made enough people think twice that I got a shot at it, that works fine for me.
Yea for you it's a good deal. I wanted it but it just wouldn't let me pay for it lol.

The ps library of ps4 games they made available on ps5 for new users like yourself is great too. Lots of games there you can catch up on.

I know that of they make a remastered version of last of us 2 I will get it for ps5 as well because to me that game alone is worth it along with the first one.

I'm not going to be stalking sites anymore. Wasted a lot of valuable time trying today. I'll get one when I can easily get one.. whenever that will be.

Reactions: cmdrdredd

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I think I managed to win the turtle race at Costco for the PS5 bundle, got a confirmation email and everything.

Randomly refreshed Slickdeals, saw a mention of it and actually arrived at the right time. I am sure being part of a "pricey" bundle and behind the Costco members only wall helped a lot.

Dude PS4 has some great exclusives on sale now or soon.

1. If you like Souls games at all, this is a really solid deal for Bloodborne Complete Edition for $15.04. It has been as low as $12.24 but is most of the time $35. This is my game of the century and one of the nine 10/10 games I have ever played (with others being Super Mario 1, Shinobi (arcade version), Zelda Link to the Past, Fallout 2, Half Life 1, Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne, Skyrim, NieR Automata). The DLC included in the Complete Edition has two of my three favorite bossfights from the entire Souls series.

2. If you like JRPG, Persona 5 Royal is a must. Probably my favorite turn based combat game to come out since Nocturne on PS2 back in like 04 (though Nocturne is also getting a PS4 remaster coming west next year; already out if you can read 日本語). Best Buy will have it for $20 in their Black Friday sale, or if you want the steelbook Gamestop will have it for $25. I wouldn't buy the original Persona 5 though, as Royal has some upgrades that made the game a lot less of a battle against the clock in addition to having some really cool new content.

3. God of War and The Last of Us (Part I) will be $10 at Best Buy when their BF sale starts. Those are both amazing.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Yea for you it's a good deal. I wanted it but it just wouldn't let me pay for it lol.

The ps library of ps4 games they made available on ps5 for new users like yourself is great too. Lots of games there you can catch up on.

I know that of they make a remastered version of last of us 2 I will get it for ps5 as well because to me that game alone is worth it along with the first one.

I'm not going to be stalking sites anymore. Wasted a lot of valuable time trying today. I'll get one when I can easily get one.. whenever that will be.

Same. I had 2 others trying for me too and no luck. Sites broke. The whole o line only thing just sucks.

Anyway I got a series x so I’ll just enjoy that.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I'll get one when I can easily get one.. whenever that will be.

Same here, I'm not going to drive myself nuts trying to pay Sony $500 for a system where there is really only one game I want right now (Demon's Souls). Did similar with Switch, finally picked one up once I could just walk into a random Best Buy and there would be ten of them there. Being that it's a $500 system I don't think we'll have anything like the Wii situation where it took two years before they could be readily found in any Best Buy / Walmart / etc.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Same. I had 2 others trying for me too and no luck. Sites broke. The whole o line only thing just sucks.

Anyway I got a series x so I’ll just enjoy that.

Same here. Sony really screwed up this launch from the start, unfortunately. That Bloomberg article that said Sony had to cut production by half due to supply issues, seems totally believable now.

Walmart was a debacle today.