official michigan republican primary thread

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I don't think we have one yet.

sorry democrats, but your delegates don't count :p

has anyone seen any exit poll data yet, though? I'm trapped in a bubble at work... Romney's n the lead according to RCP, but it'll be interesting to see if the dems and independents vote republican since the democratic votes don't really count for anything.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Im a republican living in Michigan.

I voted for Romney. Would like to see Thompson get the nod but I like Romney too and he needed to win Michigan.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Haha

Dems in Michigan are encouraging other Dems in Michigan to vote for Ron Paul in the primary today.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Wreckem
Haha

Dems in Michigan are encouraging other Dems in Michigan to vote for Ron Paul in the primary today.

Im hopeful there arent enough lame people here in Michigan that would waste their time trying to rig a vote like that. Wouldnt be the first time Paul supporters tried it though.

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
Haha

I'm thinking it will be the highest # of votes for Ron Paul in any primary, since they will all be write-ins and therefore hand-counted.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: bamacre
I hear the turn-out is lower than expected.

Yeah we'll see. I was actually surprised how many people were at my polling place though.

I think the media has it in their minds that snow will hold us back from going to the polls for some reason, but even if that were true (which its not), we only got a dusting last night, and there is no snow on the roads at all.

Mavtek3100

Jan 15, 2008
Originally posted by: Corbett
Haha

Im hopeful there arent enough lame people here in Michigan that would waste their time trying to rig a vote like that. Wouldnt be the first time Paul supporters tried it though.

Huhm so Paul supporters voting for the person they like is now considering rigging something?

Oh and now voting for the person you like is now lame? I guess by your voting for Romney you just voted for him to try to keep McCain from winning?

Very confused by your statement, I can't understand why a real "Republican" would get upset by democrats voting for a candidate that stands for what used to be core Republican values.

Or maybe "Republicans" have forgotten what core values "Republicans" are supposed to have. You know, limited government, low taxes, states rights, family values.

Considering everything I'd say the "Republican" party is broke.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Mavtek3100
Haha

Huhm so Paul supporters voting for the person they like is now considering rigging something?

Oh and now voting for the person you like is now lame? I guess by your voting for Romney you just voted for him to try to keep McCain from winning?

Very confused by your statement, I can understand why a real "Republican" would get upset by democrats voting for a candidate that stands for what used to be core Republican values.

Or maybe "Republicans" have forgotten what core values "Republicans" are supposed to have. You know, limited government, low taxes, states rights, family values.

Considering everything I'd say the "Republican" party is broke.

wwybywb?

clearly, the person you quoted was talking about democrats voting for ron paul specifically to throw a wrench in the republican primaries, not because they like, support, or agree with ron paul.

michigan has a tit-for-tat history of that kind of stuff.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Haha

I thought it was or another Repub candidate?

I don't see how Dems voting for RP would make an impact on the Repub primary. McCain or Romney maybe, that's expected to be close. But RP?

Fern

chowderhead

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 1999
I think there were claims in 2000 of Democrats voting for McCain to extend the GOP race between Bush and him. All the talk now is again, to extend the GOP race and voting for Romney. Romney is a candidate that can self-fund and has shown no issues with running "contrast" ads against his opponents.

Edit: Intrade has Romney at around a 57% chance of winning Michigan (up from 40% earlier today. McCain has dropped to a 41% chance of winning down from a 54% chance.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Fern
Haha

I thought it was or another Repub candidate?

I don't see how Dems voting for RP would make an impact on the Repub primary. McCain or Romney maybe, that's expected to be close. But RP?

Fern

Obama's not on the ballot. it's Clinton or bust, but Michigan isn't getting its delegates seated at the democrat convention, so it's kind of a bust either way.

a Romney win today would be good news for Rudy, though. I'm not sure even the dems want the republican party going down that route.

Mavtek3100

Jan 15, 2008
As a Republican I only see 2 Republicans running. Ron Paul and Fred Thompson. The Dems don't care who is on the Republican ballot with the exception of Ron Paul. It's been mentioned on Daily Kos several times. Dems don't want Ron Paul as Republicans could easily coalesce around him and independents could along with crossover Dems because of his record on Civil Liberties, the war, the patriot act, etc.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
As a Republican I only see 2 Republicans running. Ron Paul and Fred Thompson. The Dems don't care who is on the Republican ballot with the exception of Ron Paul. It's been mentioned on Daily Kos several times. Dems don't want Ron Paul as Republicans could easily coalesce around him and independents could along with crossover Dems because of his record on Civil Liberties, the war, the patriot act, etc.

If the GOP could "coalese around him" then why havent they done it already.

The GOP elites already picked their candidate, and hes losing... and it it ain't RP.

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
I thought he meant writing in Ron Paul for the Democratic primary, since the Michigan Democrat primary is FUBAR with most of the candidates not being on the ballot, but reading other responses I guess he means Democrats voting in the Republican primary. Does Michigan even allow that?

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003

If Ron Paul miraculously won the nomination, Bloomberg would run and it would be between him and the Democrat. Democrats are the opposite of Ron Paul, they would not crossover.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: glugglug
I thought he meant writing in Ron Paul for the Democratic primary, since the Michigan Democrat primary is FUBAR with most of the candidates not being on the ballot, but reading other responses I guess he means Democrats voting in the Republican primary. Does Michigan even allow that?

as far as I know, it's an open primary like NH. anyone can vote in whatever primary they want to (and for dems, it's kinda like vote republican or stay home unless there are local issues on the ballot).

chowderhead

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 1999
early exit polling by AP doesn't look good for McCain. Fewer Independents and very few Democrats voting in the Republican primary. Though after NH where they had to eventually "weight" the exit polls to "match" the returns, I am not too confident of exit polling.

Mavtek3100

Jan 15, 2008

If the GOP could "coalese around him" then why havent they done it already.

The GOP elites already picked their candidate, and hes losing... and it it ain't RP.

Simple, the GOP are full of simpletons who only get their news from "Fox News".

Lets not forget how the mainstream media is treating him, the guy quits politics after being shafted by his best friends when he ran as a Libertarian. One of these shaftees continues with a newsletter that Ron was part of when he was in politics. Ron is in Lake Jackson delivering babies and publicly swearing against politics any future political ventures. All the while some a-hole in Houston is printing up "Ron Paul Political Reports" claiming to be writing for Ron Paul.

The guy or maybe gal has some articles that could easily be construed as racist, Ron doesn't find about these "newsletters" until 1994. He publicly denounces them and returns to his medical practice. One year later 1995 Ron's good Friend Nolan Ryan tells him that Bush is screwing with Texas and the 14th district and has appointed his own crony to run for congress. Nolan convinces Ron to run, Ron runs and wins.

Now on the eve of the NH primary racist junk is rehashed.

Media covering Paul is nonexistent, money is in the tanks, GOP publicly call Paul a loon, his poll numbers go down, when they were on the rise. 75% of GOP hasn't heard of Ron Paul, of the 25% who have 50% have a negative view because of lies.

One of the best lies I've heard is Ron Paul blames America for 911. Well maybe not best, maybe the worst since it's so inherently stupid.

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by: Farang
If Ron Paul miraculously won the nomination, Bloomberg would run and it would be between him and the Democrat. Democrats are the opposite of Ron Paul, they would not crossover.

Actually, its the current crop of Republicans who are the opposite of Ron Paul.

I know A LOT of democrats who would vote for him. Very few Republicans though.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Originally posted by: bamacre
I hear the turn-out is lower than expected.

Yeah we'll see. I was actually surprised how many people were at my polling place though.

I think the media has it in their minds that snow will hold us back from going to the polls for some reason, but even if that were true (which its not), we only got a dusting last night, and there is no snow on the roads at all.
Speak for yourself. I woke up to 5" of snow this morning.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Boomerang! I have family in Kalamazoo, they went out voted for the doctor! You should too!

so... are you a bot or a banned member?

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
The Dem's really kinda screwed themselves on this one.

They scheduled their primary early in violation of the party doctrines. They were warned not to do so, but went ahead anyway.

Now, their delegates will not be seated. There is no real sense in voting the Democratic ticket here in Michigan for this primary. The only major candidate, Hillary, violated her parties rules by putting her name on the ballot. No real surprise there, as the Clinton's have never thought rules applied to them.

I understand why the Dem's did what they did. Hopefully they will accomplish their goal which as I understand it, is to undo the lock both Iowa and NH have on being first in the primaries. I heard it was suggested to rotate the order, which would be a small first step toward fairer elections here in the US.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: glugglug
Originally posted by: Farang

Actually, its the current crop of Republicans who are the opposite of Ron Paul.

I know A LOT of democrats who would vote for him. Very few Republicans though.

Then they arent democrats.