*** Official Intel Pentium 4 EE and Athlon 64 Thread ***

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Viditor

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
I can't think of any reason to buy a 32 bit only system when I can buy a 32 and 64 bit system for the same or lower cost!
It's like buying a TV...even though there's only limited HDTV broadcast now, why would you buy a set that wasn't capable of displaying HDTV...you know it's coming, the only dispute is when! Why gamble?
JMHO

andreasl

Aug 25, 2000
Originally posted by: Viditor
I can't think of any reason to buy a 32 bit only system when I can buy a 32 and 64 bit system for the same or lower cost!
It's like buying a TV...even though there's only limited HDTV broadcast now, why would you buy a set that wasn't capable of displaying HDTV...you know it's coming, the only dispute is when! Why gamble?
JMHO

Yeah that is what AMD wants everyone to think. But you will only be able to use a beta 64-bit version of Windows until sometime next year. And during that time, finding 64-bit drivers for all kinds of hardware will be a problem (especially if you have some exotic hardware).

I also bet that you won't be installing more than 4GB (or even 2GB) RAM anytime soon :)

Buy whatever gives you the best performance for your money and forget about 64 bits or 32 bits..... At leats for a few more years. The performance difference between 64-bit and 32-bit is minimal to say the least. With GCC (on Linux) the difference between 64-bit and 32-bit was about 6-7% on SPECint and even the 64-bit score was LOWER than using the Intel (32-bit) compiler. There might be some special showcase application (UT2003 maybe?) that shows a much bigger increase than that, but that will probably because they optimized the hell out of it for the K8 instead of some general 64-bit advantage...

Viditor

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
G'day Andreas!
I guess I just don't want to be in the position of having to predict when drivers and/or apps will be ready...
Some say it will be by early next year, others as late as next Xmas...
From what I've seen so far in the pre-reviews, Athlon64 performs at LEAST as well as any P4 out there (or expected to be in the near future...).
The kicker for me is that the P4 3.2 (not EE) is selling for $600, and the Athlon64 3200 is selling for $500...seems like a no-brainer.
JMHO

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Viditor
G'day Andreas!
I guess I just don't want to be in the position of having to predict when drivers and/or apps will be ready...
Some say it will be by early next year, others as late as next Xmas...
From what I've seen so far in the pre-reviews, Athlon64 performs at LEAST as well as any P4 out there (or expected to be in the near future...).
The kicker for me is that the P4 3.2 (not EE) is selling for $600, and the Athlon64 3200 is selling for $500...seems like a no-brainer.
JMHO

That is true unless you are coming from an INtel platform...How much are the boards going to run us?? How much is registered memory cost to get 1gb or 2gb of it if I went after an fx-51???

redpriest_

Oct 30, 1999
One thing everyone has missed is that according to xbitlabs, Intel confesses that even Prescott at 3.2 GHz won't outperform a Pentium 4 EE at the same clock speed. Isn't that telling?

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
Originally posted by: redpriest_
One thing everyone has missed is that according to xbitlabs, Intel confesses that even Prescott at 3.2 GHz won't outperform a Pentium 4 EE at the same clock speed. Isn't that telling?
Happen to have a link handy?

I would be very skeptical of the reliability of that quote.

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001

They forgot something..... It will outperform it in power consumption.... ;)

Wait, I think they are close.... :p

redpriest_

Oct 30, 1999
"Quite a while ago already we paid attention to the fact that larger processor cache has a highly positive influence on the processor performance in gaming applications. That is why it would be quite logical to expect that Pentium 4 3.2GHz Extreme Edition will do really good there. For example, we heard that the performance of Pentium 4 Extreme Edition working bat 3.2GHz will be 15% (or even more) higher than that of the Northwood based Pentium 4 3.2GHz processor. But it is today that I heard the most surprising thing: Intel admits that Pentium 4 3.2GHz Extreme Edition will show even higher gaming performance than the upcoming Prescott 3.2GHz!"

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/editorial/display/idf-fall2003-3_7.html
Xbit labs "Surprises from IDF"

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
I see... You took the comment a little out of context. The comment only referred to "gaming performance". And I suppose that the extra cache of the EE could make up the ground (in gaming) for the other enhancements that Prescott will bring.

(Please keep in mind that I am only speculating... No less than everyone else here. ;) )

andreasl

Aug 25, 2000
"Quite a while ago already we paid attention to the fact that larger processor cache has a highly positive influence on the processor performance in gaming applications. That is why it would be quite logical to expect that Pentium 4 3.2GHz Extreme Edition will do really good there. For example, we heard that the performance of Pentium 4 Extreme Edition working bat 3.2GHz will be 15% (or even more) higher than that of the Northwood based Pentium 4 3.2GHz processor. But it is today that I heard the most surprising thing: Intel admits that Pentium 4 3.2GHz Extreme Edition will show even higher gaming performance than the upcoming Prescott 3.2GHz!"

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/editorial/display/idf-fall2003-3_7.html
Xbit labs "Surprises from IDF"

Gaming performance, not general performance. And I think that is pretty plausable. Personally I think SSE2 performance and Hyperthreading will see the biggest boost with Prescott. But for that to happen alot of Hans de Vries predictions have to come true :)

Viditor

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
"How much are the boards going to run us?? "
Looks to be starting in the $150 range...

"How much is registered memory cost to get 1gb or 2gb of it if I went after an fx-51?"
Hmmm...I look at the fx-51 the same as I do the P4EE...buy them only if you have "throw-away" money. You'll have the fastest, latest, and greatest, but you'll have spent way too much for it. As to buying 1-2GB of ECC memory, there is simply no reason too until the 64bit OS and apps come out. You can always increase then, when ram prices for these modules have dropped (as the Dramurai have already stated they will).

orion7144

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Excelsior
Originally posted by: Cesar
Originally posted by: gorillaman
This might give you an idea of the costs expected for each platform. GM

holy Sh!t !!!!!!!!!!!!:Q

Its Toms Hardware; aka pure BS.

What are you smoking? He gets his prices from the same place AT and the rest do.

And alexruiz You must not be keeping up with the latest info about the Prescott. They anounced a few weeks ago that they were changing the Stepping on the Prescott in order to reduce the heat disapation and it would not affect the launch date.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: orion7144

What are you smoking? He gets his prices from the same place AT and the rest do.

And alexruiz You must not be keeping up with the latest info about the Prescott. They anounced a few weeks ago that they were changing the Stepping on the Prescott in order to reduce the heat disapation and it would not affect the launch date.

The same stuff you are
rolleye.gif
. Where did I say the prices were crap? Thats what I thought.

Edit: Infact, his prices are messed up. Whats with the memory? I found this Corsair registered pc3200 for $166 per 512MB...

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Out of all the reviews this page I found the most interesting, here. Scroll down to where they use the optimized Quake dlls for AMD. It really makes you wonder what other apps are not recognizing the AMD chips correctly.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: classy
Out of all the reviews this page I found the most interesting, here. Scroll down to where they use the optimized Quake dlls for AMD. It really makes you wonder what other apps are not recognizing the AMD chips correctly.

Whoa :Q.

The same stuff you are
rolleye.gif

Edit: Infact, his prices are messed up. Whats with the memory? I found this Corsair registered pc3200 for $166 per 512MB...

Can you think of anything better to do? Dont just say that Tom's price list isn't as accurate as Anand's. Show it...
If you can't, then shut it...

Accord99

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: classy

The optimized DLLs boosts the P4s as well.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002

The same stuff you are
rolleye.gif

Can you think of anything better to do? Dont just say that Tom's price list isn't as accurate as Anand's. Show it...
If you can't, then shut it...

Of course I can, but then again you are replying to my apparently worthless post. Can you read? I NEVER said Tom's price list isn't as accurate as Anand's. You = idiot, and STFU yourself.

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: MadRat
A single processor P4EE should demolish a single AMD64 chip. Its when you go to duals that the big difference will be realized.

My original assumptions appear to be wrong. The P4 core still rules when it comes to SSE2 optimizations, but the margins of victory are slimming if anything.

Chobit

Sep 24, 2003
I don't know about you guys, but is it fair to compare a 64 bit cpu to a 32 bit cpu? In theory, the 64 bit cpu should be twice as fast as the 32 bit cpu. Was it? I don't doubt that it beat the 32 bit cpu in some or even most if the scores, but how much of a performance gain overall was witnessed? Is it enough to go out and buy ether one of the cpu's for the near 1 grand its going to cost for them? Not for me at least. I have a P4 2.8c, 512 corsair 3500 XMS, AIW 9700 and its all sitting on my P4C800 E DX. It does what I want and it does it damn fast too. You can have the fastest pc in the world and it will still be there on my desk running as pretty as you'll ever want to see day and night. I could care less how fast your machine is. I will say this though, that 64 bit cpu is damn fine for what it can do and what it could do one day, but that old little 32 bit cpu is certainly no push over. Right now and in a few years 32 bit cpu's will still be going strong. They are in no way slow or obsolete yet, but the truth is 64 bit is the future no questions about it. Just remember that we still have a few years to go before this happens. Don't count 32 bit cpu's out yet, they still have the rest of the year and I would't doubt the next. Right now that 64 bit cpu is a taste of things to come from all sides. I can't wait to see what happens on ether side of the court!

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001
Originally posted by: orion7144<

Yes, I know about it.... but how much do you think it is realistic to get?

By the way, the EE outperforms the pertzelcott in heat dissipation (ouheats?) The rumored first iteration of the pretzelcott was rumored at 103 W, the EE is aprox 117 W.....

How much do you think that realistically they can reduce in power consumption? 5%, 6% or more? That still leaves you at a not so cool 90W.....