Official Ikea Jerker thread

paulney

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2003
In light of the situation where at least a dozen thread about Ikea Jerker have recently popped up on AT, I suggest a permanent sticky Offical Ikea Jerker Thread.

This is the thread for all the happy owners of Ikea Jerker to jer... I mean enjoy their ownership, exchange modding ideas, helpful set up tips and other invaluable information. For the unlucky suckers who didn't get on the deal before it was discontinued, this is the place to b!tch and moan.

Thank you, that is all.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
I got mine free from someone on craigslist, due to them moving out out town.
I have to say this desk kicks major as in functionality/looks/versatility department.

I recently purchased 2 swivel side mount shelves on ebay which I haven't attached yet, but it will give me even more room once I move the scanner and printer over.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
The Jerker is nice, but there are other desks... The Gallant series is great, except I don't have as much confidence in the adjustable legs as I use to after learning of how the "locking" mechanism works.

Skeeedunt

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2005
It's a nice desk, but it gets uncomfortable having my mouse and keyboard that high. Has anyone attached a keyboard tray to one?

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001
I love mine. It's great that you can easily take it apart and move it without destroying it.

Jawo

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
Originally posted by: rockyct
I love mine. It's great that you can easily take it apart and move it without destroying it.

Thats what I love best about the desk. I have moved it many times (4-5) during college and it still looks like new. Now lets see a particle board desk do that!

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
Originally posted by: Jawo

Thats what I love best about the desk. I have moved it many times (4-5) during college and it still looks like new. Now lets see a particle board desk do that!

err... it is particle board pretty much, just laminated.

I love mine, but have found it a bit too large. The new frederik desk or something.. is basically a smaller version.. I would get that now if I could. But that'd make the current desk a waste.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I liked my jerker, but I didn't shed any tears when I threw it out last spring... it's just a bit too big, and the space isn't actually useful space.

the desk seems a lot deeper than your average desk, but it's not as if I can comfortably put my 19" monitor at the far end of it, so I just ended up with a ton of extra space to dust in back of the monitor.

se7en

Platinum Member
Oct 23, 2002
I never liked them honestly they looked to college dormish for me. Functional I am sure but not very pleasant on the eyes or the room.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
I've been very happy with mine.

Though I'd rather have a solid wood desk, but I'm also not made of money.

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
bought a galant the day before yesterday....need to get off my ass today and put it together

markgm

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2001
I didn't know these had a following. I picked mine up in 2003. On the crossbar I installed about 20 electrical outlets for all of my stuff, it works pretty well. I have the additional top shelf and 5 or 6 of the swing arms.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
Originally posted by: randomlinh
Originally posted by: Jawo

err... it is particle board pretty much, just laminated.

I love mine, but have found it a bit too large. The new frederik desk or something.. is basically a smaller version.. I would get that now if I could. But that'd make the current desk a waste.

Yeah but the frame and railings are all metal box frames. The desk portion is particle board. Even if you spend big bucks buying a desk it will most likely be particle board.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
I have the Jerker desk ask well. I got all the options (swing out platform, CPU holder) except the cabient underneath. It's a tough desk. It's all steel and you can take it apart multiple times. There is no threaded portions of the desk so it pretty much is put together with nuts and bolts. Ikea no longer sells the Jerker due to this.

paulney

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2003
I actually started this thread in humor, but people really do like their desks.
I personally have Michael series - corner desk with extensions.

Henrythewound

Oct 25, 2002
why don't they sell the desk anymore? I have the one with the indent in the front. I have had to take it apart 3-4 times to adjust the height etc. The lack of threads seems like a good thing if that's the case, nothing to strip out.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
Originally posted by: Henrythewound
why don't they sell the desk anymore? I have the one with the indent in the front. I have had to take it apart 3-4 times to adjust the height etc. The lack of threads seems like a good thing if that's the case, nothing to strip out.

There actually is a website dedicated to this type of desk. It features photos of different configurations and mods people have done. The problem is that Ikea realized the desk to too durable and stopped selling it.

FP

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Imp
The Jerker is nice, but there are other desks... The Gallant series is great, except I don't have as much confidence in the adjustable legs as I use to after learning of how the "locking" mechanism works.

I have a 3-piece Gallant desk. It is huge and I love it.

Links to problems with the locking mechanism? It is simply a screw that you torque against the hollow interior leg.