*Official* House of the Dragon thread

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
1661203910031.png

Split off from the Game of Thrones thread.

This prequel started airing yesterday!
Set 200yrs before Game of Thrones.

GRRM is involved with this series (unlike the final season of GoT).
reviews are good so far

Last edited:

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Curious to see the viewership figures once the season is fully underway. Well see if the GOT franchise is dead in the water no matter how good a quality this show may end up being.

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Got me interested enough again to buy the book. I liked all the others so why not. Do wish GRRM would finish GOT though. Would like to see his take on the finish.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Got me interested enough again to buy the book. I liked all the others so why not. Do wish GRRM would finish GOT though. Would like to see his take on the finish.
Wait.. this is prequel is actually a book series?
Lol.. squeezing $ since I expect more buyers than his much delayed GoT book.

Edit:
Wiki says no.
Prequel Based on parts of the novel Fire & Blood

What book did you buy?

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Watched episode 1. It was OK, not great not terrible. The douche weasel that plays Daemon (the brother) is the guy from Morbius. He's just the worst, one of the most unwatchable actors I've ever seen. Plot was a bit predictable, I had the episode generally mapped out about 10 minutes in and I think it's pretty easy to see where the season is headed.

As someone who has read all the A Song of Ice and Fire books and stopped watching the show when the show passed the books (remember when it was publicly stated that the showrunners knew how the book series would end and had GRRM's blessing?) I'd say this looks to be about Season 3 or 4 quality: acceptable but neither great nor a train wreck.

Edited: I also need to mention that, like so many other shows these days, the sound balancing is terrible. You'd best keep your remote handy as you have to turn the volume up to hear what the characters are saying at times and then turn it down so you don't rattle your Degas off the wall at others.

Last edited:

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Watched episode 1. It was OK, not great not terrible. The douche weasel that plays Daemon (the brother) is the guy from Morbius. He's just the worst, one of the most unwatchable actors I've ever seen. Plot was a bit predictable, I had the episode generally mapped out about 10 minutes in and I think it's pretty easy to see where the season is headed.

As someone who has read all the A Song of Ice and Fire books and stopped watching the show when the show passed the books (remember when it was publicly stated that the showrunners knew how the book series would end and had GRRM's blessing?) I'd say this looks to be about Season 3 or 4 quality: acceptable but neither great nor a train wreck.

Edited: I also need to mention that, like so many other shows these days, the sound balancing is terrible. You'd best keep your remote handy as you have to turn the volume up to hear what the characters are saying at times and then turn it down so you don't rattle your Degas off the wall at others.

You watch your fucking mouth when speaking about Matt Smith.

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Wait.. this is prequel is actually a book series?

Prequel Based on parts of the novel Fire & Blood

What book did you buy?

"Fire and Blood". Been around for a while, just never was interested in it before.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Curious to see the viewership figures once the season is fully underway. Well see if the GOT franchise is dead in the water no matter how good a quality this show may end up being.

The final season of GOT and the authors inability to release a book in a decade has definitely put me off somewhat. I'll sub to HBO at the season end and check it out however.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Or don't watch it on your peon sound system.

I had no sound issues and the show had a great soundtrack. As good as you can really get for something streaming that is. Nothing on par with a bluray.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
I mean, it's the only show that has those sound issues and my peon system handles everything else I watch just fine...

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
I'll watch another GRRM show when he (or more likely Brandon Sanderson), finishes the series.

Or if they remake season 8. It was right there. They could have reunited the bloodlines Aragorn/Arwen style with Daenerys and Aegon and ushered in an age of peace and plenty after they both defeat the Night King in an epic aerial battle. But no, we get autistic crow king. Ugh.

Reactions: jman19

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Bran should have died in season 1, eaten alive by crows as he lay at the bottom of the tower. Caw caw.

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
There is no point in discussing the original GOT series here as it is completely irrelevant and an entirely different show.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
I mean it literally is set in the same universe, at the same physical place, with some of the same families.....but ok?

Would be a bit like not talking about Breaking Bad in a Better Call Saul discussion.

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
There isn't a nearly 200-year difference between Better Call Saul and Breaking Bad.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Kind of weak that the intro is just the GoT song. I was hoping it would be some kind of remix of it or something completely different. It's still an awesome song I just was expecting something different.

Nov 29, 2006
Kind of weak that the intro is just the GoT song. I was hoping it would be some kind of remix of it or something completely different. It's still an awesome song I just was expecting something different.

I havent watched a GoT episode in a while, but wasnt it remixed? Same song, but sounded a bit different to my ears. Either way i enjoyed last nights episode just as much as the 1st. So far so good.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I havent watched a GoT episode in a while, but wasnt it remixed? Same song, but sounded a bit different to my ears. Either way i enjoyed last nights episode just as much as the 1st. So far so good.
Pretty sure it was the same exact song, and if it was different, it wasn't different enough for me to even notice.