**OFFICIAL HALF LIFE 2 THREAD** - KEEP ALL THE HALF LIFE CHATTER IN HERE GUYS!!

Page 42 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

clicknext

Banned
Mar 27, 2002
After playing around with the settings, I've found that this game runs VERY well on my system: Radeon 9600 Pro, AXP 3200+, 512MB DDR333, nF2. Settings are everything on high, reflect world, 4XAA, 4XAF. The game is a bit choppy right after a section loads, but otherwise frame rates stay above 30 for the most part.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
While I am enjoying the game there are definitely some annoying issues. First, as others have mentioned, the frequent level loading. I found this particularly troublesome when driving the airboat. It is a little silly to be speeding along in this airboat only to suddenly stop, wait...level load, then continue. That really upsets the flow of that sequence. I would go so far to say that is poor level design.

The other thing that bothers me a little is the amount of puzzle solving. I just finished the airboat sequence and so far I think I have spent as much time solving puzzles as I have spent in actual combat.

To be clear, I am enjoying the game. However, it does have some game play weaknesses IMHO that do detract from the experience.

-KeithP

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: KeithP
While I am enjoying the game there are definitely some annoying issues. First, as others have mentioned, the frequent level loading. I found this particularly troublesome when driving the airboat. It is a little silly to be speeding along in this airboat only to suddenly stop, wait...level load, then continue. That really upsets the flow of that sequence. I would go so far to say that is poor level design.

The other thing that bothers me a little is the amount of puzzle solving. I just finished the airboat sequence and so far I think I have spent as much time solving puzzles as I have spent in actual combat.

To be clear, I am enjoying the game. However, it does have some game play weaknesses IMHO that do detract from the experience.

-KeithP

....if you're spending THAT much time on puzzles, I dont think its the developers fault. ;) :p

Glavinsolo

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2004
Originally posted by: warcrow

-KeithP

....if you're spending THAT much time on puzzles, I dont think its the developers fault. ;) :p

that is a low blow

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Ahhhhh! I LOVE IT!!! I am SO much more impressed with this than Doom 3, just so much more. Sorry Id you lost this round.

The game runs wonderfully, sounds unreal, and plays with such intensity :D

The most exhilirating SP FPS experience I've played to date

Furyline

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2001
This game is just too much fun. I've been hooked since I walked into somebody's apartment and chucked their tv out the window. And now the gravity gun... chucking junk at braindead headcrabs. Sweet. I just finished the Raven part. Fun fun fun. :D

XBoxLPU

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2001
Man I just loved the entire airboat escape to the lab.... so much fun!

And then I got to meet DOG... OMG.....

This game is simply amazing

Nov 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Glavinsolo
Originally posted by: warcrow

-KeithP

that is a low blow

It was still funny

VIAN

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2003
that is a low blow
Well, puzzles don't seem that hard to me. I haven't got stuck once, and I'm just passed the buggy. Sometimes, I may attempt to solve them wrong, and then oh, I see... but the problem is still clear.

Ahhhhh! I LOVE IT!!! I am SO much more impressed with this than Doom 3, just so much more. Sorry Id you lost this round.
Looks like Gabe stepped in just in time as John is stepping out... and Gabe seemed to do a better job with performance.

I can agree that Doom is Doom, but this game seems like it was much more worth it to buy than Doom III in terms that it was more thought out. The time wasn't spent just on the engine, but also on the all the elements of plot and story... other characters, not just a solo battle. This is everything that Doom III wasn't. Although, I can't totally nock Doom III's graphics, as they are marvelous as well. Nor can I say that Doom III wasn't a great game, because it was. But in my book, where Doom III would get 4/5 points, HL2 would get 5/5.

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Oie... the Ravenholm (is that the name?) part was amazing. I hated it, and yet loved every minute... weird. So far, so good ;)

Falloutboy

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2003
ok I'm stuck again...i'm on the air boat level but can't open the gates to get back thru...(the spot with the broke switch to open them whats the trick I can't figure it out for the life of me.

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Originally posted by: Falloutboy
ok I'm stuck again...i'm on the air boat level but can't open the gates to get back thru...(the spot with the broke switch to open them whats the trick I can't figure it out for the life of me.

Look for a long ladder on one of the other dams.

Slogun

Platinum Member
Jul 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Falloutboy

I think that's the part where you shoot the ezposive barrels to unleash the battering ram on the dam doors.

royaldank

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2001
I'm in the middle of the Raven level. Figured I'd post my initial impressions after a 4 or 5 solid hours.

The game is really nice. The sound, the environments, the enemies...they are all great. The sound effects really stand out. The constant chatter, the environment sounds; it really makes it seem like a complete wasteland with big brother watching every step.

The gravity gun rocks. Love playing with that. Level design so far has been pretty cool. I've gotten stuck a couple places but no more than 5 - 10 minutes to figure out what to do.

I'm really enjoying it. Like others, I'm much more excited to keep playing this than I was with Doom 3. I loved FarCry, but I think I'm enjoying HL2 more now. The gravity gun is sweet.

The wife will be out tomorrow night, so I'll be playing more when I get off work tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

NYHoustonman

Platinum Member
Dec 8, 2002
Originally posted by: jdiddy
Originally posted by: NYHoustonman
Those Xen aliens were enslaved, I read about it in the prima thingy.

Basically, I'm at that same spot, and I had to stop b/c of the awesomenes... dog... then blades... then... OMG.

Wait enslaved by the humans or the combine? Is the Prima Guide worth it?

In the first, they were enslaved by the aliens on Xen, that invaded earth. Because you freed them, they're friendly with you now. And by the Prima thingy, I meant the thing that came with the CE :)... Although "Raising the Bar" does look good.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
I couldn't figure out how to get the airboat past the flaming barricade they put up. So I went on foot. For about 30 minutes. Then when I'm escaping the helicopter, and entering the tunnel, I find that it's full of toxic waste, and you need the boat to survive. It saved over the autosave at the beginning of the level, and my quicksaves are all before I ditched the boat.... :-

Anyways, I'm writing this game off. It was fun while it lasted, but I can't stand to play through all that again.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: INGlewood78
How do I get passed the electric fence in the "We don't go to Ravenholm" chapter?

There's a switch in the upstairs room where you find the first spidery head crab things. Are they like evolved head crabs?

Anyways, now I know why we don't go to Ravenholm. Looks like the Combine shelled the fvck out of that place at some point, right?

VIAN

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2003
Another few hours playing. Now I see that some reviewer gripes were stupid.

I'm heading towards the NEXUS. I'm inside already, just in the doorway.

Performance dies later on. Looks good in the beginning, but unfortunately, I was forced to drop down a resolution. And it still stutters at times and framerates drops at times.

Now playing at: 800x600 2xAA/8xAF

This game requires 256MB of RAM to fully enjoy and since I only have so much, 128MB, I have to play at 800x600. Yay.

Shortest Loading Time Witnessed: 3 sec
Longest Loading Time Witnessed: 23 sec

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
i have been playing this too log, i had a sex dream involving Alyx last night..............

it went good:D

god i wish i could control my dreams

AcidicFury

Golden Member
May 7, 2004
I need some help. I am at the part in Route Canals where there is a large underwater turbine or something, but there is no way to get through there. Any ideas? Thanks!!

Forsythe

Platinum Member
May 2, 2004
How many people have finished the game yet? I have for one. No big problems, i only played on normal though.

Sep 12, 2004
Originally posted by: AcidicFury
I need some help. I am at the part in Route Canals where there is a large underwater turbine or something, but there is no way to get through there. Any ideas? Thanks!!
Dive underwater and look around.

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: Nebor
I couldn't figure out how to get the airboat past the flaming barricade they put up. So I went on foot. For about 30 minutes. Then when I'm escaping the helicopter, and entering the tunnel, I find that it's full of toxic waste, and you need the boat to survive. It saved over the autosave at the beginning of the level, and my quicksaves are all before I ditched the boat.... :-

Anyways, I'm writing this game off. It was fun while it lasted, but I can't stand to play through all that again.

hehe! There was a white sheet metal laying right next to the fire that you use as a ramp. I admire your ceativity though. :)

Dont give up, dude, its such a fun game! Starting over isnt that bad of an idea! :)