**OFFICIAL HALF LIFE 2 THREAD** - KEEP ALL THE HALF LIFE CHATTER IN HERE GUYS!!

Page 30 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TwYsTeD

Nov 11, 2003
I forgot where I pre-ordered mine from. It's been awhile, hopefully my order didn't expire :p

xSkyDrAx

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by: fisher
because you can actually have a convo instead of just posting? but if you guys can't figure out something as complicated as irc i guess it's out of the question. :D

heh. Whats wrong with having a convo and free nef points :D

flashbacck

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2001
If I download Steam at school and download it there, can I burn a copy and reinstall it on my home computer? Or is each "purchase" system specific?

trek

Dec 13, 2000
Originally posted by: flashbacck
If I download Steam at school and download it there, can I burn a copy and reinstall it on my home computer? Or is each "purchase" system specific?
You can use it anywhere, each purchase is tied to your steam account.

RealityTime

Oct 18, 2004
In case anyone cares vampire the masquerade:bloodlines is out now :) It uses the source engine if that counts for anything :roll: Actually it should be a good game. Half Life 2 owns all I agree but lets not forget the next two months are the best two months for pc game releases in at least 4 years. Add in Doom 3 a couple months back and its a definate. Some up and coming: Knights of the old Republic 2, World of Warcraft, Prince of Persia 2, Battle for Middle Earth, the joint operations expansion, HL2 of course, there are some others as well. I am tired and can't remember though. Thank God I don't work till Thursday!!!! Late night gaming till wednesday :beer:

snidy1

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2003
Can I load HL 2 on both of my systems through Steam or do I need to buy 2 copies?

DefRef

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
I was in a Beast Buy yesterday and freaked out to see a HL2 box sitting on a shelf, but when I picked it up, I was sad to see that it was empty. Snagging a clerk, he said that they'd started selling it on Saturday, per BB orders, only to pull it off the floor by order of Valve/VU because it wasn't playable until t'row because of the Steam activation. Someone had ganked the game, but won't be able to play it yet.

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
OK, my curiosity has gotten the best of me. I've pretty much been uninterested in HL2 until the last few days and now I'm kinda getting excited about the release.

Honestly, I would prefer to get the game locally and not through Steam. However, I'd really like DOD:S and HL:S but I don't care about getting the Collector's Edition.

So my only option is to get the Silver package thru Steam, right? I assume that the basic HL2 retail box just has HL2 and CS:S (ie, identical to the bronze package). So if I want DOD and HL:S, then I just need to get the Silver package from Steam, right?

sswingle

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
Originally posted by: snidy1
Can I load HL 2 on both of my systems through Steam or do I need to buy 2 copies?

It probably won't let you play on both at once, but yea.

Slogun

Platinum Member
Jul 4, 2001
Originally posted by: bamacre
Originally posted by: HostVisions
That time (Eastern Time) will this be unlocked?

3:00am Eastern

2:00am Central

1:00am Mountain

12:00am Pacific

:)

Yea, it's been 12 midnight Pacific for a while now, but someone posted elsewhere that it's now 11pm Pacific.
Has the release time indeed changed?

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Slogun
Originally posted by: HostVisions
That time (Eastern Time) will this be unlocked?

3:00am Eastern

2:00am Central

1:00am Mountain

12:00am Pacific

:)

Yea, it's been 12 midnight Pacific for a while now, but someone posted elsewhere that it's now 11pm Pacific.
Has the release time indeed changed?

Not that I am aware of. I can't stay up that late anyways, I do indeed have to work tomorrow.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Not that I am aware of. I can't stay up that late anyways, I do indeed have to work tomorrow.
You're not taking the day off?

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: BlueWeasel
OK, my curiosity has gotten the best of me. I've pretty much been uninterested in HL2 until the last few days and now I'm kinda getting excited about the release.

Honestly, I would prefer to get the game locally and not through Steam. However, I'd really like DOD:S and HL:S but I don't care about getting the Collector's Edition.

So my only option is to get the Silver package thru Steam, right? I assume that the basic HL2 retail box just has HL2 and CS:S (ie, identical to the bronze package). So if I want DOD and HL:S, then I just need to get the Silver package from Steam, right?

Thats correct. I've purchased the silver version via steam.

Aug 4, 2004
Originally posted by: warcrow
Originally posted by: BlueWeasel

I also purchased the silver version via steam but I imagine valve will implement a feature that would allow you to upgrade from bronze to silver at some point.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Modeps
You're not taking the day off?

Nah. I just started a new job 6 months ago, and I really like it. I could, but, ah, it's just not worth it. I'm that kind of guy who is always at work, never call in unless I'm really sick. Employers love that, and in fact, at times I can be honest when I need to ask for time off. Example, "I'm going to a concert on Sunday night and I'll be hung over on Monday morning, so can I take Monday off?," and I get it. Asking for a day off to play a computer game might raise an eyebrow. I've waited over a year, I can wait another 15 hours or so. :)

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Asking for a day off to play a computer game might raise an eyebrow.
Thats why you say "hey boss, I need to take a personal day tomrrow."
;)

(ps: I dont think I'll be doing that, I'm the same way with wanting to be at work all the time)

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Originally posted by: warcrow

Originally posted by: oneiros
I also purchased the silver version via steam but I imagine valve will implement a feature that would allow you to upgrade from bronze to silver at some point.

Thanks!