EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
This thread is for all State elections & propositions

xeemzor

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2005
Anybody have predictions on who holds the Ohio Statehouse? I say it's going to be a Republican majority by 1 seat. Though, a majority by either party will be minuscule.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
We didn't even have a Republican candidate for State Senator in our district... just Democratic and Independent candidates.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
I'm watching WA right-to-die and train props (forget the numbers), here's to hoping both pass and Eyman goes down in flames tonight. I didn't even get to vote this year so if anything loses by 1 I'm pissed.

351Cleveland

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2001
I am hoping (and expecting) Mitch Daniels to hold the Governor's seat in Indiana. I am also hoping (expecting) the control of the house and senate in Indiana to remain as it is.

I dont know if this is federal or local... not expecting any changes in the House, and we have no Senators up for election this time around.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
I'll update this later tonight for the 2 Michigan proposals.

#1 -- Medical Marijuana - Permit the use and cultivation of Marijuana for specific medical conditions.

The proposed law would:

-Permit physician approved use of marijuana by registered patients with debilitating medical conditions including cancer, glaucoma, HIV, AIDS, hepatitis C, MS and other conditions as may be approved by the Department of Community Health.
-Permit registered individuals to grow limited amounts of marijuana for qualifying patients in an enclosed, locked facility.
-Require Department of Community Health to establish an identification card system for patients qualified to use marijuana and individuals qualified to grow marijuana.
-Permit registered and unregistered patients and primary caregivers to assert medical reasons for using marijuana as a defense to any prosecution involving marijuana.

Should this proposal be adopted?

PASSED

#2 -- Stem Cell Research -

The proposed constitutional amendment would:

-Expand use of human embryos for any research permitted under federal law subject to the following limits:
-the embryos:
-are created for fertility treatment purposes;
-are not suitable for implantation or are in excess of clinical needs;
-would be discarded unless used for research;
-were donated by the person seeking fertility treatment.
-Provide that stem cells cannot be taken from human embryos more than 14 days after cell division begins.
-Prohibit any person from selling or purchasing human embryos for stem cell research.
-Prohibit state and local laws that prevent, restrict or discourage stem cell research, future therapies and cures.

Should this proposal be adopted?

PASSED

(I voted yes for both.)

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
I voted yes for the revision of the Illinois constitution, for state rep Judy Biggert, and for whoever the hell is running against Dick Durbin. I didn't vote for any of my local elections because I have no clue about any of the participants.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Farang
I'm watching WA right-to-die and train props (forget the numbers), here's to hoping both pass and Eyman goes down in flames tonight. I didn't even get to vote this year so if anything loses by 1 I'm pissed.

I voted against both. Morally for I 1000 but against Prop 1 because it's a pile of crap. It was voted down last time and it better be again. No one wants to wait 30 years for for a train and be taxed now for it. Ridiculous. Pierce County Transit Authority are a bunch of idiots and should have their taxing Authority revoked. They have done nothing but study after study costing tax payers millions and have ZERO to show for it.

Who do you think will take the Governor's race? My bets are on Rossi, by a comfortable margin this time. Oddly enough, Obama is helping Rossi.

EDIT: I'm in the 27th LD and I don't expect Fault to take Regala in the senate. Although, no matter how much I hope she loses. She hasn't even campaigned at all. She is so entrenched.

EDIT: Link to my County's results

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
I voted YES on Minnesota's proposition to increase sales tax by 3/8 of one percent for the purposes of environmental protection. It's a minuscule increase and the payoff is well worth it.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
north dakota

prop #1

Creates an oil trust fund, any oil tax revenue over 200 million per biennium goes into a trust fund

prop #2

Cuts personal income tax by 50% and corporate income tax by 15(?)%

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: AstroManLuca
I voted YES on Minnesota's proposition to increase sales tax by 3/8 of one percent for the purposes of environmental protection. It's a minuscule increase and the payoff is well worth it.

What exactly do you get out of that?

rpanic

Golden Member
Dec 1, 2006
Does anyone know of a site that lists election/proposition results live as polls start reporting for CA? Been looking but can't find one.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
hoping against home that Lautenberg loses his senate reelection bid, but I know it's supremely unlikely.

I can't believe we're about to send a guy in his 90's back to the senate for another term; when he dies, we'll end up with yet another unelected representative when the governor appoints his replacement (are other senator is likewise unelected)

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
I think Udall (D) is going to clean house in Colorado. finally Boulder and Denver are going to run the roost. We should sell our suburbs to Kansas.

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
Voted this morning, no wait, no line...

Voted for getting rid of the MA income tax

Voted against making weed a fine

Voted for keeping the dog racing in place in the state

Also voted against Kerry and only wished I could have voted against Frank

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
In Mississippi we got to vote to replace Trent Lott.

Rodger Wicker (R) has been filling in and former governor Ronnie Musgrove (D) is running. It has been a very loud and annoying campaign. Musgrove keeps bringing up that his father died when he was 7, and Wicker keeps calling Musgrove's administration "The Government of North Mississippi".

Louisiana will be interesting as well.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Anyone have a heads up on the prostitution decriminalization in SF?

Need to know if it's vacation time. ;)

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Originally posted by: ZeroIQ

I voted against both. Morally for I 1000 but against Prop 1 because it's a pile of crap. It was voted down last time and it better be again. No one wants to wait 30 years for for a train and be taxed now for it. Ridiculous. Pierce County Transit Authority are a bunch of idiots and should have their taxing Authority revoked. They have done nothing but study after study costing tax payers millions and have ZERO to show for it.

Who do you think will take the Governor's race? My bets are on Rossi, by a comfortable margin this time. Oddly enough, Obama is helping Rossi.

EDIT: I'm in the 27th LD and I don't expect Fault to take Regala in the senate. Although, no matter how much I hope she loses. She hasn't even campaigned at all. She is so entrenched.

I support Prop 1 for two reasons 1) Seattle is going to grow big long term and we need a rail transit system like all other major cities in the world and 2) I'm probably going to be out of state and not paying for it :p As someone from Tacoma I think our area gets screwed big time on the tax-to-benefit ratio of the plan, though. The alternative of just adding a bunch of buses doesn't do it for me. It'll take a long time but if we might as well start now because we will be needing it.

Morally I guess I can't argue with you there on Right-to-Die because that gets nowhere.

I think Gregoire will win. I'm still not really sure who I am for, Rossi means even more gridlock in dealing with transportation with a Democratic legislature but I think I do like him more. The polls I've seen show Gregoire ahead and she is the incumbent so I see her winning by 2 points or so.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Newbian
Anyone have a heads up on the prostitution decriminalization in SF?

Need to know if it's vacation time. ;)

What this man says.

quest55720

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
Originally posted by: AstroManLuca

I voted no this state takes more than enough from me in taxes. The lotto was supposed to fund these environmental projects.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: ZeroIQ

I support Prop 1 for two reasons 1) Seattle is going to grow big long term and we need a rail transit system like all other major cities in the world and 2) I'm probably going to be out of state and not paying for it :p As someone from Tacoma I think our area gets screwed big time on the tax-to-benefit ratio of the plan, though. The alternative of just adding a bunch of buses doesn't do it for me. It'll take a long time but if we might as well start now because we will be needing it.

Morally I guess I can't argue with you there on Right-to-Die because that gets nowhere.

I think Gregoire will win. I'm still not really sure who I am for, Rossi means even more gridlock in dealing with transportation with a Democratic legislature but I think I do like him more. The polls I've seen show Gregoire ahead and she is the incumbent so I see her winning by 2 points or so.

Gregoire has had 4 years to do something about traffic and congestion and she has done nothing. Rossi actually has a comprehensive transportation plan. If Seattle wants a light rail system then Seattle should pay for it, not all of the Puget Sound, especially when it does NOTHING to help congestion. I think the polls are wrong and I predict Rossi wins by 3 points.

Are you in the 25th? Did you vote for Cerqui or Dammeier? I know Cerqui and I've met Dammeier a few times. I'd be happy with either of them in the State House.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
I didn't get to vote, I'm living on Northern California now and had someone forward my absentee ballot but it didn't get here on time. As for the state house I've been mostly out of the country the past 3 years so I don't really follow it.