**Official** Champions Online: Free Play Weekend 10/30 thru 11/02

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ITPaladin

Golden Member
Dec 16, 2003
Originally posted by: SunnyD
I'm the kind of person who doesn't PAY for beta access, particularly after the Stargate Worlds fiasco.

This implies you had to pay for beta access to SGW, which you didn't.

Chronoshock

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
I'm having a lot of fun with this beta. Character creation, animations, ability effects, and progression are all great so far (level 10). I'll be interested in seeing how this gets polished and optimized

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Damn, I really wanted to try this beta out. Are they going to be sending out keys, or would I have to pre-order to try it?

KT

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
Damn, I really wanted to try this beta out. Are they going to be sending out keys, or would I have to pre-order to try it?

KT

I think at this point it's preorder... BUUUUUUT... ygpm.

Phobic9

Golden Member
Apr 6, 2001
Well I finally got to play the game for a bit last night and to be honest, I actually like it. It has a lot of things I normally don't like in an MMO with instancing being my #1 hatred but the game is actually fun. I've been playing Aion as well and so far I'm having a lot more fun with Champions than Aion at the moment. For some reason though I've pre-ordered Aion really don't want to play it anymore (can't get a refund-- yay Steam) while I canceled my Champions preorder yesterday and I actually like it.

As a result, Gamestop sent me another beta key so if anyone wants to try, just send me a PM with your email address and I'll forward it to ya. I'm assuming it'll still work even though I've canceled my preorder. I'm probably going to reorder my preorder though.

Edit: Extra beta key is gone.

Tremulant

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
I started playing the beta last night and I really like it so far. Played for like 4 hours (an hour was spent in char creation just seeing the options) and messed around with all of the travel powers (that was probably another hour right there). Swinging was my favorite.

I like it so far, but my character is only level 5, so we'll see how it turns out once I level up some more.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Phobic9
Well I finally got to play the game for a bit last night and to be honest, I actually like it. It has a lot of things I normally don't like in an MMO with instancing being my #1 hatred but the game is actually fun. I've been playing Aion as well and so far I'm having a lot more fun with Champions than Aion at the moment. For some reason though I've pre-ordered Aion really don't want to play it anymore (can't get a refund-- yay Steam) while I canceled my Champions preorder yesterday and I actually like it.

As a result, Gamestop sent me another beta key so if anyone wants to try, just send me a PM with your email address and I'll forward it to ya. I'm assuming it'll still work even though I've canceled my preorder. I'm probably going to reorder my preorder though.

Thanks dude, you are the man! :beer:

KT

Phobic9

Golden Member
Apr 6, 2001
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
Originally posted by: Phobic9

Thanks dude, you are the man! :beer:

KT

No problem man! Enjoy! :thumbsup:

I'd be interesting in playing with some people from the AT boards. Seems like the reaction here is a little better than the other forums I read.

Chronoshock

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
My account name is Chronoshock. Can you message people without specifying the char name?
As for people looking for a beta key, there was some french website that was giving out 15,000 keys yesterday. That's how I got mine (I didn't preorder). I'm loving the character variation. I created a Diablo lookalike then rushed to finish the tutorial so I could see how he looks w/ fire flight.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: Chronoshock
My account name is Chronoshock. Can you message people without specifying the char name?
As for people looking for a beta key, there was some french website that was giving out 15,000 keys yesterday. That's how I got mine (I didn't preorder). I'm loving the character variation. I created a Diablo lookalike then rushed to finish the tutorial so I could see how he looks w/ fire flight.

Yeah, I'm assuming the global handle system is similar to what CoH used. /tell @GlobalHandle <msg> instead of /tell CharacterName <msg>. If you send it to @GlobalHandle, it should automatically go to whatever character that user is logged in with.

Arglebargle

Dec 2, 2006
Anyone with a spare Beta key, I'd be quite happy to take that weight off your hands...;-)

Especially interested as I was a long time Champions PnP player, with some canon Strike Force alts. I'm especially interested to see how the character building goes, as it was one of the rpg's strengths, one which was replicated in CoH.

Am also interested in seeing how the developers have moved on. Though I do cross my fingers for good luck there.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I played for a bit this morning and it is pretty fun. I think I do not like my character though, so I will probably re-roll shortly and try again.

KT

TheNoblePlatypus

Dec 18, 2001
@captainblarg

Really digging this game so far. Combat system is pretty polished and is a large step in the right direction from City of Heroes. Character creation is decent (about as in depth as CoX is now), I'm sure they'll add more parts for costumes before release though. My only issue is I haven't found anything really challenging in the game yet, then again regeneration might be a little overpowered compared to other passives.

Leveling also seems to be much faster than WoW, hit 18 already and the max is 40. This MMO has potential, as long as it has something worthwhile in the endgame it'll be around for a long time.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
I played CoH for a while and enjoyed it, until Enhancement Dysfunction and some other poor choices ruined it for me. I'd like to test this out to see how it is. Is there any way to get into the "open" beta other than paying for it? I can get a key through FilePlanet if I subscribe for a month at $7. I can get a key if I preorder the game at $50 with no way to return it or cancel if it blows. Any other options?

dfuze

Lifer
Feb 15, 2006
^^ I was wondering the same thing. Not much of an "open" beta if you have to pay for it. I was really looking to try out the game too.

Auryg

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2003
I ordered from Gamestop online and was given the key immediate. I'm planning on cancelling if I don't like it.

GaryJohnson

Jun 2, 2006
Originally posted by: dph1077
^^ I was wondering the same thing. Not much of an "open" beta if you have to pay for it. I was really looking to try out the game too.

Agreed. If you have to pay it is NOT an OPEN beta.

Auryg

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2003
Can't say I'm impressed. Seems like a laggier COH; I honestly see very few differences between the two.