**Official** Champions Online: Free Play Weekend 10/30 thru 11/02

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Miklebud

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2002
Originally posted by: KMFJD
I really enjoyed the game but it got old very quickly...

Agreed. I had fun when playing with my IRL buddies, but once they outleveled me, I got left behind and lost interest.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: Miklebud
Originally posted by: KMFJD
I really enjoyed the game but it got old very quickly...

Agreed. I had fun when playing with my IRL buddies, but once they outleveled me, I got left behind and lost interest.

I find that happens with most any game. Once you get left behind, unless you're the kind of person that likes to solo, basically the game gets boring.

PhatoseAlpha

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2005
Well, the 30 free days that came with the game are up, and I'm not renewing.

Champions Online billed itself as a superhero action MMO. I can accept the growing pains typical of any MMO, but the game has much more fundamental problems. The 'action' element is all but irrelevant. You can't miss with a range power, or be missed by one - even if you get out of it's range after it's shot but before it hits you. So, aiming and dodging, two fundamentals of an action game, don't exist here. Blocking theoretically could've added a decent action element, but it's so horrifically unresponsive as to be useless if you intend to use it in an action game kind of way. Mechanically, CO is just an mmorpg - action not included.

And the superhero portion of it....well, the game is balanced like every other MMORPG out there. IE, to ensure the players advance very slowly and thus keep paying that monthly subscription. This may be OK in WoW or whatever, where you're expecting to be Joe the fighter. Unfortunately, CO was selling me on being a superhero, but the best hero you can make is still roughly equivalent to one of the D-List 'superheros' that Marvel creates simply to make Wolverine look more awesome.

So you're left with a typical MMO in silly costumes, still going through it's 'nerf-a-week' growing pains. It's not impressive at all, and it's just not worth $15 a month to cling to the hope they'll finally decide what they're going to do to make the game worth playing.

Darkrage

Dec 15, 2008
anyone still playing this game? was going to pick it up say it dropped to 39.99 at walmart...then thought maybe its dying?

skulkingghost

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2006
I am playing it and loving it still. I am about to hit level 30 and am excited for the new content on the 27th. I plan on playing till I hit 40, and if I run in tot he endgame stuff people are complaining about. I will just cancel for a bit till new high level content comes out, then I will join up again. I am loving it so far. I have played a ton of MMORPGs and this is my favorite. I find the quests interesting and funny, and enjoy the hell out of a lot of the instances (monster island crisis being by favorite. It is definitely worth playing.

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004
Originally posted by: SunnyD
Wow... you know what? This "review" sounds tragically like every single fucking MMO that exists currently.

That's the main problem with subscription-based games, once you get to level cap, it's done. There's going to be the people that want to play the game, then there's going to be the people that simply want to dominate every single aspect of the game. The problem is, at some point, equilibrium is reached and there literally is nothing left to do, yet you still end up paying $15 every month to do said nothing.

Champions Online is a fine game, and considering the arguments above, it's par for the course.

There has to be a point to your subscription. If the game just ends, then it is just an RPG. Adding an MMO prefix and charging a sub isn't enough. And not all MMO's are like this, some do actually go beyond level caps. I found his review to be exactly what I wanted to know about the game.

If a developer is going to bother making an MMO, they should at least attempt at making a game that offers more than a standard RPG would.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: Malak
Wow... you know what? This "review" sounds tragically like every single fucking MMO that exists currently.

That's the main problem with subscription-based games, once you get to level cap, it's done. There's going to be the people that want to play the game, then there's going to be the people that simply want to dominate every single aspect of the game. The problem is, at some point, equilibrium is reached and there literally is nothing left to do, yet you still end up paying $15 every month to do said nothing.

Champions Online is a fine game, and considering the arguments above, it's par for the course.

There has to be a point to your subscription. If the game just ends, then it is just an RPG. Adding an MMO prefix and charging a sub isn't enough. And not all MMO's are like this, some do actually go beyond level caps. I found his review to be exactly what I wanted to know about the game.

If a developer is going to bother making an MMO, they should at least attempt at making a game that offers more than a standard RPG would.

I know I will hit the level cap in CO "soon". I know I will be out of things to do while waiting for the next content patch, and then I will complete that. The cycle will repeat in perpituity until my current subscription expires. Should my benefactor see too it to renew my subscription, I will hang around. If not, it's off to the next title.

Developers see the purpose of the subscription (aside from a cash cow) as the persistent social interaction. Not the game content or whatnot. They know you're going to get bored, and they know they will lose subs as people finish out current content. If it weren't for the daily interaction, then the sub would cost something nominal per year or a lot less per month. In the end, any MMO is really just an RPG, you end up paying for the persistent and social nature of it.

And this is precisely why I refuse to pay a subscription for a title anymore. I will say that I'm enjoying CO, but the subscription isn't on my dime.

Arglebargle

Dec 2, 2006
Yeah, it must have been obvious to them that Champions Online was not fully baked, but they had a hard release date, and stuck to it, no matter what.

Of course, I really think that most MMOs should be looked at by prospective players only after the first year of release, to see what the game has settled into. Since most games are released too early, that seems roughly to be the point where you can decide whether it really works for you.

I see way too many comments from people who've played the first month of a game and years later will be dissing the game, even though it no longer resembles the product they played. Though I must admit, that's my exact situation ala WoW. ;-)

Everyone I know who got CO has already quit playing. Cryptic better hope that initial outlay for the game floats there boat. At least for a year....

v8envy

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2002
As an Eve player, I have to ask: what is this "level cap" and "endgame content" you speak of?

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: v8envy
As an Eve player, I have to ask: what is this "level cap" and "endgame content" you speak of?

Level cap is the equivalent of trying to train a high multiplier skill to level 5 - you know, the ones that take a third of a year even with the learning skills. Endgame content is... well, you wouldn't know what endgame content is in EVE, simply because there's no content at all in EVE. (Mission system in EVE != "content")

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004
Originally posted by: TheNoblePlatypus
Eve makes up for it by being about as entertaining as a spreadsheet.

Well I find making spreadsheets exciting :|

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004
Originally posted by: v8envy

Level cap is the equivalent of trying to train a high multiplier skill to level 5 - you know, the ones that take a third of a year even with the learning skills. Endgame content is... well, you wouldn't know what endgame content is in EVE, simply because there's no content at all in EVE. (Mission system in EVE != "content")

I didn't do a single mission for 5 years. That's the problem with a lot of people, they immediately go to what they think is expected in an MMO. And in most MMO's, you do quests. In EVE... not so much.

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004
Originally posted by: Arglebargle
Yeah, it must have been obvious to them that Champions Online was not fully baked

To be fair to the publishers, City of Heroes was only half-baked even to this day. I, and I'm sure many others, had hoped that CO would be what CoH never was.

Arglebargle

Dec 2, 2006
Originally posted by: Malak
Originally posted by: Arglebargle
Yeah, it must have been obvious to them that Champions Online was not fully baked

To be fair to the publishers, City of Heroes was only half-baked even to this day. I, and I'm sure many others, had hoped that CO would be what CoH never was.

See, but I really enjoyed CoH. Quite possibly for the exact same reasons you don't like it. ;-)

While I hoped the CO would do well, I was suspicious of the Devs, because of the problems they had had with CoH when they were in charge there. Doesn't appear they learned everything they could from their first try. Still, to do it justice, I may look in on it in a year and see if they've ironed out some of these things.

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
Has the game improved in the eyes of subscribers here since launch? I've kind of gotten the MMO itch and I've been playing lots of superhero games lately. Any words?

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
noticed that they just have free play offer again starting on the 21st of Dec.

*You can play inside the Millennium City crisis. Push back the invading Qularr; work with Defender, Sapphire and Ironclad to save the city; and meet other Champions along the way.
*You can play all the way up to level 15.
*You may create two different characters within our character creator.
*You have unlimited play time. Play as much as you like. To access the full version of Champions Online, purchase the full game from any of these fine retailers.

i guess i'll try it out since i missed it the first time.