***OFFICIAL*** Canadians: Federal Election Thread

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

little elvis

Sep 8, 2005
From the latest polling numbers, it looks like right now we are headed to another Conservative minority government... Since we will be essentially back to the status quo, was this election really necessary and worth the expense? Especially since the Conservatives used a loophole in their own law to call it?

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Originally posted by: little elvis
From the latest polling numbers, it looks like right now we are headed to another Conservative minority government... Since we will be essentially back to the status quo, was this election really necessary and worth the expense? Especially since the Conservatives used a loophole in their own law to call it?

With a new minority mandate, the Conservatives will be free to implement their full agenda by making every initiatives a confidence matter. The opposition will be effectively neutralized, unwilling and scared to trigger another election.

However, once the Liberals get a good leader, all bets are off. Frank McKenna, John Manley, or even Iggy would be huge improvement over Dion and providing that they don't base their new electoral platform on a tax increase, they will have a good chance of forming a majority.

The Conservatives have made too many mistakes over the last two years and now that people are paying more attention, they don't really like what they are seeing. This is probably the reason why the poll are indicating a drop in support for the Conservatives now.

Firebot

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2005
I'd love to see Frank McKenna lead the Liberals, but he doesn't want the stench that's been the Liberal party lately to touch him. He was an excellent premier in New Brunswick. Maybe once the Liberals finally clear the past regime and start fresh (i.e. not recycle garbage like Dion), I'd expect McKenna to accept once the house cleaning is done. He'd get the leadership role very easily much like Harper got it for the Conservatives.

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
Dion, Harper and Layton are flying on the Executive Airbus to a gathering in British Columbia when Dion turns to Harper and says, chuckling,

'You know, I could throw a $1000 bill out the window right now and make someone very happy.'

Harper shrugs and replies, 'Well, I could throw ten $100 bills out the window and make ten people happy.' Not to be outdone, Layton says, 'Well I could throw a hundred $10 bills out the window and make a hundred people happy.'

The pilot rolls his eyes and says to his co-pilot, 'Such arrogant asses back there.

I could throw all three of them out the window and make 32 million people happy.'

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
I've decided I'm voting Green. They get $1.50 or so for every vote they get. As much as the Conservatives are the Anti-Christ of Environmentalism, I will be voting for what I want.

Do most of you realize what goes on in Sarnia, Ontario? Alberta's oil is pumped there, where it is refined, upwind from Toronto. There is also an enormous coal-fired power plant there.

Canada's oil is the dirtiest in the world, and our government subsidizes the industry enormously (along with the big banks).

The Green party is run by educated visionaries who understand that the environment is the economy.

Isn't it ironic that Sarnia and Hamilton are both upwind from the "Greenbelt" here in Ontario?

What has been going on is evil and fueled by corruption. I'm willing to give the Greens a shot.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: SickBeast
I've decided I'm voting Green. They get $1.50 or so for every vote they get. As much as the Conservatives are the Anti-Christ of Environmentalism, I will be voting for what I want.

Do most of you realize what goes on in Sarnia, Ontario? Alberta's oil is pumped there, where it is refined, upwind from Toronto. There is also an enormous coal-fired power plant there.

Canada's oil is the dirtiest in the world, and our government subsidizes the industry enormously (along with the big banks).

The Green party is run by educated visionaries who understand that the environment is the economy.

Isn't it ironic that Sarnia and Hamilton are both upwind from the "Greenbelt" here in Ontario?

What has been going on is evil and fueled by corruption. I'm willing to give the Greens a shot.

I'll call the green party educated when they manage to learn some logic and see that nuclear power is a great option.

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Number1
Originally posted by: dennilfloss
Here's part of the Conservatives platform: trying to pass copyright reform again.

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/s...ech-conservatives.html

The people complaining against bill C-61 are the same type of people that are illegally downloading cracked versions of Spore because they are unhappy that the legal version has DRM.

Or they want to avoid being fined 200k for each song...

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: silverpig

I'll call the green party educated when they manage to learn some logic and see that nuclear power is a great option.

We had a green member at a debate here in London say verbatim "We will tax factories for pollution and bring back more manafacturing jobs to Ontario".

They have no idea

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: RichardE

We had a green member at a debate here in London say verbatim "We will tax factories for pollution and bring back more manafacturing jobs to Ontario".

They have no idea

LOL.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: RichardE

They have no idea
With the 200,000+ jobs that have been lost in Ontario recently, does our current government have any idea or even care?

Do you think that pollution = the economy?

There's such a generation gap here, and potentially an education gap as well.

We don't need pollution to survive. We have had clean technology for years.

Wind power rivals nuclear power when it comes to cost per watt. IMO we would do just fine with a moratorium on building new nuclear power plants and going with wind. Shut down the coal fired plants.

Think of all the factory and engineering jobs involved in creating massive wind farms. The same goes for repairing our road and rail infrastructure.

Nuclear power is great in the sense that it's available all the time, so it can power things like streetlights and hospitals. Really, the last thing that we need is more of it.

Look at Darlington -- they won't release how much the new addition will cost! Why won't they? Architects perform a cost estimate to within 3% before anything is built (typically). Think corruption. These nuclear plants cost more than the SkyDome did by a magnitude of at least 10. My guess is that several palms are being greased quite nicely.

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006

Good article. I fully agree with it:

A Conservative majority serves Canada's needs

National Post Editorial Board: A Conservative majority serves Canada's needs
Posted: October 08, 2008, 9:30 AM by Kelly McParland
Editorial, Full Comment, canadian election

Last month, Stéphane Dion called the upcoming federal election ?among the most important in the history of our country.? He may be right. Next week?s vote will determine whether Canada?s tax system is overhauled through the imposition of a massive levy on carbon-based fuels; the nature of our continuing presence in Afghanistan; and how our government will respond to the historic meltdown unfolding in financial markets. Faced with these high stakes, we believe, Canada would be best served if Stephen Harper?s Conservative government were to receive a second mandate, this time in majority form.

We have no illusions that Mr. Harper?s government has been perfect. It?s decision to tax income trusts, in particular, stands as a bald-faced betrayal of its earlier promise on the issue. Moreover, Mr. Harper did not make any serious attempt to clean up some of the more appalling residue left behind by previous governments -- the gun registry, the gag law, Section 13 of the Human Rights Act. We also have been disillusioned by the Conservatives? continual spending increases, Mr. Harper?s flouting of his own fixed election date, and the petty, partisan spirit that often has pervaded Parliament under the Tories? watch.

But given the huge range of other activities undertaken in the course of leading Canada, it must be said that Mr. Harper has governed the country well overall. He has stuck by Canada?s mission in Afghanistan, provided sound stewardship for the economy (notwithstanding the inevitable buffeting we are now taking thanks to Wall Street?s meltdown), managed the Quebec file well, returned Canada-U.S. relations to their normal level of amity, lowered taxes, and implemented a number of welcome tweaks to our criminal justice system.

Most importantly of all, Mr. Harper has avoided the temptation to impose any large-scale Trudeauvian social-engineering schemes on the country, of the type the Liberals seem to cook up every few years. Yesterday?s Tory platform, largely a rehash of previous announcements, is admirable stingy. It contains no multi-billion-dollar pharmacare program, no federally micromanaged daycare, no new National Energy Program. And for that, Canadians should be thankful.

This brings us to the main reason why we cannot endorse the Liberals. Putting aside Stéphane Dion?s reflexive leftward tilt on everything from foreign affairs to social issues, his ?Green Shift? carbon-tax scheme is, by itself, enough to persuade us that he is the wrong man to be running this country. As our banking and financial-services sectors become strained by the worldwide credit crunch, this country is increasingly dependant on our oil and gas sector to sustain us through rough waters. Yet these are exactly the industries Mr. Dion wants to soak.

We also are not impressed by Mr. Dion?s plan -- and general attitude -- in regard to Canada?s economic challenges. In recent days, he truly has sounded like a hysteric, trying to convince Canadians that our relatively sound economy is on the brink of a cataclysmic depression. There is no evidence of this: Indeed, the latest economic numbers on jobs and growth are excellent. And as a stack of reports from our major banks attest, the fundamentals of our real estate market bear no comparison to America?s sub-prime mess. Indeed, the only thing that could tip this country into full-blown depression is wide-scale investor panic of the type Mr. Dion seems intent on fomenting.

Nor are we impressed with Mr. Dion?s grandly announced economic plan -- which is not a plan at all, but rather a pledge to consult with the country?s leading economists, and do as they say. Consultation of this nature is something that Mr. Harper?s government -- like all governments -- does on a regular basis. The former professor?s take on this issue seems to betray a basic ignorance of how government works, not to mention a disturbing penchant for outsourcing his own leadership.
In this regard, we are reminded of Mr. Dion?s handling of former Winnipeg-area Liberal candidate Lesley Hughes, who advocated the bizarre and hateful notion that the U.S. and Israeli governments were in on the 9/11 attacks. Rather than act on principle and sack her at once, Mr. Dion initially announced that he had referred the issue to an ethnic lobby group -- the Canadian Jewish Congress ? and would do as they instructed. It was a small but stunning abdication of true leadership, and a microcosm for why most Canadians, including members of this editorial board, don?t believe he has the right stuff to lead a country.
As for the three other parties, fairly obvious deficiencies prevent us from endorsing them:
? The Bloc Québécois seeks to break up the country ? and is immediately disqualified on that basis.
? The Greens have an energetic leader in Elizabeth May. But she has already endorsed Mr. Dion for prime minister. Given that much of her party?s platform is similar, if not identical, to Mr. Dion?s, her Green party essentially resembles nothing more than an off-label Liberal subsidiary.
? The NDP have made a strong push in this campaign. And when this editorial board recently sat down with Jack Layton, we saw why: The NDP leader is a charismatic, articulate spokesman for Canadian unions and affiliated leftists. But his prescription for Canada -- an increased tax load on corporations -- is precisely wrong. We are also disturbed by his party?s? tolerance for a Quebec candidate with links to Islamists, and a B.C. candidate with Lesley Hughes-like ideas about the 9/11 attacks.
Like all elections, this one presents Canadians with a choice between imperfect options. But on balance, the Conservatives are clearly the best choice for this country. We urge our readers to vote accordingly on Oct. 14.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
With the 200,000+ jobs that have been lost in Ontario recently, does our current government have any idea or even care?

This is exactly why instituting heavy taxes on this industry will make it worse. The industry is already getting hit hard, and not by anything this government has done. It's getting hit by the economic fallout in the US. Taxing them more will mean more jobs will be lost as they won't be able to afford to pay workers.

Pollution does not equal the economy, but in some sectors it does. Forcing a company like RIM to pollute less means they just change over some light bulbs, install some new windows and maybe give some people subsidized bus passes. Heavy manufacturing companies have to spend millions to revamp their factories. A better way to go is to offer INCENTIVES to pollute less, rather than charging them money. If you tax a company that pollutes, they won't have the capital around to pay for changes. They'll continue to pollute, but will be less productive at the same time.

Wind power rivals nuclear power when it comes to cost per watt. IMO we would do just fine with a moratorium on building new nuclear power plants and going with wind. Shut down the coal fired plants.

Think of all the factory and engineering jobs involved in creating massive wind farms. The same goes for repairing our road and rail infrastructure.

I agree, wind power is a great option for Canada to start building on. However a GOOD wind farm can't be built tomorrow. The first step is to use a computer simulation to find the best wind spots in the country. The second step is to put up wind monitoring stations at those spots to measure the wind 300 feet above the ground over the course of several years. The third step is to actually build the farms.

It'd be great for Canada to have more wind companies, and it'd be great if the government offered subsidies to those companies.

One of the major advantages of nuclear over wind is that you can put a plant anywhere. You can build a nuclear plant on the outskirts of a city and have a short run of wires to connect it to the grid. A lot of the best wind sites are bound to be 200+ km away from a grid tie in point, and often (at least here in BC) those 200 km are heavily forested mountainous land.

Nuclear power is great in the sense that it's available all the time, so it can power things like streetlights and hospitals. Really, the last thing that we need is more of it.

Look at Darlington -- they won't release how much the new addition will cost! Why won't they? Architects perform a cost estimate to within 3% before anything is built (typically). Think corruption. These nuclear plants cost more than the SkyDome did by a magnitude of at least 10. My guess is that several palms are being greased quite nicely.

They won't release how much it will cost because it's unpredictable. There are a lot of condo towers going up here in Vancouver which are facing cost overruns because the cost of construction materials and labour is skyrocketing. It has nothing to do with mismanagement as fairly generous allowances for those type of things are always incorporated, but when prices of metals go up not by percentages but by multiples, those estimates go off very quickly.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Silverpig:

Construction cost is not all that unpredictable. A good Estimator can consistently come within 3%. Nothing is built without at least a rough takeoff estimate to within 25%.

Perhaps I can lobby my MP to disclose the cost through Access to Information. Does anyone here know how to do that?

Who are you voting for?

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Silverpig:

Construction cost is not all that unpredictable. A good Estimator can consistently come within 3%. Nothing is built without at least a rough takeoff estimate to within 25%.

Perhaps I can lobby my MP to disclose the cost through Access to Information. Does anyone here know how to do that?

Who are you voting for?

Tell that to all the condo builders here. Costs for some things have jumped much more than 25%. There are many projects in this city alone that are having to go to buyers for more up front money in order to continue with the project. It's a real problem that the industry is facing. Heck, copper wiring alone is going insane.

You can always email (or snail mail) your MP's constituency office.

I'm still undecided as to who I'm voting for. I started out against the Conservatives, leaning Green and on the fence with the Liberals, but as I talk about this more with people I seem to be attacking the Greens and Liberals and defending the Conservatives... *shrug*

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Silverpig:

Who are you voting for?

Tell that to all the condo builders here. Costs for some things have jumped much more than 25%. There are many projects in this city alone that are having to go to buyers for more up front money in order to continue with the project. It's a real problem that the industry is facing. Heck, copper wiring alone is going insane.

I'm still undecided as to who I'm voting for. I started out against the Conservatives, leaning Green and on the fence with the Liberals, but as I talk about this more with people I seem to be attacking the Greens and Liberals and defending the Conservatives... *shrug*
In our current economy, materials are very cheap, and labour is quite expensive.

Not only that, but knowledgeable people within the industry have known about the "card house" economy down in the states for years now.

The price of steel is being driven up by what is going on right now in China.

Why on earth are you defending the Conservatives? When I was in Vancouver people seemed more enlightened than that. In a province as beautiful as BC, you really should be protecting the natural splendor which surrounds you. It's too late for Ontario at this point unfortunately. We live in a pollution cesspool (at least in many of the more populated areas).

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005

This is exactly why instituting heavy taxes on this industry will make it worse. The industry is already getting hit hard, and not by anything this government has done. It's getting hit by the economic fallout in the US. Taxing them more will mean more jobs will be lost as they won't be able to afford to pay workers.

Pollution does not equal the economy, but in some sectors it does. Forcing a company like RIM to pollute less means they just change over some light bulbs, install some new windows and maybe give some people subsidized bus passes. Heavy manufacturing companies have to spend millions to revamp their factories. A better way to go is to offer INCENTIVES to pollute less, rather than charging them money. If you tax a company that pollutes, they won't have the capital around to pay for changes. They'll continue to pollute, but will be less productive at the same time.

I agree, wind power is a great option for Canada to start building on. However a GOOD wind farm can't be built tomorrow. The first step is to use a computer simulation to find the best wind spots in the country. The second step is to put up wind monitoring stations at those spots to measure the wind 300 feet above the ground over the course of several years. The third step is to actually build the farms.

It'd be great for Canada to have more wind companies, and it'd be great if the government offered subsidies to those companies.

One of the major advantages of nuclear over wind is that you can put a plant anywhere. You can build a nuclear plant on the outskirts of a city and have a short run of wires to connect it to the grid. A lot of the best wind sites are bound to be 200+ km away from a grid tie in point, and often (at least here in BC) those 200 km are heavily forested mountainous land.

They won't release how much it will cost because it's unpredictable. There are a lot of condo towers going up here in Vancouver which are facing cost overruns because the cost of construction materials and labour is skyrocketing. It has nothing to do with mismanagement as fairly generous allowances for those type of things are always incorporated, but when prices of metals go up not by percentages but by multiples, those estimates go off very quickly.

The problem with the "lower taxes inititives" is they do not work all the time. Companies can build in some states that have taxes we won't ever be able to hit. Though I think a first step in bringing jobs back would be to actually tell the world you are a good place to invest, rather than tell them "Don't invest in Ontario" as the conservatives did.

Not to mention, the problem with the conservatives "green" platform is it follows an american type style, where the implementation is slow, is an old way (meaning it costs companies more in the end to actually implement) and does nothing for the average citizen besides lower pollution in there area (which is great but these plans can be modified to be so much more than a simple polution reduction).

Another awsome debate quote from London at Fanshawe College was the conservatie guy saying verbatim, as he sat beside the green party member (the one who said the last quote) "We are obviously the most green party, the friendliest green party in Canada and Canadians know this."

This was the same guy who two years ago answered to a question regarding student violence that "Students just want free beer at parties, they don't care who gets hurt"

Obviously, on a national stage Harper would never say these comments, but I think it shows the mentality and the disasociation with reality that party has.

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
I hope the Conservatives lose, because of the stupidity of the copyright law they've been trying to implement.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Silverpig:

Who are you voting for?

In our current economy, materials are very cheap, and labour is quite expensive.

Not only that, but knowledgeable people within the industry have known about the "card house" economy down in the states for years now.

Why on earth are you defending the Conservatives? When I was in Vancouver people seemed more enlightened than that. In a province as beautiful as BC, you really should be protecting the natural splendor which surrounds you. It's too late for Ontario at this point unfortunately. We live in a pollution cesspool (at least in many of the more populated areas).

Wages here aren't the thing stopping these condos from being built, it's all materials costs which have skyrocketed. Steel is one, copper is another.

I'm not defending the Conservatives. We're talking construction costs here. I do know that slapping heavy taxes on big business and industry and giving the low income people enough money that it's better for them to stay home than to go to work is a sure-fire way to tank the economy.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Silverpig:

Who are you voting for?

Wages here aren't the thing stopping these condos from being built, it's all materials costs which have skyrocketed. Steel is one, copper is another.

I'm not defending the Conservatives. We're talking construction costs here. I do know that slapping heavy taxes on big business and industry and giving the low income people enough money that it's better for them to stay home than to go to work is a sure-fire way to tank the economy.
People within the industry have known that the price of steel has been skyrocketing because of the boom in China for years.

If the builders don't have qualified Estimators, sorry, but that's their problem.

Why do they not just purchase what they need early on? It's not like the steel structure of a building takes up that much space in terms of volume.

We have been having problems with shady builders here in Toronto for a long time. Constant delays, and constant demands for more money up front. It comes down to greed. They earn interest off the money they take in while the people trying to move in are stuck renting.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Firebot
paired with the fact that I have seen Toronto de-generate during their time in power (and I feel that our health and education systems are underfunded and poorly run in several ways).

Harper or the federal government has no control over cities, that is the municipal level and to some extent the provincial level. Thank your socialist and old NPD card carrrying friend David Miller for Toronto's freefall. Apparently Miller wants to tax water bottles and coffee cups now lol. If Harper was at fault, other neighbouring cities would also have harsh economic and budget problems, but Mississauga has been Toronto's neighbour and is still debt free due to a responsible mayor by the name of Hazel Mcallion.
I do like and appreciate Hazel McAllion and I think that she has been a wonderful mayor for Mississauga for a very long time.

Miller is a complete idiot. It does not have to do with his political stripes. He is an incompetent mayor.

Lastman was Conservative, and built us a useless subway line along Sheppard. Why were those Eglinton tunnels filled in again? Why did they not connect the Spadina line to the Yonge line as it has been done in other cities with good subway systems (like Paris)?

We have had a string of fools in our local government here in Toronto, and the amalgamation of the suburbs was asinine.

The feds need to pony up some cash to properly fix our transit infrastructure and to alleviate the environmental issues that are killing people by the thousands every year. IMO they should bypass the local government to do so if possible. Beyond that, Toronto needs an aesthetic council, similar to that of Vancouver.