***OFFICIAL*** Canadians: Federal Election Thread

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
The french debate is on tonight. It will be interesting to see how Harper handles the inevitable questions on the arts funding cuts and the youth sentencing, two issues that touched a nerve in Quebec.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
I was in the gym and saw the debate... it was CCd in english so I got to read it (it was french wasn't it?).

It mostly seemed like a gang up on Harper. Layton, Dion, and Duceppe all spoke of how well they thought they could work together and that Harper needed replacing. Harper didn't get much chance to respond to anything.

Firebot

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2005
Originally posted by: silverpig
I was in the gym and saw the debate... it was CCd in english so I got to read it (it was french wasn't it?).

It mostly seemed like a gang up on Harper. Layton, Dion, and Duceppe all spoke of how well they thought they could work together and that Harper needed replacing. Harper didn't get much chance to respond to anything.

It's to be expected. Harper isn't going to beat Dion and Duceppe in a French debate. He speaks well enough, but it's hard to debate when when you have to think about how you need to pronounce what you want to say.

Firebot

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2005
Originally posted by: RichardE
More Proof Harper is nothing but a Neo-Con wannabe

Just in case some of those forget when Harper got his "Sell Iraq to your country" package and used it to push Canada to war.

First, Canada never went to Iraq so the point is moot (heck, Chretien sent the troops to Afghanistan shortly after as a way of saying Canada does support the US even if we don't want to get involved with Iraq), and the Conservative party at the time had nothing to lose since the Liberals had a majority at the time anyways. Their job as the opposition party is to oppose the governing party. 4 sentences out of 97 sentences were plagiarized in 2003. Harper did not write or have a part in the plagiarism, it's a speech-writer's error in judgment that chose to be lazy. When this is the best attack that can be brought up by the Liberals, you know things are going well for the Conservatives.

Second, this ad and the plagiarism accusations by the Liberals including the ad has already backfired badly on Dion and the Liberals, when it was pointed out that the Green Shift platform webpage was plagiarized word for word from the Suzuki Foundation's own paper in 2006, without referencing him. Dion's staff has since removed the plagiarized work, but the irony remains, and the attack falls flat when compared to Dion's own plagiarized work. Even the NDP has already pounced on the gaffe, saying the ad itself is also directly plagiarized from one of the NDP's own 2004 campaign ad.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
I was watching the debates and I was amazed at how amateurish it was. It was like there were several Palins in the debate. It was surreal.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Not being fluent in French I only watched bits and pieces, but it was kind of hilarious anyways. Every time I switched over the camera was on Prime Minister Harper and his body language would make me laugh. He seemed to be constantly surpressing the urge to sigh and ask, "Are you finished yammering yet, children?" Poor guy took the entire brunt of that debate.

Anyhoo, how about a little discussion of two of the major debate points from last night, youth sentences and arts funding?

Mr. Harper's challenge last night was to dispel the notion promoted by critics in Quebec that he is a right-wing ideologue eager to lock up 14-year-old criminals and cut arts funding to the bone. He remained calm in the face of repeated attacks but displayed little passion.

Youth Sentencing

In the debate, this was definitely the most annoying topic that came up. Mr. Layton took a really dishonest tack and accused Prime Minister Harper of wanting to lock up 12 and 14-year-olds with adult inmates ("at the criminal university"). That's patently untrue and he knew it, but said it anyways. Guess that's politics for you.

A thought-provoking item Mr. Layton did bring up: Judges already have the option of harsher sentences for youths. But is leaving that decision to judges proper? I'm eternally skeptical of government, and would much prefer that decisions like this be made by people I can elect and un-elect as necessary (Parliament) rather than having those who are appointed for life and will never have to answer to us (judges) do so.

Arts Funding

I don't really know much about this issue, but outside of possibly Quebec I don't really see this making anyone change the way they may vote.

I do think that funding for the arts should be considered more of an investment than a donation - they're an important piece of the mental makeup of any country. That said, how many millions can you spare for arts funding when Ontario is on the verge of going into the red for the first time?

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
The debate is on right now. The opposition leaders all sound like chihuahua nipping at Harper. LOL.

Firebot

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Number1
The debate is on right now. The opposition leaders all sound like chihuahua nipping at Harper. LOL.

I think parties like the NDP are realizing they will lose almost all their power if Harper were to get a majority which is becoming increasingly likely, so he's putting much more attention to Harper then Dion. The NDP only has some clout in a minority government. All 4 other leaders are going straight to Harper and not even trying to talk to each other lol. The irony is that basically Harper while on the defensive is really the only one who's actually pointing out his platform in detail. I love it.

You know when a party is irrelevant when they aren't forced to defend their platform even once (i.e. Green Party). I always like Duceppe and Layton in these debates though.

Firebot

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2005
Duceppe paraphrased on the question about what would he do first if he were to become PM: Well first I know I'll never be prime minister and can admit to it, unlike another select 3 in this group who knows they aren't going to become prime minister but are still acting like they can.

That's why I love Duceppe:D.

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Jack got a good jab to Dion's chin when he told him "you can't even run the opposition party so what are you doing trying to be Prime Minister". LOL

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
At times the piling on Harper seemed a little out of hand, but overall all the candidates answered questions and divulged Policy. Pretty good debate. Still trying to decide though.

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
Gawd May couldn't help herself from interrupting, I still feel having her there was valueless
Layton's always a good attack dog but thats all can ever hope to be, Duceppe can carry the big attitude cause thats all the block is, aparty devoted to the destruction of Canada, funny at times tho.
Dion mangles English so badly its distrating even when he does have something good to say, Harper seemed uncharcteristicly discheveled I thought he wanted to take a swing at Dion when he was treading in personal attack area

imported_Champ

Golden Member
Mar 25, 2008
may was pissing me off for the entire debate...she just kept making stupid comments while harper was talking...she was completely off base with the un quip...if i was harper i would just turn to her to say "some of us actually won seats to be here"

Layton was funny, definatly when he randomly turned against dion...its was prtty funny overall but I think they are gonna lose points, although harper seemed slightly frustrated he was still able to keep his cool.

Duceppe was just entertaining, if he wasn't a seperatist he would probably get more votes from that

Dion...i dont think there is anything to say...he lost points, even with his puppet may in there he still went down

Harper should gain but not as much as the NDP...but he kept his cool better then anyone else

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006

The only guaranty in voting for the Liberals this year is an IMMEDIATE tax increase on gas and home heating oil. They promise a PARTIAL tax refund but once the Liberals got our money, well, priorities change and other programs will need to be funded. We will never see a tax refund. And look, the Lieberals are already admitting they will be short 12 B to implement all their promises.

http://www.thestar.com/FederalElection/article/504838

Once the Liberals got YOUR money, THEY decide how it will be spent. I don't trust them.

I would rather decide MYSELF how I spend my money.

Vote CPC

Firebot

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2005

The only guaranty in voting for the Liberals this year is an IMMEDIATE tax increase on gas and home heating oil. They promise a PARTIAL tax refund but once the Liberals got our money, well, priorities change and other programs will need to be funded. We will never see a tax refund. And look, the Lieberals are already admitting they will be short 12 B to implement all their promises.

Once the Liberals got YOUR money, THEY decide how it will be spent. I don't trust them.

Vote CPC

LOL I love the spin the Liberals are putting on their own failure to propose a balanced platform.

BURNABY, B.C.?A Liberal government would be hard-pressed to quickly implement its big-ticket campaign promises because Conservatives have spent like "drunken sailors," leaving little left in the federal coffers, a key party official says.

In a private briefing this week to party insiders, Liberal John McCallum, a former cabinet minister and bank economist, admitted the party's ambitious $15 billion agenda would be slowed by the lack of cash.

"Because we have relatively little money, because the Conservatives have emptied the bank account to a large degree and because the economy is weak, some of our initiatives will have to be phased in slower than we had originally planned," said McCallum, the incumbent in Markham-Unionville.

Yeah, let's blame the Conservatives for putting implementating a budget plan that built a small surplus and say they are 'spending like a drunker sailor', blaming them as the reason why the Liberal can't spend an extra 15 billion dollars for their own pet projects if they were to be put in power. The Conservatives are always up to no good and destroying Canada!

I love this part the best

In an interview, McCallum accused the Conservatives of using tax cuts to deliberately drain the coffers and prevent future governments from enacting ambitious programs.

"I think the Conservatives are anti-government. I think their philosophy is cut taxes ... and then deprive us of room to do Liberal things," McCallum said yesterday.

"If we come to power, they will have so emptied the treasury that we will be constrained."

Darn those conservatives and their evil tax cuts. Elect the Liberals and they'll make sure to tax enough to get all the pet projects in place. Please vote for them.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Firebot

Vote CPC

LOL I love the spin the Liberals are putting on their own failure to propose a balanced platform.

BURNABY, B.C.?A Liberal government would be hard-pressed to quickly implement its big-ticket campaign promises because Conservatives have spent like "drunken sailors," leaving little left in the federal coffers, a key party official says.

In a private briefing this week to party insiders, Liberal John McCallum, a former cabinet minister and bank economist, admitted the party's ambitious $15 billion agenda would be slowed by the lack of cash.

"Because we have relatively little money, because the Conservatives have emptied the bank account to a large degree and because the economy is weak, some of our initiatives will have to be phased in slower than we had originally planned," said McCallum, the incumbent in Markham-Unionville.

Yeah, let's blame the Conservatives for putting implementating a budget plan that built a small surplus and say they are 'spending like a drunker sailor', blaming them as the reason why the Liberal can't spend an extra 15 billion dollars for their own pet projects if they were to be put in power. The Conservatives are always up to no good and destroying Canada!

I love this part the best

In an interview, McCallum accused the Conservatives of using tax cuts to deliberately drain the coffers and prevent future governments from enacting ambitious programs.

"I think the Conservatives are anti-government. I think their philosophy is cut taxes ... and then deprive us of room to do Liberal things," McCallum said yesterday.

"If we come to power, they will have so emptied the treasury that we will be constrained."

Darn those conservatives and their evil tax cuts. Elect the Liberals and they'll make sure to tax enough to get all the pet projects in place. Please vote for them.

Umm, they have been spending a lot. I wonder when the Conservatives will put forth a Plan. I suspect it too will be slowed due to Economic Issues.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000

lol, that's some special logic. Considering that a "government budget surplus" actually translates to "overtaxation of the people" it's pretty amazing that we have here somebody telling us that this is a bad thing.

Firebot

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2005
Originally posted by: sandorski
Umm, they have been spending a lot. I wonder when the Conservatives will put forth a Plan. I suspect it too will be slowed due to Economic Issues.

The Conservatives are well within their budget, and that's despite the slowing economy which was accounted for. Canada is running a 3 billion dollar budget surplus in the first 4 months of the fiscal year already. The Liberals plans cannot work with a slowing economy, and with the recent tax cuts the Liberals are whining that they can't spend as much as they wish if they were to be put in office. So they blame the Conservatives of course.

The Conservatives already have a plan. They've been running it since office and has no reason to change it or make empty promises to buy votes.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: sandorski

The Conservatives are well within their budget, and that's despite the slowing economy which was accounted for. Canada is running a 3 billion dollar budget surplus in the first 4 months of the fiscal year already. The Liberals plans cannot work with a slowing economy, and with the recent tax cuts the Liberals are whining that they can't spend as much as they wish if they were to be put in office. So they blame the Conservatives of course.

The Conservatives already have a plan. They've been running it since office and has no reason to change it or make empty promises to buy votes.

We're still waiting for the Conservatives Plan. Supposedly this Election was called because the Conservatives wanted a new Mandate as their previous one had been completed. I would have expected some kind of Proposals to come out so that we can know what they desire to do with the new Mandate.

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
Conservatives release their platform tomorrow.
I think it's quite reasonable to focus current spending in areas with greatest return for tax payers and reduce spending on nice to haves and giving back to taxpayers in tougher economic times.
Last thing we need is more uncertainty, the markets do not like change or unknowns as it requires resources to adapt to regulatory changes.
Some capital investment incentives for manufacturing, income tax reductions based on lower interest costs from reducing the debt, and perhaps some reform of the EI system is the only thing I am looking for at this point.