Official Avail. Nov 13th - Android 4.2 - LG Nexus 4 - Asus Nexus 7 - Samsung Nexus 10

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices & Gadgets' started by basslover1, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy Senior member

Can it read a USB stick without being rooted?

2. Eug

Eug Lifer

3. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy Senior member

4. lopri

lopri Elite Member

Most apps that I know require root access. (Stickmount, USB OTG Helper, Paragon, etc. I use Stickmount) But if I recall correctly there is this one app called "Nexus Media Importer Free" that lets you view music/pictures/videos off of USB sticks without root access. I've just checked the Play store and the free version disappeared and only paid one remains. You may want to try different market and find the free version at least to find out if it works with your device.

Edit: It looks like some HDD manufacturers make apps (no root required) for their disks.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.seagate.goflexsatellite&feature=related_apps

Edit 2: Oh, never mind. That thing is Wi-Fi, not USB.

#1754 lopri, Dec 31, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  5. Eug

Eug Lifer

Which device? Nexus Media Importer most definitely works with the Nexus 7. It's flaky with some other devices, but quite often that's a problem with those devices. This is especially true with some phones that don't provide enough power to the USB ports. ie. The app works, but the attached USB flash drive may not work reliably for video streaming because the phone can't supply sufficient power the the USB port.

6. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy Senior member

Was talking about Nexus 7. $3 is nothing. It's more complicated that I have to go out and buy a cable first...

7. lopri

lopri Elite Member

8. Eug

Eug Lifer

I would suggest buying two or three cables from different sources. Those online sales items are really hit and miss. Mind you, all three cables I bought off eBay work fine with the Nexus 7.

Note that you can get straight cables, right angled ones, and left angled ones. You can even get a swivel adapter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. lopri

lopri Elite Member

Eug, what kind of adapter is it in the last pic? That looks neat without a cable dangling.

10. Eug

Eug Lifer

It's a swivel adapter, but not only does it swivel, it can fold 180 degrees. The last two pix are the same adapter.

[​IMG]

Yeah, it's nice that it can fold out of the way, but we wouldn't have to deal with all this nonsense if the Nexus 7 only had a microSD port. Or if I had just waited a couple of months, I could have gotten the 32 GB model. Damn Google. :mad:

11. slightlyhuman

well got one friday, the other comes in today.

12. TuxDave

TuxDave Lifer

My cousin just showed me his n4 that just arrived. Nice device but he was disappointed with the battery life. He said he got 10hrs on the first charge. However once he disabled NFC his battery life dramatically improved. He didn't find the feature useful at all and so it was no loss to him. But if anyone else is also seeing craptacular battery life, you may want to try it again with NFC disabled.

13. slightlyhuman

got a question... how long until bigger batteries come out on the newest google phone? i opened one of them and am thinking about keeping one now=p

14. zerocool84

zerocool84 Lifer

Sealed battery

15. VashHT

VashHT Platinum Member

It's sealed but that isn't stopping anyone from releasing a 3rd party battery and back plate. I don't know if anyone will make one but it is possible.

16. Fire&Blood

Fire&Blood Platinum Member

Unlikely to see one and yes, it's only 2 T5 screws to get to the battery but there is a lot of adhesive so to pry it out takes considerable force, increasing the risk of damaging other components.

Another aftermarket part we likely won't get is a battery cover that serves as a flip cover ala sgs3, I would buy it instantly.

17. thecapsaicinkid

thecapsaicinkid Senior member

There's a bug causing excessive battery drain on the Nexus 4 relating to wakelocks that has supposedly been fixed and awaiting release.

18. slightlyhuman

damn it! went to put my sim card in the n4. requires a smaller sim card making me go to ATT sometime this weekend.

damn it, not what i wanted to do, always a nightmare.

19. basslover1

basslover1 Golden Member

Source?

20. BenSkywalker

BenSkywalker Elite Member

21. zerocool84

zerocool84 Lifer

That makes sense because I have the Optimus G and it has great standby battery life so it's definitely a software issue.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. thecapsaicinkid

23. slightlyhuman

cannot for the life of me get the n4 to connect to my works wifi. i've typed the password in and been on wifi all day with my Gnex.

wtf? just saying authenticating for a few minutes then eventually authentication problem.

any one else have this problem?

24. thecapsaicinkid

Just downloaded Better Battery Stats and it seems Spotify is keeping my nexus awake even when not playing music. Is my only option Forcing Quit on the app to kill it when I'm not using it? Someone mentioned using the back button to leave the app kills it but this isn't the case.

25. makken

makken Golden Member

Anyone else getting a display artifact while scrolling in chrome?

I get a flickering 1px tall horizontal line sometimes when I scroll. It'll stop flickering and remain static when I stop scrolling:

[​IMG]

The fact that I was able to capture it on screenshot leads me to believe its not purely a display problem