Official Avail. Nov 13th - Android 4.2 - LG Nexus 4 - Asus Nexus 7 - Samsung Nexus 10

Page 65 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Actually, it's set up right. I had to call ST to get them to do something to get data working. Now, I'm only getting 7 kbps down and 79 kbps up. And the closest server I can connect to Speedtest is in Carmel, IN. I'm in MA.
WTF

Post your APN settings. I bet you have a proxy set (not the mms proxy, but the data proxy).

I could be wrong, but I've now set up two of these, and the proxy kills data performance.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Post your APN settings. I bet you have a proxy set (not the mms proxy, but the data proxy).

I could be wrong, but I've now set up two of these, and the proxy kills data performance.

Can you tell me what APN settings you used? I've seen several different suggestions.

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Can you tell me what APN settings you used? I've seen several different suggestions.

Sure, these are for Straight Talk using the AT&T network. If you're on ST using T-Mobile (you'll know by which SIM you ordered), the settings are different.

I'm going to list out everything. <none> literally means no setting or "Not Set" depending on the Android version. Basically, don't put anything in for those.

Important: After you create the APN and save it, make sure it's the selected APN on the screen that shows you all APNs on your phone. The dot needs to be in the circle.

Name: att.mvno
APN: att.mvno
Proxy: <none>
Port: <none>
Username: <none>
Password: <none>
Server: <none>
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS Proxy: 66.209.11.33
MMS Port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Auth Type: <none>
APN Type: default,supl,mms,hipri
APN Protocol: IPv4
APN Roaming Protocol: IPv4
Bearer: <none>

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Thanks. Quick question, can you have multiple APN settings stored, but just switch to the ones you need? For example, if you were trying both ATT and T-Mobile, I could have APN settings for both but just make the one I need as default?

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

I originally set-up two APNs based on this link http://wirevalley.com/ultimate-apn-settings-for-straight-talk-with-android/ but couldn't get data and switched it back to the settings from the ST sim card booklet as suggested by ST CS.

Name: Straight Talk
Proxy: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com
Port: 80
APN Type: <none>

Using the settings that you posted, I've now connected to a NY, IN and now Boston server getting 1759 kbps down and 588 kbps up. Thanks, much better. But looking other folks numbers, my still aren't very good. Is it b/c I'm on AT&T and not Tmobile?

My old iPhone on 3G is connecting to Boston and getting 1504 kbps down and 53 kbps up.

Last edited:

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
I originally set-up two APNs based on this link http://wirevalley.com/ultimate-apn-settings-for-straight-talk-with-android/ but couldn't get data and switched it back to the settings from the ST sim card booklet as suggested by ST CS.

Using the settings that you posted, I've now connected to a NY, IN and now Boston server getting 1759 kbps down and 588 kbps up. Thanks, much better. But looking other folks numbers, my still aren't very good. Is it b/c I'm on AT&T and not Tmobile?

My old iPhone on 3G is connecting to Boston and getting 1504 kbps down and 53 kbps up.

Your speeds are pretty much what you'd get if you were on AT&T, most likely. I actually switched from post-paid ATT to Straight Talk and the speeds were roughly the same once I ditched the proxy. You might be able to do better with T-Mobile in your area, but there's no easy way to find out if you don't have access to a T-Mobile activated phone. If you do, try it out and see what speeds you get. Then you might consider going to a T-Mobile prepaid plan or getting the ST T-Mobile SIM and porting your # to it.

T-Mobile's own coverage map shows my neighborhood as being in a 2G (EDGE) coverage area, so while I have a TM SIM to do the swap trick to set up my wife's iPhone on ST, I haven't had the urge to activate it for the day and test speeds.

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Thanks. Quick question, can you have multiple APN settings stored, but just switch to the ones you need? For example, if you were trying both ATT and T-Mobile, I could have APN settings for both but just make the one I need as default?

Yup, you can do that. Depending on your ROM, you might already have one pre-configured and just not see it because you don't have the TM SIM in there.

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000

Change that to this and see what you get.
Proxy: <none>
Port: <none>

I've been using Straight Talk for over a year now...No proxy needed.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Anyone get the SlimPort HDMI adapter for the Nexus 4? Not working with my TV. It detects a signal but display is just black. Phone even goes into landscape view.

I was hoping this would work as I do not like the HDMI implementation of the Nexus 10 (soft buttons don't go away, they just "minimize" into the three small dots).

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
The best way to try tmobile is to go to a store and have them sign you up for a $3/day plan. Then put $3 in your account.

Sid59

Lifer
Sep 2, 2002
the last 2 days was a roll of the dice to get a ATT online rep and store to do exactly what i needed to get it good HSPA+ with ATT. There's a huge XDA forum and a AndroidCentral forum posts about some of the pains.

From experience:
Got a new new, free MicroSim from ATT
- default everything, everything worked but i noticed slower data speeds from my Motorola Atrix 2
- SpeedTest app was picking servers in the mid-west, i'm in the SF Bay Area. Terrible ping and download test would time out
- noticed data was bouncing between HSPA:10 when idle and HSPA:15 with data transmitting - which is correct for 4G but again speeds were slow but i couldn't prove it without SpeedTest. Ended up trying out dslreports.com webpage

Browsed through XDA/Android forums and thought i'd give a new APN a shot, what' to lose.
- new APN, could run SpeedTest with the correct bay area server, speeds were slow but since i was at work, no way to really tell. Webpages or anything access the internet was lagging, like a noticeable pause before any activity kicked in. Went back to default APN.

Went to the ATT Store and try to get them to provision my data to 4G unlimited, even brought in my old Atrix 2 in case they needed the IMEI. After some battle and escalation not much they could do, the guy tried to get me into an unlimited LTE data, even if LTE wasn't present in the phone, it'd drop me to HSPA+ vs 3G on my provision data. He suggested i contact online care to add LTE.

Just right now .. i contacted online care and asked them to add a SOCK Code for LTE to my data, so i can access .. they paused and since my phone isn't LTE, they couldn't and told me the best they could is a "unlimited data for 4G" - that's the MONEY MAKER!

Went back into a XDA and copied down the APN for 4G/HSPA+ settings and it's rocking out .. well as much as ATT 4G on the Bay Area.
Low Ping, Local servers, hit 6 Mbps on SpeedTest.
Test against friend's ATT 4S and similar speeds.

Thank goodness!!

Feb 19, 2001
Browsed through XDA/Android forums and thought i'd give a new APN a shot, what' to lose.
- new APN, could run SpeedTest with the correct bay area server, speeds were slow but since i was at work, no way to really tell. Webpages or anything access the internet was lagging, like a noticeable pause before any activity kicked in. Went back to default APN.

I'm in the Bay Area too and I had an APN issue. I opened my SGS2 which runs CM10 and I copied the APN over. This was the wap.cingular one. I also tried the LTE APN (I'm on the LTE plan for AT&T).

After doing that, my speedtest worked perfectly. I got 5mbps down at work when I usually top out at 2mbps only at work. Before on the Nexus 4 I could not get it to work.

Maybe you copied the wrong APN or whatever because surfing is definitely pretty speedy. I would be careful with the default APN on stock 4.2.1 because I believe people have reported MMS issues. The CyanogenMod APN works perfectly with data, mms, and all.

Sid59

Lifer
Sep 2, 2002
I'm in the Bay Area too and I had an APN issue. I opened my SGS2 which runs CM10 and I copied the APN over. This was the wap.cingular one. I also tried the LTE APN (I'm on the LTE plan for AT&T).

After doing that, my speedtest worked perfectly. I got 5mbps down at work when I usually top out at 2mbps only at work. Before on the Nexus 4 I could not get it to work.

Maybe you copied the wrong APN or whatever because surfing is definitely pretty speedy. I would be careful with the default APN on stock 4.2.1 because I believe people have reported MMS issues. The CyanogenMod APN works perfectly with data, mms, and all.

There are two different APN's depending on how the data is provisioned.
LTE plans and 4G plans - I'm just glad it works. At work i know it's a max 3mb/s tested on Atrix 2.

The APN for HSPA+ didn't work well because the data plan on record was an old 3G plan for my iPhone 3GS.

Feb 19, 2001
There are two different APN's depending on how the data is provisioned.
LTE plans and 4G plans - I'm just glad it works. At work i know it's a max 3mb/s tested on Atrix 2.

The APN for HSPA+ didn't work well because the data plan on record was an old 3G plan for my iPhone 3GS.

Yeah I think iPhone plans seem to cause weird things. Maybe you should ask for the standard HSPA plan to be provisioned. It shouldn't cost you more.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
For those of you running LTE on the Nexus 4, how good/bad is the battery life? I hear there may be a significant hit in battery life, which isn't good considering the battery life already is pretty mediocre even without LTE.

Also, how reliable is the LTE connection?

P.S. I guess this is directed to mainly just Canadians.

Sid59

Lifer
Sep 2, 2002
Yeah I think iPhone plans seem to cause weird things. Maybe you should ask for the standard HSPA plan to be provisioned. It shouldn't cost you more.

I'm all set from my last post. Online rep put me on unlimited 4g data and I used the APN for hspa+. Hit 9 Mbps at home during a few tests.

shabby

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
For those of you running LTE on the Nexus 4, how good/bad is the battery life? I hear there may be a significant hit in battery life, which isn't good considering the battery life already is pretty mediocre even without LTE.

Also, how reliable is the LTE connection?

P.S. I guess this is directed to mainly just Canadians.

The hit isn't that big, over a day i noticed perhaps 10% less battery compared to hspa, my phone lasts me 2 days.
In areas of my house where hspa barely chugs along at 1mbps, lte does 7mpbs with ease.

Zink

Sep 24, 2009
What is Google's policy with optimizations like that on Nexus devices? I don't see any reason the Nexus 4 wouldn't get the same battery life as the LG phone but at the same time that isn't really a core Android feature that Nexus would get first and then spread to other phones. It would be an optimization specifically to improve only the Nexus 4 and there isn't that much pressure on Google to optimize battery life if it is a lot of work or otherwise difficult to do.

Feb 19, 2001
What is Google's policy with optimizations like that on Nexus devices? I don't see any reason the Nexus 4 wouldn't get the same battery life as the LG phone but at the same time that isn't really a core Android feature that Nexus would get first and then spread to other phones. It would be an optimization specifically to improve only the Nexus 4 and there isn't that much pressure on Google to optimize battery life if it is a lot of work or otherwise difficult to do.

I think Google just doesn't spend enough time optimizing the Nexus 4. When things like screen calibration get dropped resulting in piss poor presentation, you know they're not getting things done right.

I like how Google spends time implementing OS features, but getting the hardware to work well seems to always get dropped. We always see poor battery life, poor camera performance, bad screen calibration, etc.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Curious, is there a way to enable USB Mass Storage on the Nexus 4. Solutions I've found that have to do with ICS and JB all talk about using an external mSDHC card.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Ouch.

Nexus 4 online manual now says it doesn&#8217;t support USB OTG

Nexus-4-manual-USB-OT.jpg

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Yeah, I know you posted it, but it seems like Google has no interest in correcting it. They'd rather just change the instruction manual so it's officially not supported. This is what it used to say:

Nexus-4-USB-OTG-guide.jpg

P.S. I've cancelled my Nexus 4 order. I'll just try out the Razr HD for now. No idea when mine's gonna arrive though, and my carrier can't tell me much either, except that I should get it in two weeks (vs 7 weeks for the Nexus 4).

Last edited: