Official Avail. Nov 13th - Android 4.2 - LG Nexus 4 - Asus Nexus 7 - Samsung Nexus 10

Page 47 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
Ended up calling customer support today. Said that my order had likely shipped either yesterday or today and I would get it tomorrow or Friday. My order went through at 10:56am last Tuesday.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
So I have my 4, so far so good - its fast, hardware is superb, etc. One major annoyance though:

I have my T-Mobile voicemail turned off completely (I use voice). Its disabled on the account. When I brought the 4 up for the first time with my new micro sim it thinks I have a voicemail waiting. I clear the message, it comes right back.

I've rebooted to no avail and T-Mobile support says I have no messages they can see to delete for me. If I call to check voicemail it says I don't have a mailbox, which is what I would expect.

WTF?

Update:

Called T-Mobile again and got a smarter agent. He re-enabled voicemail on my account and left me a voicemail which I then deleted. The indicator is gone now and voicemail is once again disabled. All is well now.

This phone is stupid fast and I never found my GN to be all that slow.

Viper GTS

Last edited:

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Request: Please post your Nexus 4 HSPA+ speeds.

www.speedtest.net

Latency
Download speed
Upload speed

I'm particularly interested in Rogers/Fido speeds in Canada as well as other carriers around the world that aren't AT&T, although it'd be good to have AT&T numbers too for comparison.

Last edited:

thisjustin

Aug 16, 2010
nabeje6a.jpg

Here's some quick tests on Tmobiles 4g network in Jacksonville Florida. Pinging servers in Florida and on the East coast.

In case the picture doesn't show up the speed varied between 8000 kbps and 12000 kbps for download. About 1500 kbps upload and ping between 100 ms and 1200.

Usually I would get around 5000 to 7000 kbps in the same area on my Galaxy nexus, similar upload and ping.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
16:10 on small devices is kind of useful because it makes the screen narrow enough to hold in one hand while using the other on the touchscreen. The Nexus 7 kind of benefits from being like a big phone in portrait whereas the iPad mini is a bit to wide for that. At 10" I agree with you, 4:3 is way better. 16:10 is too narrow for portrait and too short for landscape, especially with Android software buttons and notification bar taking up screen space. Windows 8 almost makes 10" 16:9 usable by making applications completely full screen but it is still way too tall for useful portrait layouts.

The screen aspect ratio and software buttons are the biggest negatives I have for 10" android after using my Asus Transformer with 4.1. It makes the Nexus 10 a hard sell even at $400 because the iPad seems to have the right size screen.

I agree with this assessment. I was in the position to choose either one and ended up choosing 7 despite STRONG urge to have 10. For that size larger width is more useful especially for text. And I've heard that its internal weight is not evenly distributed, making the tallness more problematic (head-heavy).

P.S. Could anyone shed some light on Camera Zoom FX, or camera apps in general?

Last edited:

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Here's some quick tests on Tmobiles 4g network in Jacksonville Florida. Pinging servers in Florida and on the East coast.

In case the picture doesn't show up the speed varied between 8000 kbps and 12000 kbps for download. About 1500 kbps upload and ping between 100 ms and 1200.

Usually I would get around 5000 to 7000 kbps in the same area on my Galaxy nexus, similar upload and ping.
That's pretty amazing coverage you've got there. 5000 to 7000 on Galaxy is 3G?

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
nabeje6a.jpg

That's excellent! Very encouraging. Well, except for the ping.

I'm on an iPhone 4 which supports 7.2 Mbps HSDPA and 5.6 Mbps HSUPA, but real world speeds really suck, in this range:

Carrier: Fido
Latency: 90-200 ms
Download speed: 0.20-1.6 Mbps
Upload speed: 1 Mbps

Carrier: Fido
Latency: 65-100 ms
Download speed: 1-3 Mbps
Upload speed: 1-2 Mbps

I think Fido supports 21 Mbps HSPA+, so I'm hopeful it will be a huge speed upgrade with the Nexus 4. All I want (for now, until the Nexus 2013 comes out ;)) is consistent minimum 1-2 Mbps minimum with usual speeds about 4 Mbps down.

Mind you, my buddies on LTE are often getting north of 20 Mbps :p, and lower latency.

Last edited:

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Is this app (Camera Zoom FX) any good? I keep getting advertisement of this.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsInNsaWRlLmNhbWVyYVpvb20iXQ..

And they've got a whole bunch of camera apps of which the differences are not entirely clear to me.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=androidslide

I bought the Camera Zoom FX during the 10 cent sale I think. Is it good? I don't know. I tried it couple times but I just use the stock camera app on my Galaxy Nexus. If you're looking for free camera app for your Nexus 7, you can just install the shortcut to the stock camera app. Asus and Google deleted it from Nexus 7 for some reason. You can add it back. https://play.google.com/store/apps/...=organic&utm_term=camera+launcher+for+nexus+7

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Thank you, ponyo. Yes, I remember seeing the camera launcher in my first nexus 7! Totally forgot about it.

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
Just tried the nexus live wallpaper for the first time on the n4. Must say it's awesome to have no hint of lag even with the lwp running. Gnex on 4.2 was still a lagfest

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
Loving the N10 so far. I'll dissect it for few days longer before drawing conclusions but it's been very sweet so far.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Loving the N10 so far. I'll dissect it for few days longer before drawing conclusions but it's been very sweet so far.

Same, but I didn't realize how much I enjoyed the portability of the Nexus 7 until I started using the 10. The display is amazing, but the added weight and size are making me consider returning it.

What I need is a Nexus 7 that can hook up to a TV.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Speeds on Rogers in the suburbs of Toronto:

<-- Click to enlarge.

The pings are not bad. I'd be perfectly happy with those pings, and the download speeds are more than what I was hoping for. However, that's in the suburbs where it's much less congested. I'm still waiting for downtown urban speed tests. The upload speeds are no so great, but that's less important to me for a phone.

BTW, Rogers is HSPA+ 21 Mbps. No 42 support.

Same, but I didn't realize how much I enjoyed the portability of the Nexus 7 until I started using the 10. The display is amazing, but the added weight and size are making me consider returning it.

Yeah, I've been complaining for years that 10" tablets are annoyingly "big". However, people always said I was nuts, esp. the Apple fans. Finally, with the Nexus 7 and iPad mini out now, people are actually starting to agree. ;)

If I ever buy another iPad, it will be a mini, preferably with a higher rez screen.

Last edited:

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
The battery life on N4 has been stellar so far. Under nearly identical load, on average it uses 5-10% than GNex and it's even better in deep sleep. Took it off the charger after it was fully charged and forgot to plug it back in. It used 1% while idling overnight.

2hprv46.png

I would probably feel the same way if I had any experience with the smaller tablets but I don't, I just jumped into the tablet market. I've been using an ipad 2 since I placed my order and I can definitely appreciate the difference in weight and thickness.

TWSS jokes aside, 7" is large enough for a tablet IMO If I need bigger, I wouldn't necessarily reach for a 10", rather switch to computer monitor or TV. I would buy a tablet with Exynos 5 pushing 1080p 7-8" over the Nexus 10 any day but I just couldn't wait anymore.

Last edited:

Zink

Sep 24, 2009
After hearing nothing for a week and then getting the tracking number yesterday I have my Nexus 4. It is almost the exact same size and thickness as my T-Mobile Galaxy SII (aka SII X), only a few mm taller. Both the front and back glass touch the surface of a table when it is set down, unlike the S2 which has a plastic ring around the front and a soft touch back. I ordered a case but I have a feeling I might not use if it makes using the phone with one hand more difficult. The screen is nicer than the pentile Galxy S III screen for small text and graininess and I don't mind the black levels for reading ebooks with a black background. I do notice it feeling warmer than my S2 at the top of the phone but I think part of that is heavy use and glass transferring heat better than plastic.

Overall it is very similar to my old phone but also slightly nicer in just about every aspect. I'll do some speed tests tomorrow.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
The battery life on N4 has been stellar so far. Under nearly identical load, on average it uses 5-10% than GNex and it's even better in deep sleep. Took it off the charger after it was fully charged and forgot to plug it back in. It used 1% while idling overnight.

2hprv46.png

I looked at the battery life thread over at XDA and it looks like N4 battery life is about the same as HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus with official extended battery. It looks like ~3-4 hour screen time after being unplugged 12-16 yours. Which is good enough to get most people through their workday.

aceO07

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2000

Yea, idling power usage is great. I managed to get 2% drop during 2.5hr span, while turning it on numerous times to check email/chat.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
Yea, idling power usage is great. I managed to get 2% drop during 2.5hr span, while turning it on numerous times to check email/chat.
Nice.

I just noticed how bad my GNex (LTE) battery use really is... 3%+ per hour while *in airplane mode*!?

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
I think stand-by power use is the biggest improvement Google has achieved by 4.2, going from 4.1.