Official Avail. Nov 13th - Android 4.2 - LG Nexus 4 - Asus Nexus 7 - Samsung Nexus 10

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices & Gadgets' started by basslover1, Oct 22, 2012.

1. bigrash

bigrash Lifer

Waiting on JB 4.2 for the Nexus 7...

2. Eug

Eug Lifer

The OS update was supposed to be Nov. 11, so I was hoping for final reviews to come today, but the OS update isn't coming until tomorrow.

So I'd expect final reviews to show up starting tomorrow until the end of the week. Anand/Brian usually take a bit longer than some, so I could see their review coming later in the week.

The downside to this is that I'd guess the Nexus 4 to sell out tomorrow, so if you don't order tomorrow before the final reviews, you might be waiting a little while to get a unit. It depends on how much production Google had before release. Maybe not distributing them to the stores will help keep things going for Google Play orders.

3. Gooberlx2

Gooberlx2 Lifer

:thumbsup: I hope so, as that will hopefully also usher a new era of subscribers generally going with prepaid options instead of two-year agreement, unless there's substantial benefit aside from phone subsidy. Like Tmo's value plans.

4. ponyo

ponyo Lifer

I think if you wait til the final reviews to find out, the phone will likely be sold out and backordered. The camera is non issue for me as it's better than GNex camera and that is acceptable to me. The battery life is a big issue with me as I can't swap batteries with the sealed back. Nexus 4 is Google version of iPhone 4 to 4S. It's not big enough upgrade and the phone basically looks the same minus the glass back. It's basically Galaxy Nexus merged with iPhone 4. Which is fine as I think both phones were great looking phones but I keep coming back to the sealed battery. I'm probably going to order but I know it won't be worth the upgrade for me.

5. Eug

Eug Lifer

Heh, that's what I was thinking too. Looks-wise, the Nexus 4 is Google's iPhone 4S (but faster and with a bigger screen)... which is fine by me because I love the aesthetics of the iPhone 4/4S.

6. preslove

preslove Lifer

After listening to the Ananadtech podcast, I think I'm going to get this. They said that the battery life, isn't THAT bad. I might get a portable charger for trips.

One quick question, will this sim card cutter work with my straight talk sim to make it compatible to the nexus 4? I've never messed around with micro sims: http://www.amazon.com/eForCity-Cutte...rds=sim+cutter

7. vshah

vshah Lifer

cutter will work, or you can just use a template and a pair of scissors.

8. Crow550

Crow550 Platinum Member

Check this out: http://cnettv.cnet.com/how-cut-down-your-sim-card/9742-1_53-50129086.html

Since you have to send those back.

Check out Monoprice's backup batteries: http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10833#1083311

This 9000mAh battery kinda matches the Nexus 4 and looks the most portable as well as providing the most juice: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10831&cs_id=1083110&p_id=9531&seq=1&format=2

#683 Crow550, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  9. A5

A5 Diamond Member

I like this one better for non-Apple devices due to the built-in micro-USB port and non-huge size: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10833&cs_id=1083311&p_id=7664&seq=1&format=2

10. Capt Caveman

Capt Caveman Lifer

Sorry to be a pain, any idea when it'll be available at Google Play? At like midnight PST or more like in the morning? I don't know how it was for the GN.

#685 Capt Caveman, Nov 12, 2012
  11. Eug

Eug Lifer

The good news is that many newer planes now have USB ports on the seat backs, specifically for charging mobile devices.

I always bring USB charging cables with me on the plane in my carry on... along with a battery pack as well. I'm thinking a Monoprice battery pack with regular USB jack, along with the appropriate cables will work.

I dunno. Perhaps those who bought the Nexus 7 from Google Play can comment.

12. Viper GTS

Viper GTS Lifer

The 7 sale doesn't tell us much since it went up for sale during the keynote.

I'll check midnight eastern, midnight pacific, and whenever I wake up eastern. Hopefully that will let me get one launch day.

Viper GTS

13. zerocool84

zerocool84 Lifer

I read on The Verge forums that it's 12am PST

14. dagamer34

dagamer34 Platinum Member

Should have gotten this one instead: http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Qi-E.../dp/B0041RRORA

Works on both the Lumia 920 and Nexus 4.

15. Viper GTS

Viper GTS Lifer

Yes I know but they're hideous.

Unless I find something better that's what I will end up with but the powermat is so clean.

:(

Viper GTS

16. basslover1

basslover1 Golden Member

I've been hearing 12AM EST, 12AM, PST, 9AM PST...etc etc.

I'd lean towards 9AM PST (12PM EST), since that's about the time the west coast people would be starting their day. However, I'll be checking all night tonight and into tomorrow morning.

17. Crow550

Crow550 Platinum Member

I'd wait and see how much Google charges for the official one once it hits the play store.

18. Fire&Blood

Fire&Blood Platinum Member

Just parted ways with my GNex literally minutes ago. Factory reset and off to some dude in NJ. Back on winmo 6.5 on my semi functioning HD2. I guess I could install Gingerbread but why bother.

Read somewhere that Nexus 4 & 10 will ship from Kentucky, hoping both are here by Friday.

19. lothar

lothar Diamond Member

Might as well order a microSIM from StraightTalk for $5.

20. DLeRium

DLeRium Lifer

Is it honestly going to sell that much? Do you see this beating an iPhone 5 launch? Or 4S? Or 4? I don't know.

Furthermore, this is like an iPhone launch in the sense that Nexus phones only come out every year. Either you buy it or you wait. Are you going to wait for the next gen. Same with iPhone users. Are they really going to wait for the next one? If you wait 3 months, what do you get? The phone is still the same. Maybe a few fixes here or there. You might as well get it now. Unless the phone is that atrocious, I don't see iPhone users waiting, and nor do I see Nexus users waiting. It makes no sense to wait unless you suspect a higher capacity version coming out soon or you're willing to wait for that or you're waiting for the next Nexus.

Edit: The first paragraph was talking about demand because I don't believe demand will be as high. I tend to think that makes stock out less of an issue. The second paragraph deals with the fact that you should buy now rather than wait if you're set on the phone pretty much (minus the bugs)

#695 DLeRium, Nov 12, 2012
  21. Capt Caveman

Capt Caveman Lifer

Thanks. I'll set the alarm for 3am here and hopefully get a N4 and N10. If not, then back to sleep.

22. ponyo

ponyo Lifer

Who said anything about beating iPhone 5 launch? Or 4S. Or 4. What does that have to do with anything other than Apple? Who knows how many Nexus 4 and 10 Google has on hand at their warehouses. Maybe it's 100k units. Maybe 500k. Maybe a million. Who knows. All I know is Google and Asus had problems meeting the initial Nexus 7 orders due to supply line problems. If you're willing to risk the product selling out and waiting for restock, that's your choice.

23. Fire&Blood

Fire&Blood Platinum Member

Same here, I wasn't sold until I heard that part of the podcast, starting 1:01 or so.

And yes, that cutter will work. The plastic adapters that ship with likely won't so if you ever have to go back to old phone, keep the cut out frame.

24. aceO07

aceO07 Diamond Member

Based on the XDA forums, the purchase option for the N4 is now popping up depending on your zone. People in Australia already got to buy it.

So, it's most likely midnight 11/13 for your time zone.

25. DLeRium

DLeRium Lifer

I'm using comparison against iPhone demand to illustrate supply issues. I guess the Nexus 7 is a valid point, but my point was that since this thing isn't going to sell like hotcakes like the iPhone 5, then perhaps inventory won't be a huge issue.

But you're right, scaled down demand still has demand issues potentially.