Official ATI 4870 X2 reviews thread.

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

evolucion8

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2005
Originally posted by: chizow
Originally posted by: evolucion8
Well is not too much considering that you will get twice the amount of VRAM, and in a review which the reviewer disabled one GPU in the device manager to make it run as a single GPU, showed that the HD 4870 benefits greatly of the additional amount of VRAM (1GB of VRAM), it was able to keep up or outperfom the GTX 280 in many gaming scenarios, much closer that I though it could be, that would explain this; Why if a single HD 4870 cannot outperform a single GTX 280, then why an HD 4870X2 can outperform an GTX 280 in SLI? Feel free to state a different conclusion...

Do you have a link to that review? I'd be interested to see where a 1GB 4870 benefitted from additional RAM and was able to surpass the GTX 280.

As to why 4870X2 can outperform GTX 280 SLI, the explanation is simple, GT200 SLI does not currently scale as well as RV770 or even G80/G92. Why that's the case may be due to many factors like CPU bottlenecking, drivers, greater penalties with AA etc, but to come to the conclusion that a 4870 with 1GB outperforms a GTX 280 based on CF/SLI scaling is clearly a backward assumption.

Seems that you haven't bothered to read any of the review links posted in the main page of this thread. Then, why bothering to argue without first confirming what am I saying? Here is the proof and it's link is posted in the main page.

http://www.techpowerup.com/rev...hire/HD_4870_X2/6.html

Is not like is always outperforming the GTX 280, but heck, if ATi was able to close significantly the performance difference between the HD 3870 and the 8800GT through driver maturity, the same will happen to the HD 4870 which performance difference is even less against the GTX 280.

videopho

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2005
Dang it!
It looks like the 280 still owns the FSx by a whopping 20% over the AMD 4870x2.
I'd love to abandon the NV ship and jump on the AMD band wagon as it's way too long over due.
My dilemma is that I play FSx over 50% of any other games I've played.
Decision, decision, decision.

FiLeZz

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2000
I placed the order on tuesday.. Card will arrive on friday.. I will keep you posted..

going from tri 8800gtx to one 4870x2 another 4870 1gb may be in order when they arrive.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Ocguy31
I dont know if anyone has posted this, but it looks like best-buy is taking pre-orders on the Visiontek for $469.....awesome deal if that price holds true.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ol...oduct&id=1218005635566

!@#$%^&*! :|

I wish I would've seen this earlier....like maybe 8 hours ago when I bought mine at Provantage.com for $532. Heck, I thought I got a good deal. I'm not signing up for some credit card or whatever to get that 25% off Live.com deal. That only seemed to be working for a small percentage of the folks anyway.

I was expecting a bit of buyer's remorse (price only) but F'in DAMN, not in the same DAY. :roll:

Oh well, that's the game we play to run along on the bleeding edge. :D

Hopefully I'll have my card at least a few days before those who get in on the BestBuy deal so I can enjoy my extra $62 worth of card.

I have never been so hyped up over a new piece of gear before. I can't wait to play Oblivion at 19x12 with all the eye candy turned on and get 50+FPS.

Heck, I'm even thinking about a FRESH OS LOAD just to ensure I don't wind up with any driver contamination b/c I currently run a NVidia card.

Nice find, OP. :)

mrmessyhair

Aug 12, 2008
Originally posted by: MichaelD
I dont know if anyone has posted this, but it looks like best-buy is taking pre-orders on the Visiontek for $469.....awesome deal if that price holds true.

I wish I would've seen this earlier....like maybe 8 hours ago when I bought mine at Provantage.com for $532. Heck, I thought I got a good deal. I'm not signing up for some credit card or whatever to get that 25% off Live.com deal. That only seemed to be working for a small percentage of the folks anyway.

I was expecting a bit of buyer's remorse (price only) but F'in DAMN, not in the same DAY. :roll:

Hopefully I'll have my card at least a few days before those who get in on the BestBuy deal so I can enjoy my extra $62 worth of card.

I have never been so hyped up over a new piece of gear before. I can't wait to play Oblivion at 19x12 with all the eye candy turned on and get 50+FPS.

Heck, I'm even thinking about a FRESH OS LOAD just to ensure I don't wind up with any driver contamination b/c I currently run a NVidia card.

You don't have to sign up for anything for the 25% back...

I do wish I had seen the best buy thing earlier though.

my discount with MS was 25% which was 140$
550-140= 410

but I have 75 dollars in best buy gift cards that I've received over time, so

469-75 = 394

oh well.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
Originally posted by: apoppin
Originally posted by: bryanW1995
It performs pretty much as expected, 4870CF on a single card. What was interesting was how the X2 still seemed to trade wins with the 4870CF. I suppose it could be the shared x16 slot vs. 1GB buffer balancing each other out, but it seemed the differences were in favor of the X2 in situations where frame buffer caused performance to tank on the 512MB parts. It certainly would be the card to own at 2560, but for anything else it looks like we'll probably need more intensive games or faster CPUs before it justifies its price over slower solutions. In the meantime, you'll get a lot of "free AA", whether or not that's worth the premium is up to you.

i am not sure what to do. i "only" game at 19x12 , so another 4870 might be enough for me

BUT ,, IF i run a 2nd 4870, my P35's 4x [2nd] Slot is gonna hold back the performance like 20% if some reviews are to believed. So i would also need to by a x48 Intel MB [$250]

IF i get a 4870x2, it will not be held back much by the PCIe1.0 [x16 slot] BUT i will have an "extra" 4870/512MB to stick in the 4x slot .. for who knows what "extra" performance it will give

i am looking for suggestions. A CPU upgrade to Quad is in order after i try to find my e4300's Max OC [probably ~3.5Ghz]. Not sure what reasonably priced QC pretty routinely hits 4Ghz either
:confused:

wait might be my best option

just keep the 1x4870 for now. get a crossfire mobo when bloomfield comes out.

That is what i thought ... wait=P

When is Bloomfield due [x48 MB?]? i could also pick up a 4870x2 to play with it now and upgrade my MB later
- that would give me a lot of comparisons of PCIe 1.0 vs 2.0 and the 2nd slot of 4xPCIe x4 vs PCIe x16.

is that ebay cash back going to last a while? There doesn't seem to be a great supply of 4870x2 like there was with 4870

no, that won't work. x48 is still lga 775, bloomfield is the all-new performance/enthusiast tri-channel ddr-3 only version for nehalem. wait until nehalem comes out, should be before xmas, and you won't have to worry about being cpu limited on a tri/quad xfire 4870 rig.

Oh, Nehalem .. which means when translated .. "expensive as hell" :p

i want a Pre-xmas present
:D

2.66 ghz nehalem ~ $300
bloomfield mobo ~ $300
3x1gb ddr3 ~ $150

$750 isn't going to be a whole lot more than th $500 or so you'll pay for a 4870x2, and you won't have to worry about going all "aigomorla" on your rig to prevent it from getting cpu-limited.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
Originally posted by: MichaelD

dude, I've seen/heard several peeps get in on this "preorder" best buy crap and end up with squat a month later...when you start seeing happy people here on the forums bragging about their 4870x2's that they got for ~ $500 shipped from bb on launch day THEN get upset. however, if you see people come on here a few weeks from now moaning about their great deal on piece of air that best buy never delivered you can smile as you run AOC at 2560x1600 with 8xAA :)

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
It performs pretty much as expected, 4870CF on a single card. What was interesting was how the X2 still seemed to trade wins with the 4870CF. I suppose it could be the shared x16 slot vs. 1GB buffer balancing each other out, but it seemed the differences were in favor of the X2 in situations where frame buffer caused performance to tank on the 512MB parts. It certainly would be the card to own at 2560, but for anything else it looks like we'll probably need more intensive games or faster CPUs before it justifies its price over slower solutions. In the meantime, you'll get a lot of "free AA", whether or not that's worth the premium is up to you.

i am not sure what to do. i "only" game at 19x12 , so another 4870 might be enough for me

BUT ,, IF i run a 2nd 4870, my P35's 4x [2nd] Slot is gonna hold back the performance like 20% if some reviews are to believed. So i would also need to by a x48 Intel MB [$250]

IF i get a 4870x2, it will not be held back much by the PCIe1.0 [x16 slot] BUT i will have an "extra" 4870/512MB to stick in the 4x slot .. for who knows what "extra" performance it will give

i am looking for suggestions. A CPU upgrade to Quad is in order after i try to find my e4300's Max OC [probably ~3.5Ghz]. Not sure what reasonably priced QC pretty routinely hits 4Ghz either

wait might be my best option

just keep the 1x4870 for now. get a crossfire mobo when bloomfield comes out.

That is what i thought ... wait=P

When is Bloomfield due [x48 MB?]? i could also pick up a 4870x2 to play with it now and upgrade my MB later
- that would give me a lot of comparisons of PCIe 1.0 vs 2.0 and the 2nd slot of 4xPCIe x4 vs PCIe x16.

is that ebay cash back going to last a while? There doesn't seem to be a great supply of 4870x2 like there was with 4870

no, that won't work. x48 is still lga 775, bloomfield is the all-new performance/enthusiast tri-channel ddr-3 only version for nehalem. wait until nehalem comes out, should be before xmas, and you won't have to worry about being cpu limited on a tri/quad xfire 4870 rig.

Oh, Nehalem .. which means when translated .. "expensive as hell" :p

i want a Pre-xmas present

2.66 ghz nehalem ~ $300
bloomfield mobo ~ $300
3x1gb ddr3 ~ $150

$750 isn't going to be a whole lot more than th $500 or so you'll pay for a 4870x2, and you won't have to worry about going all "aigomorla" on your rig to prevent it from getting cpu-limited.

phooey :p

i *ordered* the $469 VT HD4870x2

i can deal with the ramifications of it later.

in the *meantime* i will have THE fastest single solution for my 19x12 LCD - PCIe 1.0 be damned! ... and i will get to PLAY with a Slow-ASS 512MB version of HD4870 in the 4xPCIe slot until i figure out what to do about my CPU and MB

i was thinking of an x48 with a cheap [haha] O/C'able QC and my current 4GB pc6400 OC'd also as far as it will go

BY *next year*, i will decide if i need another MB/CPU/RAM upgrade
-or not

rose.gif

now how should i do it again?

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Yep as I said befor the 4000series launched . You guys would be pleasantly surprized.
Its a great card . . But I am going to downgrade my lcd. to 26" My daughter says she would like a 30 so. I made a deal with her.

For you guys who bought these cards. You may or may not know what all you got in this package . But to give you an idea. Intel and AMD/ATI seem to be getting along really well . AMD/ATI use Havok for physics. Ya I know Physics X is 10x better. But were is the proof. AMD also signed on with intels USB 3 controller specs. Than there is DX10.1 which if you listen to certain people is not important. But with ATI leading in performance . Game developers may quickly change there thinking . If it does add to performance as is shown in another review listed in the list of reviews the Game AC without the patch beats up on the 280. So it is meaning full. You add in the fact that what Ronnn said in another physics thread that if the fanbois and employees would get along maybe we could see some progress. Well Ronnn All the developers are aware of intels plans. Intel can do DX10.1 Larrabee will beable to do RTR as will the 4870x2. So there you have it ronnn . 2 of the 3 players playing nice together. Bet you never thought it would turn out like this. I did. If you guys think for one moment game developers want to be left out in the cold think again.

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/38145/135/

Offtopic

I won't go into the physics X thread and not sure which of the 2 threads I read it in . Keys or the 98000gtx cuda thread.
But something was said in there I was not aware of . Someone said physics x works on Xbox is this true and how is it done. I thought ATI did xbox.

SSChevy2001

Jul 9, 2008
@apoppin - Congratulations on your purchase.

Dammit I want to just order one right now, but I just can't see why I would need it just yet. Hopefully though with more titles coming towards the end of the year, I'll pick one up then unless something better comes out before then. Buyer's remorse is always on the back burner.

Originally posted by: Nemesis 1
I won't go into the physics X thread and not sure which of the 2 threads I read it in. Keys or the 98000gtx cuda thread. But something was said in there I was not aware of. Someone said physics x works on Xbox is this true and how is it done. I thought ATI did xbox.
Xbox currently only uses software physx, same as the PC ports Gears of War, Mass Effect, .... The current PhysX line up of titles are mostly multiplatform games, so I doubt there will be much of a difference in those PC titles when it comes to GPU PhysX. Question is how much time will developers put toward these multiplatform games, just to give Nvidia some extra PhysX goodies?

Intel supporting DX10.1 means nothing, because Larrabee is nowhere near being released. Even then it has to prove itself worthy of playing with big boys, something developers will want to know 1st. Now if Nvidia was to release a 55nm GT200 with DX 10.1 support we might see some DX10.1 games by 2009, but then there's no advantage to be had. At the end of the day PhysX or DX10.1 doesn't matter until the games come out. Until then buy what makes you happy now, or just wait it out.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000

Offtopic

I won't go into the physics X thread and not sure which of the 2 threads I read it in . Keys or the 98000gtx cuda thread.
But something was said in there I was not aware of . Someone said physics x works on Xbox is this true and how is it done. I thought ATI did xbox.

You? Off topic? There is no way im buying that....

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Good points . But the fact that Intel is coming with Larrabee . Plus the fact the ATI now leads in performance changes things abit more than most would believe. I remember clearly the R300 and how things swung around to ATI side very quickly.

Ya intel larrabee has to prove itself for fact. But I see a lot of blood letting going on in these threads . Something that was proven to be not real good for what it was intended for . Many are saying Intel has to beat ATI/ NV with the larrabee i say BS . show me the proof . Anywere on the Web. Show me the proof. I see A lot of people saying this and that . Lets see the proof. One game was released with Dx10.1 but because of tech problems:roll: It was patched .

The fact intel bought havok and a game studio and they have hired some of the best in the industry for drivers and such is very positive for intel. I mean Intel hired the legends.
If intel did all this without having a clue what larrabee should do . They wouldn't be were they are.

This isn't a Larrabee thread or a PhysX thread. Please stay on topic. If you want to talk about those things, start a new thread.

-ViRGE

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006

Offtopic

You? Off topic? There is no way im buying that....

Offtopic

Ya I get carried away easily . But you know what would be interesting. Lets see that topic thread befor you guys knew how the 4000series performed. You know the one were the 4000series couldn't come close to NV. A lot of things were said in that thread that were just plain lies. But I remained calm and didn't say 1 thing I shouldn't have. Even when I knew. I remember how you defended NV $650 280 . Than I see ya trashing the 4870x2. SO ya I can go offtopic easy . with people like you around . My reply here point of fact.

I think we would all enjoy reading the BS that was spread by some here. That occurred in that thread. Anyone have a link . or was that topic trashed.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
YA I can . I am one of the lucky few that can't see it. OR plain doesn't know what it is. My wife isn't so lucky. As she can see something . But not sure what she seeing. I can't see 3D effects in movies either. Blind left eye. You know what I mean with those silly glasses.

I think others have covered this pretty well. I mean its been beat to death.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Janooo
Can somebody comment on micro stuttering?

yes

but not everyone sees it or is bothered by it

IF you enable MSAA or SuperSampling then the problems with AFR goes away... :)
- and you need a powerful cards for it :p

@apoppin - Congratulations on your purchase.
Thanks .. but it is from Best Buy and it is a "preorder" - so it is not assured. i also got my HD2900 for 20% off last May from BB .. so i am hopeful.

Since i am doing HW reviews, it is necessary for me to bench with it as i am exploring CrossfireX3

EDIT: it is sold out at BB for $469 .. i guess i may get it as i ordered last night and got a confirmation :)

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
Well logic tells me that you cannot graph things that doesn't exist?

Im sorry to break it out for you, but the tooth fairy doesn't exist. :p;