**OFFICIAL** AT DOTA 2 Thread & Steam Group

Destiny

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2010
DOTA 2 is a multi-player FREE to PLAY online game based on the Defensive of the Ancients (DOTA) mod from Warcraft III.

Players choose from a pool of heroes with different skills/roles in a 5 vs 5 team battle in a set arena.

Official DOTA 2 Website:

http://blog.dota2.com/

DOTA 2 is still in Beta Mode and Valve is currently giving out beta keys when you sign up on their website for a survey:

http://www.dota2.com/survey/experience/

DOTA 2 Hero Guides:

http://www.dotafire.com/

DOTACinema YouTube Channel with Hero Introductions, Hero Guides, Replay Videos, Hero Workshops, and Top 10 Replays/FAILS:

http://www.youtube.com/user/DotaCinema

At the moment they are releasing 1 to 2 new heroes a month and it may look like the complete roster of heroes will be available soon.

Unlike other free to play games, people cannot use real money to purchase items from the Steam Store to get in-game competitive advantage. There are items people can purchase to support the DOTA development community such as tournament tickets (live stream), clothes/items to customize their heroes, and items to customize in game audio/visuals.

Last edited:

Destiny

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2010
At the request of some forum members, I have created an AnandTech DOTA Steam Group so we can all que into a game and have some fun games together.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/AnandTechDOTA

Feel free to post DOTA discussions in this thread and in the Steam Group's threads.

I have changed the AnandTech DOTA Steam Group into a Public Group. Once you are a member you are also welcome to invite other people to join the group too.

If anyone wants to help me Admin/MOD the steam group please let me know (Requirement must be an AnandTech Forum member for at least a year).

I will try my best to help manage the steam group, the AT DOTA 2 Team, and maintain this thread. I also appreciate any advice and suggestions.

Last edited:

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Awesome. I am thinking about starting to pick up Dota more than HoN, as all my friends have officially moved on.

SteamID is an_angry_ewok I believe. I will have to check for sure when I get home. Sad that I don't know my own SteamID. =(

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
Please add me. I think my profile name is probably Odyn, I'm not very good at steam.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
Sign me up, profile name should be [CA] CrackRabbit or CrackRabbit.
I'll check it when I get home.

If you see me online and need people for a game send me a message I'll be happy to join.

Last edited:

Destiny

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2010
I added everyone on this thread... I also made the AnandTech DOTA 2 Steam Group into a public group (I saw other AT Steam Groups were public).

Any AnandTech member is welcome to add me as their friend too:

Steam Profile: ROADKILL_626

Peter Nixeus

Aug 27, 2012
www.nixeus.com
Has anyone been experiencing server lag (i know its server lag because everyone in the game had it and not just me)? Or unable to connect to DOTA server either when trying to get into a game or spectate a game? Been getting those issues all this evenings.

Destiny

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2010
So what's the point of this group? How do we coordinate games and stuff?

When we are in a group we can see who is on and request to que into a game together... or post times when we will be on.

I'm usually on between 7PM to 1AM Pacific time.

We can set up dates and times for events on the steam group page.

Last edited:

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
Has anyone been experiencing server lag (i know its server lag because everyone in the game had it and not just me)? Or unable to connect to DOTA server either when trying to get into a game or spectate a game? Been getting those issues all this evenings.

Yeah, some weird lag last night. It was like the whole game would freeze briefly for a few seconds at a time. Affected everyone in game.

Dijeangenie

Sep 11, 2012
Yeah, some weird lag last night. It was like the whole game would freeze briefly for a few seconds at a time. Affected everyone in game.

Yep, had the same thing over the last few days, once when I was in a situation where I was in a close 1v1 fight mid and I lagged for about 10 seconds, so I presumed I would be dead until I realised everyone had the same problem so he just ran past me!

Dijeangenie

Sep 11, 2012
I've created an in-game chat channel for the group so that people can communicate more easily. The name is: AnandTech - DOTA

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Thanks guys for organizing this.

My steamid is acf3passion.

I normally just solo queue so I can do whatever I want. But I'm finally growing tired of it. I am looking forward to playing with few of you or even coach if you are new.

<-- trash pubstar from Dota 1 era.

Last edited: